JTS released Serbia '14

Started by ComradeP, March 28, 2020, 02:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComradeP

John Tiller Software has sneakily released Serbia '14. If I hadn't checked The Blitz forums, I wouldn't have known.

As usual, the designer notes can be downloaded from the store page, so you can read those for more detailed information prior to buying.

http://johntillersoftware.com/WWICampaigns/Serbia14.html

From the store page linked to above:

QuoteScenarios

28 stand alone scenarios, 4 campaigns to choose from, as well as 4 "Grand Campaign" scenarios designed to play with France '14 and East Prussia '14. Battles include:

Mount Cer
    Syrmia Offensive
    Macva Peninsula
    Mount Jagodnja
    Serbian offensive in Bosnia
    Mackov Kamen
    Drina Stalemate
    Romanja Planina
    Valjevo
    Kolubara (the full battle, as well as separate A-H and Serb offensive phase scenario)
    1st Beograd
    2nd Beograd (1915)
    Pozarevac (1915)
    Timok (1915)
    Bulgarian invasion of Macedonia (1915)
    Krivolak (1915)
    Kragujevac (1915)
    Kosturino (1915)

Campaign scenarios consist of:

The 1st Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia (102 turns)
    The 2nd Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia, which includes a simultaneous Serbian invasion of Syrmia (131 turns)
    The 3rd Austro-Hungarian invasion of Serbia (319 turns)
    The massive 4th Austro-Hungarian and German invasion of Serbia (389 turns), which includes forces from Austro-Hungarian, German and Bulgarian forces against Serbian, Montenegrin, Russian, British and French forces.
    A bonus small campaign/large battle scenario covering the ill fated Serbian invasion of Bosnia to "liberate" Sarajevo, which occurred between 2nd and 3rd Austro-Hungarian invasions of Serbia (278 turns)
    Three Grand Campaign scenarios designed to be played along with Grand Campaigns scenarios for France '14 and East Prussia '14, which are intended to establish context and allow the player influence the outcome of the war across many different scenarios (102 to 389 turns)

Features

Game features include:

Game scale is 1 hex = 1 km, 1 turn = 2 hours, with battalion and company size units.
    Scenario Editor allows players to customize the game and create new scenarios.
    Sub-map feature allows the main map to be "chopped" up into smaller segments for custom scenario creation.
    Multiple play options including play against the computer AI, Play by E-mail (PBEM), LAN & Internet "live" play, and two player hot seat.
    Game engine changes that model the Montenegrin Army's irregular soldiers, Austro-Hungarian mountain troops, expiring objectives that put pressure on the attacker and allow the
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

al_infierno

<:-)

Saw the email today, will be grabbing this one for sure.  I don't get around to spending as much time as I used to with JTS games, but every time I do I get sucked down the rabbit hole.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

gabeeg

If your even moderately interested, the downloadable designer notes mentioned above are pretty amazing...180+ pages and ~50 pages of history, and info on the belligerents and the rest on the game scenarios, game notes, tips and bibliography.  Great stuff.
Kind Regards,
Harry

al_infierno

Quote from: gabeeg on March 28, 2020, 06:07:10 PM
If your even moderately interested, the downloadable designer notes mentioned above are pretty amazing...180+ pages and ~50 pages of history, and info on the belligerents and the rest on the game scenarios, game notes, tips and bibliography.  Great stuff.

Wow!  Now, how do I get this as a paperback?   ;D
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

Very happy with this installment so far.  First scenario I tried is a smaller one - The Irish Delay at Kosturino, 21 turns starting in December 1915 - and I must say, the "expiring objectives" are an awesome addition.  Feels like such an obvious feature that I'm surprised I never noticed the series didn't have them before.  Looking forward to seeing more of that in future JTS titles O0

Also very glad to see the more obscure theaters get some love, of course  ;)

- MengJiao