Yassy's Flames of War endeavors!

Started by Yskonyn, April 14, 2014, 02:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

It has been quite a while since I've bought the Open Fire! starter set of FoW. Work, social life and other distractions prevented me from properly sitting down to get going on the paint job.
They had been staring at me from the shelf, completely assembled, screaming to finally get a paintjob.

I have finally made some progress; what you see here is one of two finished StuG's. A third one still needs to be assembled to make the platoon complete.
After this come the PAKs, then the Grenadier platoons.

Be mindful that I am a beginner when it comes to miniatures and painting, so please be gentle, but don't hesitate to throw me some constructive criticism or overall tips.
The pictures are not that great, but you'll get the idea.

I am pretty happy with this first-time result so far.
Perhaps the camo should be a bit brightened up. The weathering doesn't really show very well on the picture, but its there. Markings are going to be applied once the model is truely finished.

I'll keep this thread updated with my FoW painting endeavors. :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ubercat

I guess not, though they look dipped to me.

Dipping is a fast, easy way to pick out detail on mini's. It's also very good as a protective finish. You paint the basic colors of the models without bothering to shade or highlight. Some people don't even put primer on first though I wouldn't recommend it. Then you "dip" it in a neutral color of Minwax Polyshade or similar substance. It's called dipping but I think most people paint it on with a brush. The lacquer stuff pools in the crevasses, providing automatic shading. You'll never win a Golden Demon award but it looks pretty good.

My painting style is old fashioned and labor intensive. If you're interested in finding out more about dipping you should Google it. I've barely dabbled with the technique but had good results.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Yskonyn

No I basecoated with a black primer, then painted the base colour in layers to get used to the paint.
Then I started with the camo. First a lightened hue of yellow and green/Brown. Then a pure green / Brown layer to strengthen the colour.
Then a black wash for weathering and gentle drybrushing of yellow to blend it All.
Finish off with a ivory drybush as highlights. And painted the details last.

I think the camo may be brighter. And perhaps I should paint dirt on the wheel / skirt area.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Yskonyn

Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

More photo's inbound in a while.