Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier wip

Started by JudgeDredd, August 30, 2015, 08:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

It's an old kit, but I was really keen to get a Sea Harrier and this was available at a very reasonable price.

I'm using enamels for hand painting small parts because the Tamiya Acrylics, whilst excellent for airbrushing, are awful for hand painting. That's something I need address - some hand paints. Maybe Vallejo Model or Mr Hobby.

It's slow progress...

Some pretty poor fitting - but I expected this based on how cheap it was

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

reminds me of my dad, round the dining table on a sunday afternoon

always, always the pilot, cockpit and body sides first!

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JudgeDredd

I'm not going mental with the cockpit and pilot for 3 reasons...

• There's not a lot of detail
  • My eyesight isn't great
  • My hands are not very steady

I've used enamels and some dry brushing - that's all I'm doing. I went a bit overboard with the dry brushing on the helmet, so I might take that down a bit.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Well thanks a bunch - look what I got from my electrician pal!!

I have no idea what I'm doing with it...but I'll give it a go.  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

I believe Mirth said one end goes around the terminal of a car battery and the other goes around your naughty bits.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

I hear ya.  I told him that I didn't see how this would help improve the model but he just said not to worry about it and told me to put on this funny black mask.  I guess the zipper helps keep out the glue fumes but I don't get why they eyes are covered.

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 02, 2015, 03:57:22 PM
I hear ya.  I told him that I didn't see how this would help improve the model but he just said not to worry about it and told me to put on this funny black mask.  I guess the zipper helps keep out the glue fumes but I don't get why they eyes are covered.

Just bend over and think of the Queen.

undercovergeek

Quote from: LongBlade on September 02, 2015, 04:04:30 PM

is that what were calling Mirth this week?

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 02, 2015, 05:03:52 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 02, 2015, 04:04:30 PM

is that what were calling Mirth this week?

Yes, until Star comes out of retirement.

JudgeDredd

I'm currently working on the engine and I have some metal (electrical, copper) wire I was going to add to my model, but I can't seem to get it to stick. I've used Tamiya glue, their extra thin and also Superglue...but nothing seems to stick the copper wire to the plastic.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to use or how else I should get wire to stick to models?

Thanks
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

What about a drop of Elmers' style white glue? It will need a little time to dry thought.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Is that PVA? I think I have some so I'll give it a go...thanks.

It seems to require something more substantial than modelling glue or superglue which are very runny.
Alba gu' brath