Only to be with Friday

Started by Anguille, November 08, 2019, 05:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on November 12, 2019, 03:38:04 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 11, 2019, 04:37:42 PM
Interesting that you're still playing Stardrive 2.  I ended up removing it from my computer. 

I realized there are certain aspects of the game's diplomacy I don't care for (for example, other empires getting mad at you for colonizing planets inside your own borders really annoyed me).  In addition, I finally played often enough into the late game to discover I can't seem to avoid a CTD.  Not sure which bug is the culprit, but either way, I have more than enough other games to play to not waste my time on one that was abandoned by the developer.
Actually, i have some kind of cost benefit analysis of the games i play. I am happy if i have a ratio of 1 hour = 1 dollar spent on a game and this is the number of hours i want to achieve on the games i bought. I payed for Stradrive II 16 dollars and the DLC 10 dollars (= minimum 26 hours)...so far i played 32 hours of Stardrive 2 (a lot less than you i think) and had fun doing so (didn't have any CTD so far) while finishing at least two campaigns.

I lost my campaign yesterday but i think i selected too many stars. Next time i'll go with the standard 70 stars and hope i will this time.  ::)
Oh, I'm definitely not criticizing (apologies if I came off that way).  I was simply stating I'd finally reached a point where Stardrive 2 was no longer worth playing for me, and why. 

Indeed, Steam shows I played SD2 for over 300 hours, so there's no question I got my money's worth.  And given those numbers, I'd be a hypocrite for giving you crap over continuing to play the game in any case.  :P 

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 12, 2019, 01:35:59 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 11, 2019, 05:56:12 PM
I have the super deluxe boxed version of Fallen Enchantress from 100 years ago that came with the pewter dragon and all that jazz.

Me too.  I was so hyped for the game.  Thanks to shipping and customs duty I ended up paying close to £100 for the game!
I still have the original Elemental box with the pewter dragon as well...somewhere.  (It's undoubtedly hiding in one of my too-many unopened boxes.)  I don't think I paid quite as much as you did, but it was still a pretty penny. 

A shame the original game turned out the way it did, and not just for the amount of dinarii we collectively spent on it.  There were some pretty cool concepts & mechanics planned for Elemental that either ended up not being implemented very well, or simply removed entirely. 

Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2019, 02:47:45 PM
Was the original release...in 2012?? God.
2010, actually.  (Just think, Gus; we were both still in our thirties back then!)  :D 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

FlickJax

2010, actually.  (Just think, Gus; we were both still in our thirties back then!)  :D

Kids!!!

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on November 13, 2019, 04:31:17 AM
Quote from: Anguille on November 12, 2019, 03:38:04 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 11, 2019, 04:37:42 PM
Interesting that you're still playing Stardrive 2.  I ended up removing it from my computer. 

I realized there are certain aspects of the game's diplomacy I don't care for (for example, other empires getting mad at you for colonizing planets inside your own borders really annoyed me).  In addition, I finally played often enough into the late game to discover I can't seem to avoid a CTD.  Not sure which bug is the culprit, but either way, I have more than enough other games to play to not waste my time on one that was abandoned by the developer.
Actually, i have some kind of cost benefit analysis of the games i play. I am happy if i have a ratio of 1 hour = 1 dollar spent on a game and this is the number of hours i want to achieve on the games i bought. I payed for Stradrive II 16 dollars and the DLC 10 dollars (= minimum 26 hours)...so far i played 32 hours of Stardrive 2 (a lot less than you i think) and had fun doing so (didn't have any CTD so far) while finishing at least two campaigns.

I lost my campaign yesterday but i think i selected too many stars. Next time i'll go with the standard 70 stars and hope i will this time.  ::)
Oh, I'm definitely not criticizing (apologies if I came off that way).  I was simply stating I'd finally reached a point where Stardrive 2 was no longer worth playing for me, and why. 

Indeed, Steam shows I played SD2 for over 300 hours, so there's no question I got my money's worth.  And given those numbers, I'd be a hypocrite for giving you crap over continuing to play the game in any case.  :P 

Not at all, i was just trying to explain why i am still playing it (don't think i'll ever manage to play it as much as you did). Truth is that is that sometimes, it takes me years before i have the time to get into a game. I still have games in my library i swear i really really want to play but haven't done so for 20 years yet...they are in my library, looking at me and whispering...play me, play me  :D

Gusington

Eek. In 2010 I was 36. And my daughters were 2 and 4.

Now I hide in my study when The Wife and MiniGus 1 and 2 all get their periods at the same time.

Someone send help!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I would think the week BEFORE would be the time to hide because anything with a penis is "The Enemy" then. 2010 Was the year I retired and I STILL have games I haven't played.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Martok on November 13, 2019, 04:31:17 AM
I still have the original Elemental box with the pewter dragon as well...somewhere.  (It's undoubtedly hiding in one of my too-many unopened boxes.)  I don't think I paid quite as much as you did, but it was still a pretty penny. 

Being in the UK I had to pay a lot for shipping.  Then it got stopped at customs and I had to pay another large fee to have it released.  This is on top of the cost of the CE itself of course, which if memory serves was already something like £65.  So yeah, more or less £100 in total.  I do like the game it became though, fortunately.  In fact I don't recall having much of a problem with it initially, although many did.

JasonPratt

Dear mental diary: today I learned that Fallen Enchantress was released 9 years ago already, and also I'm older than Gus.

THE AGE! IT BURRRRRNNNNSSSS!!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Many things are older than me. Dirt, for example.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
Dear mental diary: today I learned that Fallen Enchantress was released 9 years ago already, and also I'm older than Gus.
THE AGE! IT BURRRRRNNNNSSSS!!
Same here...i always thought he was older than me  :pullhair:

Gusington

I win the internet for today, fellers  :2funny:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd