Main Menu

If I Give Up The NFL...

Started by BanzaiCat, January 26, 2015, 12:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

We *had* a hockey team here in Houston, but it was the AHL, not NHL (obviously). Our AHL team (Houston Aeros) moved to Des Moines a couple of years ago. I went to several Aeros games and loved it - it really sucks they left because you could get seats damn near up on the front row for $20. Doubt you could do that in the NHL. Anyway, it was great fun while it lasted.

Since this is Houston, I seriously doubt there will be another team, much less NHL, though there were rumors when Edmunton was bought many years back that they'd move here (LOL @ rumors).

We had Arena Football here, but that was way back in the mid 90s and it didn't last long, which sucks too because those games were fun. Hell, I enjoyed Arena Soccer (Houston Hotshots) too, while it lasted.

I'm not necessarily looking for something I can go watch in person (again, obviously, because I live in a shite town). The Rockets suck, the Texans are way way way overpriced for being a mediocre team, and I'm not taking my life in my hands to go watch our "pro" soccer team (I have zero interest in them anyway).

bayonetbrant

Actually, your MLS team is pretty good.  They've played for several MLS cups and had a handful of guys who are/were regulars for the USMNT - Brian Ching, Stuart Holden, Brad Evans, Ricardo Clark, Damarcus Beasley (only US player to appear in 4 World Cups), Brian Mullan, and Chris Wondolowski (before anyone knew who he was)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 26, 2015, 08:34:25 PM
Actually, your MLS team is pretty good.  They've played for several MLS cups and had a handful of guys who are/were regulars for the USMNT - Brian Ching, Stuart Holden, Brad Evans, Ricardo Clark, Damarcus Beasley (only US player to appear in 4 World Cups), Brian Mullan, and Chris Wondolowski (before anyone knew who he was)

This being true would require me knowing who he is now ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Quote from: MetalDog on January 26, 2015, 08:53:19 PM

This being true would require me knowing who he is now ;)

You're not alone, brother.

Though I can appreciate they are big names in the sport, the only one I know is Beckham, and that's because of popular culture. And the LA Galaxy, for the same reason. Other than that, I know shite about the MLS...which is more than I know about the Premier League. :)

bayonetbrant

Wondo has been one of the top goal-scorers in MLS for several years now and was on the 2014 World Cup team. He missed the simple tap in shoot at the end of regulation time against Belgium that would've sent the US through to quarterfinals
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

So, he's the Tony Romo of soccer?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 27, 2015, 07:47:48 AMSo, he's the Tony Romo of soccer?

He's the Scott Norwood of soccer - pretty good performer who choked once on the biggest stage and will forever be defined by it.  He's not (so far) been a serial playoff/stretch run choke artist

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 27, 2015, 08:04:38 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 27, 2015, 07:47:48 AMSo, he's the Tony Romo of soccer?

He's the Scott Norwood of soccer - pretty good performer who choked once on the biggest stage and will forever be defined by it.  He's not (so far) been a serial playoff/stretch run choke artist

Yeah, I remember Norwood - was watching that Super Bowl and clearly remember his miss. :)

GDS_Starfury

I think you should learn the art of tantric sex.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

Sounds like Star is offering to teach you.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Mirth might get jealous. I won't bring that kind of IT wrath on me and my computer, thanks.

Gusington

When I was in college I occasionally went to Albany River Rats (AHL) games...great fun and at that time tickets were like 5 dollah.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I think I caught 10 seconds total of the Super Bowl last night, and that was purely by accident. I heard it was a good game but strangely, I feel no pang of guilt for missing it. I also heard the commercials were terrible, so it's just as well.

bayonetbrant

the commercials were thoroughly unmemorable

Barthheart

Go with Hockey.

The season lasts from October to June so lots of watching to be had.
Great fast paced game. Not a lot of down time.
Learn to watch the players no the puck. You can tell where the puck is by how the players move. This is lost on a lot of people when they start watching the sport, including one US network with the glowing pucks....  ::)

There's enough of us Canuks on here to answer any questions you might have. :coolsmiley:

Go Sens!  O0