Main Menu

If I Give Up The NFL...

Started by BanzaiCat, January 26, 2015, 12:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Opie and Jim were bashing the commercials this morning, so I heard all about the Godawful Nationwide one - and saw the meme for it too...LOL.

Also heard about the stupid "make it happy" initiative that Coke was trying. Clearly, Coke does not understand the Internet. Jim Norton tweeted this morning, "I need to hop in the shower, but my crying wife and those damn paramedics won't get the hell out of my way. #MakeItHappy #Nationwide"

:2funny:

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on February 02, 2015, 09:34:31 AMThe season lasts from October to June so lots of watching to be had.
Soccer in Europe runs August - May, with international tournaments over the summer.  MLS runs March - November, so plenty of overlap.  You can pretty much watch soccer year-round if you want :)
(As an aside, FIFA keeps yelling at MLS to get on the "international calendar" that include games in DEC-JAN-FEB;  MLS keeps pointing out that January games outdoors in Toronto, Salt Lake City, Foxborough, Montreal, Vancouver, Chicago, and Denver are pretty dumb.  MLS will never build in the massive 'winter break' that Russia / Sweden / Norway do b/c they're not going to leave the sports pages for 6 weeks and have to recapture everyone's attention)

Quote from: Barthheart on February 02, 2015, 09:34:31 AMGreat fast paced game. Not a lot of down time.
More down time than a soccer match

Quote from: Barthheart on February 02, 2015, 09:34:31 AMLearn to watch the players no the puck. You can tell where the puck is by how the players move. This is lost on a lot of people when they start watching the sport, including one US network with the glowing pucks....  ::)
Yeah, the glowing puck was stupid.  Thankfully, they're not using it anymore, and national broadcasts aren't even on Fox.

The advice about watching away from the puck is good advice in hockey, and soccer, and basketball, too.  Once you know what you're looking at, it's amazing how much more of the game you see.  There was a great play in the Newcastle-Hull game this weekend where the winger without the ball took off toward the sideline like he was opening up for a pass; the defender went with him, and left too big of a gap between him and the central defender, and the guy with the ball took abou 3 more dribbles and blasted a shot for a goal.  Perfect "beginner" example of how moving without the ball can have a big impact.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Soccer is right behind basketball and then baseball as the most boring sports to watch in TV. Even curling is better to watch than any of those three.  :uglystupid2:

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on February 02, 2015, 10:27:29 AM
Soccer is right behind basketball and then baseball as the most boring sports to watch in TV. Even curling is better to watch than any of those three.  :uglystupid2:

+1 !!!!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

meh, to each their own.

I'm not going to try to convince someone they have to like something they don't want to.  I enjoy soccer because it's constantly moving and flowing, it is tactical and strategic at the same time, because you really have to think hard about your personnel groupings / man management since you have limited subs, and because it's very neatly time-boxed (2 hours for a full broadcast) with almost no commercials. 

Over the long haul, the more I've paid attention to soccer leagues and not just individual games or players or tournaments, the more I appreciate that the "champion" of the league is the team that proved it on the field over the entire season, not the team that got hot at tournament time.  The endurance challenge managing a squad over 8 months, with injuries, transfers, fatigue, current form, etc. is something I've really come to appreciate, and really changes your view on how the entire season is structured.

That's my 2c - I'm way past the point in my life of trying to convince you it has to be your 2c too :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2015, 11:12:19 AM
with almost no commercials. 

Hmm...that's a HUGE plus in favor. I hate commercials on principle and the NFL's are just terrible, especially those awful domestic violence ones. Especially highly annoying when they come back from a commercial break to tell me "The NFL is brought to you today by" and then recount each of the terrible sponsors we just had to sit through. And then added bonus when the whore out the names of the halftime report, sideline reports, weather reports, or just about anything they can. It's highly, HIGHLY annoying and a big reason why I don't sit through football games anymore.

Biz is biz, I get that - but Jesus Christ, let up on the pedal you frigging pimps.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Barthheart on February 02, 2015, 10:27:29 AM

If the doctor gives me a week to live, I want the time counted like the last 2 minutes of an NBA game. I'll have months!
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

BanzaiCat

Watching a baseball game is like sitting down to read a book that has one word per page and you have to spend at least ten minutes on each page before you can look at the next one.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 02, 2015, 12:46:21 PM
Watching a baseball game is like sitting down to read a book that has one word per page and you have to spend at least ten minutes on each page before you can look at the next one.

That's the beauty of baseball. It has a pace that is totally different than any other sport. It's the perfect summer sport.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

GDS_Starfury

or.... you could say fuck it and play more games.  ya might even get good at some.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Centurion40

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 26, 2015, 01:04:25 PM
Thanks for the resources; I'll check 'em out.

Women's curling? I'm almost afraid to Google it. Almost.  :D

The best part about Women's Curling, is that they let you drink beer in the arena whilst you watch it.

Any time is a good time for pie.