Old games you wish were remade / updated

Started by jamus34, February 12, 2017, 04:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slick Wilhelm

Gus, don't you remember the PR disaster that is Jim Rose? Wow, the forums were up in arms about his so-called "customer service."

And that UI. So cumbersome.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: jamus34 on February 12, 2017, 04:26:55 PM
So seeing solops post for Epidemic on Gus's Plague Inc thread I was wondering what games people would like to see modernized. There are of new games / imaginings that get close but don't have the feel of it.

A personal couple of favorites are:

The Roadwar series (Roadwar 2000, Roadwar Europa) - imagine a mashup of the internal politics of CKII with a Mad Max vibe and a open world / world conquering of say Mount and Blade.

Autoduel / Car Wars - I guess Convoy kinda has the feel of it but it is more roguelike rather than open world.

The old EA / Interplay RPG's (Bards Tale, Wasteland, Legacy of the Ancients, The Mars Saga, Dragon Wars) - I mean I guess this style / type of game has faded into obscurity but dammit sometimes I don't want to learn 20 different systems for a game...just give me something I can sit down and play.

Red Storm Rising - Proof positive that you can build a great game with minimal graphics (didn't even need the weapon animations) as long as the UI affords enough feedback to the user. I wish devs would learn this lesson better...although the deluge of indie titles has helped.

Anyway - there's my relative shortlist.

Task Force '42 -- that was an atmospheric game even in the early 1990s.  The modern graphics and spiffied up code it would be a marvel.

MengJiao

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on February 14, 2017, 05:17:31 PM
Jutland and Distant Guns, this time created with a real UI and produced by a different company than Storm Eagle Studios.  :dreamer:

Yep and extended to the Solomons in 1942.

MengJiao

Quote from: Anguille on February 14, 2017, 01:59:25 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 13, 2017, 06:43:13 PM
I just remembered how much fun I had with Task Force 1942. 

I'd like to see another Task Force 1942.

:'(
Great game!

right right right right!!!

bbmike

Quote from: MengJiao on February 14, 2017, 08:25:10 PM
Quote from: Anguille on February 14, 2017, 01:59:25 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 13, 2017, 06:43:13 PM
I just remembered how much fun I had with Task Force 1942. 

I'd like to see another Task Force 1942.

:'(
Great game!

right right right right!!!

Task Force 1942. Not only was I surprised to find that it is on Steam, I was even more surprised that I own it.  :-[
Maybe I shouldn't be.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Jutland and Distant Guns, this time created with a real UI and produced by a different company than Storm Eagle Studios.  :dreamer:
This.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Quote from: Hot lead and dirty talk! on February 14, 2017, 04:17:20 PM
EA's Seal Team

That's the Vietnam FPS game, right?

Absolutely it should be remade and updated! -- hopefully this time without the insane bugs! (Other than the clouds of mosquitos.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Cyrano on February 14, 2017, 03:59:30 PM
via Imgflip Meme Generator

...I dunno, I distinctly recall babes looking at me with a mixture of disdain and smirking mockery.  :))
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Phantom

Quote from: Destraex on February 15, 2017, 08:04:55 AM
This.
Just re-doing Fighting Steel would probably fit the bill - especially for the pre-dreadnought/dreadnought era.

Reckall

Flight Commander 2.

Planescape: Torment's "spiritual successor", "Tides of Numenra" is already available for pre-order. It was developed by the same team.

Regarding PS:T, I would be happy with the kind of "modernisation" they did to Baldur's Gate I & II.

mirth

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on February 14, 2017, 07:30:13 PM
Gus, don't you remember the PR disaster that is Jim Rose? Wow, the forums were up in arms about his so-called "customer service."

JR redefined paranoia.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

IIRC there are graphics mods out there that update the look of Planescape: Torment.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd