Belle Geddes Midway Dioramas

Started by mirth, May 28, 2014, 05:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

skeptical.platypus

Wait a minute. Are the photos in that link photos of the diorama? Like including the one of Sand Island?
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

I first saw these in the Time/Life Epic of Flight book "The Carrier War". The idea was to convey to the folks back home what the battle looked like but with the realization that no one could have been in all the right places at the right times to get good photos. It is impressive modeling work.

I have seen some of the models used by the AAF to help with target location during WWII. Incredible amount of detail in a tabletop space.

Good stuff mirth!
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: mirth on May 29, 2014, 02:06:52 PM
Yep. Pretty wild, ain't it?

That doesn't begin to describe it. I don't think I would ever look at least the Sands Island picture and not think it was actual without someone telling me it's not real.

I'm curious, do these photos trigger "uncanny valley" for anyone? I'm aware of the concept, but wondered if I'm susceptible. I've never seen anything that strikes me as "uncannily" or "uncomfortably" fake real (unless you count Alien Bishop's milky blood and intestines. That still sort of freaks me out).

Since these photos are so realistic to me I couldn't tell the difference, I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing, like the uncanny valley.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Staggerwing

I think the 'Uncanny Valley' effect is more appropriate to impressions of anthropomorphic phenomena, such as androids, than models of ships and islands.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 29, 2014, 06:11:50 PM
I think the 'Uncanny Valley' effect is more appropriate to impressions of anthropomorphic phenomena, such as androids, than models of ships and islands.

Now that you mention it, I've heard that too.

Regardless, thanks much to mirth and belle geddes. It's seldom you get to have your preconceptions yanked slightly askew in such a cool way!

GDS_Starfury

man... to play some games on this!

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

no... not the same work but still.  :uglystupid2:

skeptical.platypus

^Wow. Just wow.

That Futurama city is bigger than any metropolis I've achieved in simcity.

(I gotta say tho, some of his work hasn't aged quite as well as others. Futurama looks practically animated now -- at least to me.)