Hunt the Kaiser's Cruisers (WWI Documentary)

Started by Atilla60, August 09, 2014, 03:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atilla60

I stumbled on this 2-episodes documentary the other day. Never heard of it before and after watching it, I can highly recommend it.
It's 2x52 minutes and covers the faith of the cruisers: Emden and Dresden (part of the German overseas navy in WWI)

It's two amazing stories, well worth the time.

Episode 1: The Caravan of Sailors

Episode 2: The Last Ship Afloat

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Those are both great stories. I saw them a while back but had forgotten about them. Thanks for bringing it back to our attention.

Those who have not watched, start them only when you can watch them all the way through because interruptions will be infuriating!

On a related note, I just finished reading Beware Raiders by Bernard Edwards. It's a great read predominantly about two vastly different WW2 German commerce raiders: the heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper and the armed merchantman Penguin.

Guess which one ended up the most successful surface commerce raider of the German fleet and in the top 15 if you also include u-boats?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Coolness!  Will definitely have to check these out when I have time.  Thanks for sharing, Atilla

Quote from: Gusington on August 09, 2014, 08:52:09 PM
Er...not the Penguin, eh? Inconceivable!
Okay, now you're just trying to draw me out.  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd