69 Years Ago Today

Started by bayonetbrant, June 06, 2013, 05:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Wow, it's hard to believe D-Day was that long ago. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

Ouch! When I first started reading about WW2 as a kid it had only been about 26 years ago that D-Day took place.

I must be officially old...  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

May we never forget the courage and sacrifice of that generation.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Agreed. Thanks for posting that, Brant.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

steve58

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 06, 2013, 07:21:12 AM
May we never forget the courage and sacrifice of that generation.

One of few things that Tom Brokaw has said that I can agree with...they were the greatest generation!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Agreed. It doesn't feel like so long ago...it almost felt kinda recent growing up.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grimnirsson

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

bob48

Since this is worth commemorating, and in a Grog honour to all those who participated, lets nominate our favourite D-Day books, films and games.

I'll kick off with GMT's 'Normandy '44' which I'll be playing this weekend.

For the film, I guess it has to be 'Longest day'

There a lots of books, but I'll nominate 'Decision in Normandy' by Carlo D'este.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

I'm making Bayonet Jr watch The Longest Day tonight :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 06, 2013, 04:55:57 PM
I'm making Bayonet Jr watch The Longest Day tonight :)

Great movie.  Not sure if I will watch The Longest Day, Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers tonight.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

It's Saving Private Ryan for me. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

Electric_Strawberry

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 06, 2013, 05:25:11 AM

When I bought Avalon Hill's "D-Day" back around 1962 or so, that NY Times front page was the predominate box art.  I'll always remember that.

bayonetbrant

heya Strawberry - welcome back!