2018 Running Baseball Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, January 23, 2018, 11:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

this from 2012.  Still hilarious.

https://www.sbnation.com/2012/8/7/3226043/houston-astros-bad-play-oh-man-what-is-this-i-dont-even

do not - I repeat, DO NOT - read point #3 while drinking anything
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

BanzaiCat

Jesus, those Astros. So used to seeing them as a basement team. Really awesome to see they've become a dominator.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 19, 2018, 11:18:39 AM
Jesus, those Astros. So used to seeing them as a basement team. Really awesome to see they've become a dominator.

They sucked from 2010-2014 or so.  They unexpectedly made the playoffs in 2015, a year or so ahead of schedule, so when they didn't make it in 2016, people thought it was a disappointment.  But they built smart, and they did it without some of the top draft picks (Mark Appel, anyone?) but by drafting really well below the first round.

That said, I've been an Astros fan long enough that I can still name most of the '81-'82-'83 starting lineup....

BanzaiCat

Jose Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz...

My dad took us to several Astros games back in the very early 80s. Usually when they were playing the Pirates, for a reason I can't recall (might have just been timing).

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

my favorite note from today's HoF induction articles, about Vlad Guerrero

QuoteHe is one of nine players with a career batting average of .315 and a slugging percentage of .550. Of the other eight, seven are in the Hall of Fame (a list that includes Babe Ruth and Ted Williams). The other is still active (Miguel Cabrera).

MetalDog

That's just sick.  And he would swing at anything.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on July 27, 2018, 10:09:12 PM

favorite anecdote to illustrate that:  he hit a double once on a pitch that bounced.

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 28, 2018, 06:02:51 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 27, 2018, 10:09:12 PM

favorite anecdote to illustrate that:  he hit a double once on a pitch that bounced.

I was thinking of that same at bat.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Ohhhhh, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck
if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
And how many peppers could a picker pick
if Peter Piper could?
And down by the seashore
how many shells could a shell seller sell?
If you can sing this funny songggg,
you're doing very well!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus