Main Menu

Rugby World Cup 2015

Started by JudgeDredd, August 14, 2015, 08:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I didn't see this coming yesterday before the game I have to say...but pleased is the word I would use.

Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

When you look at it as a purely paper exercise - you should easily get out of that group

JudgeDredd

I have learned over many years not to take anything for granted when I'm talking about Scotland and football or rugby. Japan's win over SA has helped us. We could do with them beating Samoa too.

But it's not over until the fat lady sings and that is never truer than when you are talking about Scotland and sport.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2015, 02:18:43 AM
But it's not over until the fat lady sings and that is never truer than when you are talking about Scotland and sport.

because of all the fat ladies in your team?  >:D

JudgeDredd

lol - something like that  :-X
Alba gu' brath

Pinetree

That was well played by Scotland. They played the basics well in the first half and just let the Japanese run out of steam. They looked pretty tired in the second half, that 4 day turnaround did them no favours.

All Blacks have got Namibia in the morning (NZ time) but I've got to get the kids up and ready for school & kindy so I'll probably miss most of it. Namibia are ranked 20th and this should be fairly regulation for the ABs. Completely different XV than the one that bet the Pumas though so you never know.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

JudgeDredd

Ok...I love you all...but can all my US pals have a word...Scotland need to win big tomorrow 😁
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Major slip up by England last night.

They now have to do a 2003 on Australia (whom I can see taking top spot in the table today)
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Good game but arse result - well done to the Welsh for simply not giving up

bayonetbrant

well, you've got the US today, so.....

.... you still be atop the group afterwards
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

USA are putting in massive his and really affecting Scotland's confidence

It's by no means a foregone conclusion liking at how the a States are playing
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

So...Wales through after their win against Fiji?? Seems like it.

England v Australia is SUCH a HUGE match tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it.

My assessment for tomorrow...?

Samoa v Japan
Samoa had a decent win against USA and a bad defeat at the hands of the Springboks. Japan on the other hand had a huge win against the Springboks and a bad defeat against Scotland. This one is up in the air.

Samoa strength against Japanese speed.

My money is on Japan. They need to turn up against another team to show it wasn't a one off...and from what I saw how they played against the Springboks - they can play well.

Scotland v South Africa
Scotland could upset the apple cart tomorrow. South Africa aren't really firing on all cylinders yet and Scotland are scoring tries and (more importantly?) defending reasonably. I think it'll be a close game - but my money and heart are on Scotland. That could be blind faith though...

England v Australia
England - I think they'll pull it off tomorrow. English pride (and a bit of arrogance) will not let them lose. They will be the only host nation to exit in the group stage if they lose - so I think they will pull themselves in and play a game. Will Australia let them? Who knows. Australia always want to take England to task for 2003. Unfortunately for England - if they "just" pip the win, it may not be enough. With the bonus point system, Australia could be beaten tomorrow and still be ahead of England (if Australia are within a try score of the England)...it's going to be an amazing game I feel. I think England will win...and I think they will win by enough to "jump" Australia in the table.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

It seems it WAS blind faith. South Africa decided to play today. Very worryingly, they were massive in the forwards. Everytime Scotland were tackled they were either stopped dead or pushed back. South Africa were completely contrary to that - making good yards on every carry.

Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

I can see were hopelessly outclassed - time to dig my sporran out and become a jock fan for the rest of the cup or maybe that daffodil and leek combo I have somewhere

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2015, 02:48:45 PM
I can see were hopelessly outclassed - time to dig my sporran out and become a jock fan for the rest of the cup or maybe that daffodil and leek combo I have somewhere
lol - I wouldn't bother with the Sporran - as a Scot, I can guarantee you you will be disappointed!

Go with the daffodil - at least there's a chance there - injuries and all!  O0

Saying that - I've got a fiver on England to win. There's a bit of a climb, but there's a second half to go!
Alba gu' brath