The 2015 Baseball Thread

Started by MetalDog, February 02, 2015, 07:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Yep, I was always a Griffey fan as well. That turf in the Kingdome absolutely wrecked his legs the same as the Olympic Stadium turf did with Andre Dawson.

Bison

Watched the season opener last night between the Cardinals and the Cubs.  I really enjoyed the game with Curt Schilling and John Kruk doing the broadcast.  The Cubs are not going to be good again this year.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on April 06, 2015, 09:50:50 AM
Watched the season opener last night between the Cardinals and the Cubs.  I really enjoyed the game with Curt Schilling and John Kruk doing the broadcast.  The Cubs are not going to be good again this year.

They have some wicked prospect in their system though. They could be a surprise this year. Then again they are the Cubs.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Arctic Blast

They might have a shot at third. It's not like the Brewers or Reds look particularly awesome this year.

Bison

I don't think the cubs have the offense.  The reds have some strong offensive potential.   I expect the the brewers to return to the basement.

MetalDog

The Brewers will fall flat with their pitching.  The Reds will have days they hit their way to wins and days where the pitching leads.  Don't know if there will be enough of either.  St. Louis will again be the class of the division.  They have the arms, the defense and the bats to do the damage.  That leaves Chicago and Pittsburgh to battle for second and one or both of the Wild Cards.  I would trust Chicago before Pittsburgh.  As much as I hate the AL East pedigrees of the primaries, Joe Maddon and Theo Epstein, I saw what they could do and I think it bodes well for the Cubs.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Arctic Blast

Man, I think the Pirates have a great team. Absolutely badass young outfield, their infielders and pitchers are moving up now...sadly, they're stuck in a division with the unstoppable baseball Terminator known as the St. Louis Cardinals.

I like the direction that the Cubs are moving in, but I think there's a pretty significant drop from St. Louis and the Pirates before you reach the rest of the NL Central.

Marty Ward

Don't you just love it when your closer comes in, pitches 1/3 of an inning and gives up 4 runs. :)
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

MetalDog

Yes, it's April 24th, but, the Houston Astros are in first place.  Then again, so are the Mets.

bayonetbrant

The Mets are much more likely to stay there.

Here's how far I've written off the Astros, as being a lifelong fan since 1980:  Until you posted that, I had no idea where they were in the standing this year.

Once Bud shipped them to the AL to protect his precious Brewers, I gave up on baseball as a league.  I still play in the fantasy league here to keep the numbers up, but I honestly don't give 2 shits about MLB anymore, and it is very, very rare that it's ever on our TV.  My son can name maybe 5 baseball players.  He can name 5 members of Chelsea FC in London off the top of his head.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Well it's the opposite for me.  Baseball is about the only sport I watch anymore.  I always have the Royals game on in the background TV or radio.  I must admit one of my secret pleasures in life is listening to AM radio broadcasts of baseball games.

MetalDog

I wish I understood the hate for baseball.  It's like the hate atheists have for deists.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

Day games during the week are AWESOME!  Some baseball to listen to while I work.

bayonetbrant

I don't hate the sport of baseball.  I hate what MLB/Bud did to the Astros
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

What he did evened out the leagues so that divisions would all be equal.  That he took Houston makes no difference to me.  As a matter of fact, as long as it wasn't a team that's been around for 100 years, I don't care WHICH one he moved. 

I really think baseball should go much further than they do.  Shorten the season.  Break it in to halves so teams that are out have a fresh start for the second half.  I think they should do something to improve the immediacy of the game.  The reason football is king is because they play one game, once a week, and there's only sixteen in a season.  Baseball can have as many as seven a week.  Make it so that series wins count.  That's what your playoffs are, series.  So, set the schedules so that the series played each week count for some overarching playoff decider.  And I wish people would quit bitching about length of game.  People that like baseball enough to watch it on tv aren't interested in how long it takes to finish.  Everyone else is just piling on.  There's more, but, I am hoping Rob Manfred will light a fire under these old guys asses and get some changes made!

bayonetbrant

I know *why* he did it. I don't like that he did it to a team that had been in the NL since their inception, unlike the Brewers