Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Sir Slash

New video posted at the TW Center showing new features and changes. I like the new unit cards look. It's here... http://twcenter.net    Enjoy.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 14, 2014, 12:25:56 PM
New video posted at the TW Center showing new features and changes. I like the new unit cards look. It's here... http://twcenter.net    Enjoy.

Wow!  Looks great, but I've been a total fanboi since I played the demo for Shogun2, so Attila looks fantastic to me.

Gusington

Can't wait to check it out once I am in front of a proper computer...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

It looks like February 17, 2015 is the expected release date.

Gusington

Saw that earlier. That gives me roughly four months to get in a couple of more regular Rome 2 campaigns, as well as campaigns of Shadow of Mordor, AoW3, WOFF, Wings, and Shogun 2. Because once Attila comes out I know that's all I'm going to be playing for at least 2-3 months. Plus I haven't really got my money's worth yet from Rome 2 @ about 150 hours in.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on November 24, 2014, 10:39:03 PM
Saw that earlier. That gives me roughly four months to get in a couple of more regular Rome 2 campaigns, as well as campaigns of Shadow of Mordor, AoW3, WOFF, Wings, and Shogun 2. Because once Attila comes out I know that's all I'm going to be playing for at least 2-3 months. Plus I haven't really got my money's worth yet from Rome 2 @ about 150 hours in.

Yep, Attila is the next big game for me too.  So that gives me a few months to play Shogun2 again, Far cries 3-4 and so on.

Sir Slash

And we get a special new DLC, "The Viking Forefathers" which includes the Danes, the Geats, and the Jutes. Free at pre-order of Attila. I understand the Jutes come with special boots just for Ass-Kicking purposes. But Geats is more fun to say. Check it out... http://twcenter.net
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 25, 2014, 10:25:27 AM
And we get a special new DLC, "The Viking Forefathers" which includes the Danes, the Geats, and the Jutes. Free at pre-order of Attila. I understand the Jutes come with special boots just for Ass-Kicking purposes. But Geats is more fun to say. Check it out... http://twcenter.net

As usual, the world through the eyes of gamers as imagined by marketing types, has its puzzling side.  For example, in the fifth century, the dangerous Germanic tribes (aside from Vandals, Goths, Burgundians, Lombards, etc. etc.) were the Saxons, Angles and Jutes (hey!  They made both lists!).  The Saxons even had a special blade named for them.  One would think the actual pagan tribes would be more interesting than some theoretical proto-Vikings, but marketing the fifth century in any form seems to be a chore.  Good thing Attila's reputation has been kept burnished bright since apparently even the Vandals ring no bells in imaginary gaming brains.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on November 25, 2014, 10:38:31 AM

As usual, the world through the eyes of gamers as imagined by marketing types, has its puzzling side.  For example, in the fifth century, the dangerous Germanic tribes (aside from Vandals, Goths, Burgundians, Lombards, etc. etc.) were the Saxons, Angles and Jutes (hey!  They made both lists!).  The Saxons even had a special blade named for them.  One would think the actual pagan tribes would be more interesting than some theoretical proto-Vikings, but marketing the fifth century in any form seems to be a chore.  Good thing Attila's reputation has been kept burnished bright since apparently even the Vandals ring no bells in imaginary gaming brains.

The Vikings, much like the Spartans, have been overrepresented recently in strategy gaming and media circles compared to the huge array and variety of other cultures & factions in their respective periods. 

Much of the recent extra hype due to movies and cable shows.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on November 25, 2014, 12:12:07 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 25, 2014, 10:38:31 AM

The Vikings, much like the Spartans, have been overrepresented recently in strategy gaming and media circles compared to the huge array and variety of other cultures & factions in their respective periods. 

Much of the recent extra hype due to movies and cable shows.

Vikings I can understand -- but you're getting proto-Vikings here.  That's like selling an early atmospheric steam engine to the Tiger Tank crowd as a proto-Tiger Tank.  Now admittedly, a game that featured early steam engines would be wonderful, and the proto-Vikings will no doubt add spice to the problems of finding allies in Germania Superior, but, what?  Saxons won't sell?  There was a whole Imperial command named for either containing them or employing them or both.   I guess I should be happy anyone even noticed that anything happened after Sparta quit working for the Persians and lost their funding.

Gusington

The Vandals may be my first play through, then the Byzantines.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

It does seem a little early for the Vikings, but I'm not gonna be the one to tell them they got to go home. :knuppel2: I get what you're saying Ming. But why not throw the Mongols and the Turks in too.?

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 25, 2014, 01:53:57 PM
It does seem a little early for the Vikings, but I'm not gonna be the one to tell them they got to go home. :knuppel2: I get what you're saying Ming. But why not throw the Mongols and the Turks in too.?

The thing is I think it is absolutely wonderful that anyone -- much less a big game -- is paying any attention at all to the fifth century.  It is odd that even if you do pay attention to the fifth century, you have to sell whole tribes as "proto-Vikings" as if too admit, the fifth century on its own does actually exist in one of those mysterious cultural voids that form outside of Tiger Tanks (I mean Panzers, what's wrong with me!!?)and Spartans.  Now I feel as though the actual Vikings might have a cultural void sneaking up on them when King Arthur somehow becomes popcultural again.  Not likely.  After all what antique sppedlunker of obsolete knightly virtue is to be preferred to good, honest plundering and so on?  How can I assume proto-manly postures?  How can I be elite with primitive engineering?  It's a slippery slope: first the protovikings, then the atmospheric steam engine as proto-tiger tank, then the Venetians as ex-Spartans and so on.  Pretty soon there will be no cultural voids -- we'll be able to play anything as long as it is sold as something else.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 25, 2014, 02:38:57 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on November 25, 2014, 01:53:57 PM

The thing is I think it is absolutely wonderful that anyone -- much less a big game -- is paying any attention at all to the fifth century.  It is odd that even if you do pay attention to the fifth century, you have to sell whole tribes as "proto-Vikings" as if too admit, the fifth century on its own does actually exist in one of those mysterious cultural voids that form outside of Tiger Tanks (I mean Panzers, what's wrong with me!!?)and Spartans.  Now I feel as though the actual Vikings might have a cultural void sneaking up on them when King Arthur somehow becomes popcultural again.  Not likely.  After all what antique sppedlunker of obsolete knightly virtue is to be preferred to good, honest plundering and so on?  How can I assume proto-manly postures?  How can I be elite with primitive engineering?  It's a slippery slope: first the protovikings, then the atmospheric steam engine as proto-tiger tank, then the Venetians as ex-Spartans and so on.  Pretty soon there will be no cultural voids -- we'll be able to play anything as long as it is sold as something else.

This reminds me of two things:

first the atmospheric steam engine: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomen_atmospheric_engine

Second the RPS review of Far Cry 4 that says the game is fine after you clear off the marketing and the plot and the plot missions.  Which magically the coop mode does!  Well not the marketing, of course, there you still have the old man against himself, man against man, man against nature skulldrudgery.