Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Me too. Plus the increasing number of map overlays...which for me is a good thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 01, 2014, 02:17:01 PM
Well, Nef, characters relations never mattered in TW before... In Atilla they seems to matter for the first time. That was my CK2 reference.  :)

Oh.  I suppose.

It just looked more like some of the old hereditary stuff from the original STW/MTW with an extra feature or two.  They kinda half-ass attempted some of these extra CK2-like features in R2TW but it sucked.  Hopefully they don't add more suck to the next one, and do a better job of it.

Toonces

Pre-ordering a Total War game?  What can possibly go wrong?   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on December 01, 2014, 07:46:41 PM
Pre-ordering a Total War game?  What can possibly go wrong?   ::)

:2funny:

Yskonyn

Lol!
I have pre ordered most of my TW collection and always got my money's worth out of every title so far. :)
The amount of bitching about the games is second to none in the TW community. Lots of entitled whiners IMO.
TW games are cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Martok

Am debating whether to pre-order this one or not. 

I've really enjoyed Rome II, and I can't help but believe CA will do at least as well with Attila.  The new features interest me as well. 

On the other hand, I'm not as interested in the late Roman period as I am the early/middle period (although I retain a degree of interest).  In addition, I'm pretty turned off by all the bombast we've seen in the media blitz thus far, not to mention the ridiculous labeling of certain DLC ("Viking fore-fathers"? really? ::) ).  And of course, I've long had a "thing" about not liking to pre-order games (and Total War titles in particular). 

I'll probably hold off in the end (knowing me), but I'm still tempted... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

FlickJax

I want to know what happened to the warhammer game they were  meant to be making?

Nefaro

Quote from: FlickJax on December 02, 2014, 08:26:43 AM
I want to know what happened to the warhammer game they were  meant to be making?

This.

:coolsmiley:

Gusington

By using the new math, the Warhammer title will be CA's 2016 release.

I love the Dark Age era...the fall of Rome is something I never get bored of reading about. Attila was a no-brainer preorder for me, despite the possible pitfalls.

I'm pretty sure I will get at least 200 hours worth of gameplay out of it, if my play of Rome 2 or Shogun 2 are any indication.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Martok on December 02, 2014, 08:14:00 AM
Am debating whether to pre-order this one or not. 

I've really enjoyed Rome II, and I can't help but believe CA will do at least as well with Attila.  The new features interest me as well. 

On the other hand, I'm not as interested in the late Roman period as I am the early/middle period (although I retain a degree of interest).  In addition, I'm pretty turned off by all the bombast we've seen in the media blitz thus far, not to mention the ridiculous labeling of certain DLC ("Viking fore-fathers"? really? ::) ).  And of course, I've long had a "thing" about not liking to pre-order games (and Total War titles in particular). 

I'll probably hold off in the end (knowing me), but I'm still tempted...

I'm so happy with the simple idea of any Dark Age gaming (what?  No Tiger Tanks?  No Vikings?  No Spartans? ) that I am working hard to discount my own opinion (since it is nothing but an exclamation of "NEATO!")...so, I think Attila will be a good game despite all the overworked attempts to hype the Huns as being somehow unimaginable -- as in "of course you can't imagine them -- they are so far beyond Vikings and Tiger tanks and Spartans as to be unimaginable!  Trying to work the void in the mind against itself -- you look deep deep into the place where you don't see a Tiger Tank or a FW190 or a Spartan or a Viking and there, in the realm of shapeless dread is something shapeless -- the Huns (of course it might just be the fifth century, but that's something marketing said, "And by the way, the less you say about the fifth century the better, just keep beating on the mindless horror angle -- you can sell anything with enough mindless horror, right?).

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned its a happy accident and I assume the game will be an unpopular masterpiece, hated by the professional haters and treasured by me and a few people who I cannot imagine except as non-Tanks and non-Vikings and non-Spartans.

Sir Slash

Carthage had Tiger tanks. They were called "War Elephants". They didn't have 88's but got much better gas mileage. They can call this game anything they want but it's looking more like Barbarian Invasion 2 to me. And that's a very good thing. Also I can see an easy transition to Medieval TW3.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I can see that too. I hope not because I am still holding out for Victoria: Total War...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 02, 2014, 03:40:42 PM
Carthage had Tiger tanks. They were called "War Elephants". They didn't have 88's but got much better gas mileage. They can call this game anything they want but it's looking more like Barbarian Invasion 2 to me. And that's a very good thing. Also I can see an easy transition to Medieval TW3.

They weren't very good in the snow, though.

:buck2:

Sir Slash

No because elephants can't wear snowshoes. But they can wear ice skates Great, big ice skates.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 03, 2014, 12:13:04 AM
No because elephants can't wear snowshoes. But they can wear ice skates Great, big ice skates.

And there's just another reason why the fifth century is actually just another of the many completely invisible regions of the past -- despite the supposed wonder of Attila.  Also, something has gotten corrupted in the popular barbarian imagery department.  To tell the truth, I think barbarians have gone the way of King Arthur and Charles Martel -- they really just aren't something marketing can depend on any more.

You can see the poor marketing "creative" looking sadly at all their barbarian verbiage and noting that it just doesn't ring any bells any more.  "I can scream barbarian all day long and nobody gives a shit."

Even Elephants and Hannibal -- can't use 'em, no Hannibal or Sparta or Ceasar or Roman Legions or Spartans or Tiger Tanks.  We're talking nothing but this Attila thing.

And what's he?

He's a Hun.  That's like the SS in smelly rags.  Little Asian SS men on small furry horses.

Jeez, the uniforms....no uniforms?

Saddles?

Like Cowboys?

No!  Not like Cowboys!  Nobody buys Cowboys anymore!  Where have you been?

Calm down.  So what about this Attila.

He's a scourge.

Like Tiny Tim?

That's Scrooge.

That's Good!  what about the zombie Christmas angle?

I like that.

He gets dressed up.  he has scores to settle.

With the Western Roman Empire.

Right.  Some kind of oppressive empire.

Right.  And he doesn't wear a mask -- he's just "Attila" -- just like that.

Wow!  the image or the non-image.

That's what we're selling.  You look at it and there's just nothing there.

Perfect!