Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Warhammer is a no go for me. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

^^ I heard Gimli's voice agreeing that the tall guys should ride out on horses to their certain deaths while he blows the super-tuba.

Quote from: Nefaro on January 14, 2015, 02:40:06 PM
But it's not WH40k.   ???

Not yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Gusington

Looks very similar to the Rome 2 grand campaign map, eh?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Why yes it does. Except my Rome 2 map is covered with the blood of my smashed armies. And giant red elephant footprints leading away from the gore. I like this one better. I'm not sure about the floating icons replacing the banners carried by the armies. I think I'll miss them but somebody will mod them back quickly I bet.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Yeah there have been grumblings over at TWC about the flags being replaced on the campaign map but like you say changes like that are usually quickly and easily modded.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on January 19, 2015, 09:16:17 PM
Looks very similar to the Rome 2 grand campaign map, eh?

Some of the Enraged (now the term for most of the standardized verbal stuff is "rage" in TW circles) are enraged because Athens and Sparta aren't on the Attila map.  And Greece is labeled Macedon.  Which causes some reflexive rage: "But they use Roman Equipment" (not surprisingly, I would say since the heyday of Macedon happened around 800 years before the world of Attila).

Looking at the map, I end up wondering about the likely flow of events.  The Western Empire is all set for a very rapid decline, but the Eastern Empire seems to be facing some more obvious immediate problems.

There's a considerable residue of rage on the topic of which tribes (or factions) are where and which ones aren't there at all.  I reserve some rage for thinking the following less enraged thought: there's a lot of tribes out there and historically, they changed names and locations pretty fast.  So the overall "a lot of tribes" picture seems plausible.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 19, 2015, 11:38:44 PM
Why yes it does. Except my Rome 2 map is covered with the blood of my smashed armies. And giant red elephant footprints leading away from the gore. I like this one better. I'm not sure about the floating icons replacing the banners carried by the armies. I think I'll miss them but somebody will mod them back quickly I bet.

There are enough changes to provide residual rage for all!  Even of the "kidding" variety.  It does seem that the focus of the game has shifted to the West.  Here's a residual rage sample:

you have got to be kidding me, Gaul and Iberia have as much settlements as the African Continent, Palestina and Syria..

Sir Slash

One of my finest moments in gaming(and they usually are only moments) was playing the Eastern Romans to victory in the Barbarian Invasion expansion for RTW. What a tough fight that was. Goths, Sanassids, Vandals, and then the Huns show up. I built a Maginot Line of forts to protect Constantinople, something you probably won't be able to do this time. The West Romans I couldn't get past about turn 5 before they fell apart.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 20, 2015, 11:06:52 AM
One of my finest moments in gaming(and they usually are only moments) was playing the Eastern Romans to victory in the Barbarian Invasion expansion for RTW. What a tough fight that was. Goths, Sanassids, Vandals, and then the Huns show up. I built a Maginot Line of forts to protect Constantinople, something you probably won't be able to do this time. The West Romans I couldn't get past about turn 5 before they fell apart.

Really, you are testing the limits of my rage by causing me to think about how to survive if I ever play as the Eastern Empire.  For the moment, my plan is never to play as the Eastern Empire.  I'm thinking -- oh -- Franks, Alans and if those go well, then the Western Empire.

But, here is your moment of rage:

That some people can defend that CA weakens the easern Roman Empire by giving them less settlements (Greece Syria/Palestina) just because the AI will never be able to take Constantinopel is quite funny. This way the player probably just need to wait in Constantinopel just because he hasn't the forces and finance to undertake something.

Sir Slash

Playing as either Roman faction in BI was fun and a challenge as was playing the Huns, Goths, Saxons etc. I'm not sure who I'll play as in Attila first but will probably get around to both Roman factions in time.

Gusington

The Vandals are going to be playable immediately upon release, correct? I don't think I have seen the Alans mentioned at all. And at 40 I am done with nerdrage. I just can't marshal the resources for it anymore.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I have socks in my drawer older than 40, clean ones, but at my age I just can't find them. But they're there and I can't also get real excited about gaming inaccuracies as long as the damn thing plays and doesn't eat my hard drive, then I'm usually happy. But it does make you wonder sometimes if even I can find something not right, who's advising these guys? Perhaps a government conspiracy to alter history? :o