Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

There's been a whole bunch of pre-release videos just lately of game play. The Eastern Romans looks like a bitch-in-heat to play with a tide of barbarians coming at you from all angles. :'( I believe their campaign starts with the Visigoths already inside your territory and burning the shit out of everything. I would've liked a couple of turns to prepare before hit me. But maybe they will tweak the start a little before release.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 29, 2015, 03:00:44 PM
There's been a whole bunch of pre-release videos just lately of game play. The Eastern Romans looks like a bitch-in-heat to play with a tide of barbarians coming at you from all angles. :'( I believe their campaign starts with the Visigoths already inside your territory and burning the shit out of everything. I would've liked a couple of turns to prepare before hit me. But maybe they will tweak the start a little before release.

Unfortunately, part of the "vision" for Attila seems to be that a massive tide of (flaming mixed metaphors) comes crashing into the middle of the Late Antique world.  I think all this destruction and collapse stuff is being exaggerated just to make the game more "intense" (= what? more like X-treme something or other?) for people who have no interest at all in what the world might really have been like in the 5th century.
It's true that to match the extremes of history Rome has to get sacked twice (410 and 455), but Constantinople historically held up okay and the Eastern Empire gathered strength for most of the period.  I agree that the game would be more interesting if they backed off to say 370 AD and let the Empire break up (or not) on a different time table.   Though 395 does make sense from the point of view of Imperial divisions and Barbarian onslaughts (now that I think about it).
  Anyway...the Middle of Late Antiquity was complicated and dumping the Visigoths on it is a sensible simplification.  As for me, I'm going to start as an Alan and maybe be a Roman of some sort after touring the world as a Barbarian.

Gusington

All the factions interest me, not sure which I will start as. Perhaps a Goth of some sort, like Robert Smith. Or maybe a Jute.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

In response to that referenced video...

I was taught that the pronunciation of Jute is more like 'Yute', much as the correct pronunciation of Jotun ('Frost giants') is 'Yo-tn'. This would also fit in with some of the contemporary Roman accounts referring to a people whose name started with 'Eu', such as the Eucii.

Why do I even bring this up? The word "Jute" was what my grandmother used to refer to Dutch traffic cops when she got a ticket for speeding in her MGB.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

A Cute Jute will beat a Blank Frank anytime. That's what my grandmother used to say. Or was that a Vandal with a Handle? Anyway, we locked her in the attic. Because nothing rhymes with attic.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Don't be... dramatic. I stand corrected.

MengJiao

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 29, 2015, 10:05:29 PM
In response to that referenced video...

I was taught that the pronunciation of Jute is more like 'Yute', much as the correct pronunciation of Jotun ('Frost giants') is 'Yo-tn'. This would also fit in with some of the contemporary Roman accounts referring to a people whose name started with 'Eu', such as the Eucii.

Why do I even bring this up? The word "Jute" was what my grandmother used to refer to Dutch traffic cops when she got a ticket for speeding in her MGB.

Yes, Jute is Yute like Ute or "Youth" in My Cousin Vinny.

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

It's an Indian tribe. Are they in the game? Ute Scorpion Ballistas? They have some tough bugs out west. :coolsmiley:

Grim.Reaper

So getting close to release and still haven't pre order....I am sure to cave at some point.  Saw this preview and does intrigue me, especially the parts about the battles being more dynamic.

http://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-attila-devs-talk-units-hun-politics-and-the-apocalypse/#page-1

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 05, 2015, 08:34:12 PM
So getting close to release and still haven't pre order....I am sure to cave at some point.  Saw this preview and does intrigue me, especially the parts about the battles being more dynamic.

http://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-attila-devs-talk-units-hun-politics-and-the-apocalypse/#page-1

I was going to Pre-order, but I'll wait til I get a new game machine: March?  April?  Next Year?  The Year  After That?