Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Playing now. I'll give some opinions after I come down from my Attila-High.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

solops

I hear that the faction of Rome has to be built up from close to scratch, rather than starting as a fully advanced and developed nation suffering from corruption and ambitious governors, generals and senators. Not very historical, if true.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sir Slash

Looks like I won't be playing after all. I didn't check the game specs before ordering, something I always did for other TW games. My processor is just too slow for game. I figured if Rome 2 ran fine, then Attila would also but alas no. So no pillaging here today.  :'(  Looking forward to the group opinions coming soon.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LongBlade

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 17, 2015, 01:02:31 PM
Looks like I won't be playing after all. I didn't check the game specs before ordering, something I always did for other TW games. My processor is just too slow for game. I figured if Rome 2 ran fine, then Attila would also but alas no. So no pillaging here today.  :'(  Looking forward to the group opinions coming soon.

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. I probably need to check, too. Haven't ordered yet. Waiting for Gus to bring the tablets down from the mountain.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mikeck

Quote from: solops on February 17, 2015, 11:30:20 AM
I hear that the faction of Rome has to be built up from close to scratch, rather than starting as a fully advanced and developed nation suffering from corruption and ambitious governors, generals and senators. Not very historical, if true.

No. I just saw a "let's play" involving the eastern Roman empire and it includes north Africa, Greece, modern-day Turkey and the western Middle East so not sure where that came from.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: solops on February 17, 2015, 11:30:20 AM

Nope. 

From what I've seen from LP vids, the Western and Eastern Roman Empires begin big.  However, they will be constantly assaulted by invading armies, internal issues, and possibly income problems.  I'm guessing more so for the Western one in some respects such as money & food.

Sir Slash

I'm still able to limp around the campaign map somewhat and it looks great. Love the new unit cards and Family Portraits along with the host of new governing offices and the re-done trade screen. Much more to running your country than in Rome 2. Both Roman factions begin with huge empires to run and defend and everybody hates you. Lots of Public Disorder right at go. And considering they've been around so long, everything needs upgrading and little in the way of enough military. The Sassninds look like a good place for new comers to play.

solops

I meant that their tech and cities start off at low levels of development (supposedly), same as everyone else, not that they lack in areal extent. They ought to be far more advanced and developed than most of the other factions, but suffering from deterioration of their government. Some of Sir Slash's comments are encouraging.

Some of the developer comments over at the official site indicate that the computing requirements are significantly higher than for Rome 2, especially for the GPU. I am worried that my i7-4770, Nvidia GTX 770 w/ 2 gigs and 16 gigs RAM will be inadequate to handle more than medium settings, if that.

"2. The Min and Rec specs are higher than ROME II, it is a new game that is going on two years more recent and is based on a newer iteration of our TW Engine. As a result it is more demanding, if you ran ROME II at a certain combination of settings, ATTILA will be different. If you have high end kit though, ATTILA will certainly look more impressive."

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/146776-Official-note-on-ATTILA-Performance-amp-link-to-Member-run-Can-I-Run-it-Thread?s=69a1f8313e69636da94deea4d7722d48

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

This may be the first game where you can play Rome that I would rather play as another empire.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 17, 2015, 04:22:09 PM
This may be the first game where you can play Rome that I would rather play as another empire.

Agreed.  However, my first campaign will be as the Eastern Empire.  Their starting situation is...dire.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Going to fire it up now, then after dinner start. Still thinking of starting as the Huns.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

...and of course there's the waiting. Preload or not, as JH and others have mentioned...there is always waiting :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on February 17, 2015, 07:25:39 PM
...and of course there's the waiting. Preload or not, as JH and others have mentioned...there is always waiting :/
Still??? I was thinking about getting this - having grudgingly got into Rome 2, and now enjoying it. It sounds like on my rig 8Gb RAM, and 1.5Gb GPU I'll be getting about 5 FPS, when you need at least 30FPS to run at least smoothly. Oh dear... :( I hope I'm mistaken, but please let me know if it's running like a snail with its legs cut off... ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Grim.Reaper

I only had time for one quick custom battle and it seemed to play out fairly well.  The CPU would break and fall back, then regroup and attack again versus staying in a meat grinder with my troops, which was kind of nice to see.  Really enjoyed the battle and look forward to getting deeper into the actual game.