Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Good advice. For Rome 2 there's even a mod that would get rid of clouds on the campaign map. It worked very well for me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on February 18, 2015, 08:10:37 PM
^Good advice. For Rome 2 there's even a mod that would get rid of clouds on the campaign map. It worked very well for me.

Yes, I used that one too.  Although the campaign map in Attila seems to be running okay with all the bells & whistles for me, so no worries in this one.

I'm loathe to admit it, but it's been very slow going as the Saxons thus far and I may have to switch to Normal difficulty instead of Hard.  Not enough money to pay for the upkeep on tier 2 spearmen that can stand up to the Roman armies that have recently shown up to defend Britannia and northern Gaul.  Every time I move on one of their cities, even for a quick raid, an army and a half shows up and attacks me before I can do anything. 

This is a good thing because it's challenging.  Enough so that all the extra penalties in Hard mode is making it hard to expand thus far, as advertised.  :)

Gusington

^Yeah the campaign map is really beautiful and runs well on my machine too. Star will be happy to hear the good news about 'Hard' mode.

I know it's very early but I am feeling this may be the best TW since Shogun 2. It's got the same technical vibe. Feels very well put together.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on February 18, 2015, 08:40:00 PM
^Yeah the campaign map is really beautiful and runs well on my machine too. Star will be happy to hear the good news about 'Hard' mode.

I know it's very early but I am feeling this may be the best TW since Shogun 2. It's got the same technical vibe. Feels very well put together.

Agreed.  It's in very good condition out of the gate, reminiscent of Shogun 2.

They still need to add the extra info regarding what all unlocks the military Units to the Encyclopedia.  I don't know why they removed that stuff, it was my main use for the pedia.  Perhaps it was unfinished, since we have all these new units in Attila?  Right now I have to mouse over every building in the Building Browser to check the tooltips, in a sub-window off the city build interface, for a specific unit type I want and do the same in the research tree to see what I also need there.

For example, I just unlocked a tech that upgrades a few of my earlier units.  The tooltip on the research says I can now build Nordic Axe Warriors but I can't do so on the recruitment pop-up so something is missing.   However, there is no unit unlock info or links in any of the Encyclopedia entries, for both the specific research and unit info pages, so I'm having to dig around a bunch of tooltips looking for mention of "Nordic Axe Warriors".  RAWR.   :knuppel2:

If that's the worst complaint I have, then I'm happy overall.  ;D

Gusington

^That is a little more than an annoyance...or, it would be to me, anyway. That said I'm sure a patch will fill in that blank.

There are some other little design oddities too. Last night the first battle of the Prologue started with a black screen, unlike the traditional view of the battlefield or town where the fight is to take place. It threw me, and I thought my PC locked up and couldn't run the battles until I got it started by clicking the Start button.

TEEHEE

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Futzed with some settings, still got that warning once. Will further futz with buildings tomorrow, and shadows. No crashes tonight, almost done with the Prologue, and the Huns have appeared. And I got the below unfortunate message about one of my faction characters.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

LOL.

One of my governors got the Flaccid trait recently.  :))

Sir Slash

My old, pre-historic processor can run the battles just fine, albeit small ones-- 10 vs 4 units, city battle. So maybe I can play after all. I had a look at the units in the custom battle screen and I like what I see. Very nice mix of types and abilities costumed to factions, everybody gets something nice. Even the naval units are quite varied and impressive. If the naval combat has been improved, this could be the first TW game where naval combat is as much fun as land combat. BTW Radious will have his mod for Attila ready as soon as the Steam workshop is up. I can't wait to see what he can do with this game.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

undercovergeek

what needs modding?

or is it the usual speed bump one?

Grim.Reaper

There was a small update released today for only the game launcher...seems like when they first posted the new update, it ended up preventing some people from playing the game.  CA quickly made a change and posted a new update that corrects the issue.  Seems like you have to restart Steam to get the update.  They also said another update to the launcher is possible today but not sure.  In both cases, they haven't really said what was fixed but since the updates were only for the launcher, probably just some house cleaning things.

Gusington

My launcher kept telling me my video drivers needed updating when they didn't. And that I was ugly.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

mikeck

Was flaccid originally used to refer to impotence? Just asking because the opposite of flaccid is erect and I would hate to think my poor tribe chieftain was being punished because he wasn't walking around with a constant erection (if it lasts more than 4 hours he is supposed to call a doctor right?)
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on February 19, 2015, 10:53:35 AM
Was flaccid originally used to refer to impotence? Just asking because the opposite of flaccid is erect and I would hate to think my poor tribe chieftain was being punished because he wasn't walking around with a constant erection (if it lasts more than 4 hours he is supposed to call a doctor right?)

Great question. SoM is probably the best person to answer that, but these days he's up to his ears in alligators working. So I turned to Dictionary.com:

Quote1610s, from French flaccide or directly from Latin flaccidus "flabby," from flaccus "flabby, flap-eared," of uncertain origin (OED suggests it's imitative). Related: Flaccidly; flaccidity.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I can handle either ugly or flaccid but not both.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd