Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

You ought to see what she can do with a frying pan and a set of high-heels.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

I played a lot today... :D I am back down to one region, but I am at least surviving, unlike some other factions which started out at the top of the heap and then got trampled to dust...

I was fighting for my faction's life at a few points, thought I would be snuffed out...

And finally HE has arrived...most of my enemies are Germanic barbarian tribes, so I am hoping HE gives them a good thrashing and gets them out of my hair. Then I can pick off targets of opportunity after they are weakened by HIM.

I hated the Burgundians since the very beginning of the campaign. They took a colony of mine in Britain and then 80 turns later, the Picts razed it. I rejoiced. And then the Burgundians were wiped out. Sweet.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Swatter

Nice work Gus! I personally love fighting barbarians who use levy troops. I've started my 3rd campaign as ERE and the Sassy storm is about to hit... Lets see if I can handle it this time around.

This game is not easy, though there are some crazy moments. I need to upload a replay where my 400 man city garrison defeated a 2000 strong barbarian army, that was classic. The AI is too many times aggressive with their generals, a flaw that many humans share I would bet. At the same time, if the fight is well in hand, the AI needs to keep the general back.

GDS_Starfury

with all of your collective experience at this point with Atilla I'll ask this:
whats it really got to get a burnt out TW player into it?
over the last 6 or 7 months I've gone through RTW +add ons, Shogun 2 + add ons, Napolean + add ons and RTW2 with all its DLC. 
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

The goals of the game for most factions are completely different. Most factions don't have the player growing an empire, but maintaining a few provinces, or simply surviving. The dynamics are different as is the diplomacy and the AI is a mofo...it hunts and hunts and hunts the player down until you are dead, a la Terminator.

Technically the game is really tight as well, like Shogun 2. in 25 hours I have not had one stutter or crash. Under the hood the game is solid...there is a ton of stuff going on but I haven't had one hiccup.

If you are feeling burned out on TW, then this is the game to get out of that rut because the experience is totally different.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 12:36:45 AM
over the last 6 or 7 months I've gone through RTW +add ons, Shogun 2 + add ons, Napolean + add ons and RTW2 with all its DLC.

Nothing except the time frame. I love it but if I was looking for something "new" in my TW game, I would be dissapointed. I like the game a lot mainly because it's solid and i love the time period
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

But...but...the goals of the game are totally different from every other TW...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Reply Options:

1) Stop staring at the sky! (-1 Stability)

2) It's a good omen!  (-1 Stability)

3) It's a prophet of our doom!  (-1 Stability)

4) Comet?  What comet? There IS no comet you fools!  (-1 Stability)

*Happy that EU4 turned out much better than EU3.*

Sir Slash

What tech do you need to build Ghost-Buster units? Or is that an agent action?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

My go to ghostbuster unit is wholesale conversion of my faction to Judaism.

Has anyone won a campaign yet?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Juda-Geats? I can't see why that wouldn't work. You may have a little trouble talking them into the whole circumcision thing though. I'll say this, playing the Huns is a real bitch. You've got to encamp to replenish your units, upgrade your buildings without which you soon run out of food and money. But staying put makes you a sitting target for all those AI 20 unit stacks that spawn. The only option is to balance the two but one bad battle can cost you the campaign as I learned when I attacked the city where Sebastopol is. Fighting the battle myself resulted in losing 600+ out of 900 men, almost all to those damned Arrow Towers which are really Cruise Missle Towers. I went back and re-fought the battle with auto-resolve and only lost 23 guys. WTF? The Huns are not the Jauggernaut they were in Barbarian Invasion. You have to hide, strike quickly at un-walled cities and then Force March back to safety early game. Very un-Hunly if you ask me. :(

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 09, 2015, 10:17:35 AM
Fighting the battle myself resulted in losing 600+ out of 900 men, almost all to those damned Arrow Towers which are really Cruise Missle Towers. I went back and re-fought the battle with auto-resolve and only lost 23 guys. WTF? The Huns are not the Jauggernaut they were in Barbarian Invasion. You have to hide, strike quickly at un-walled cities and then Force March back to safety early game. Very un-Hunly if you ask me. :(

I find the Auto-Resolve can often pull out a win with fewer losses than running the battle manually.  Usually only when I have a clear advantage and I'm assaulting.  The other cases are questionable and if the power balance is close to the center or worse then a loss is a forgone conclusion for the auto-resolve.

So I tend to only use it for assaults where I have a numerical advantage and taking losses is the big question.  I do so to save time but if it also gives me fewer losses then I won't complain.  It tends to shaft you on the more closely matched contests however, so be wary.   

Swatter

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 12:36:45 AM

You've done a lot of TW stuff lately, it might be harder to recommend. While there are differences (leader progression, horde mechanics, and general difficultly), only get if it you want more TW. My brother played Attila and said "the battles were fun again". I skipped RTW 2 and generally haven't played a TW game for awhile, so I am having a blast.