Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 16, 2015, 10:31:35 AM
As the Franks, I got no problem getting along with all my neighbors. They all love me. Even the Jutes whom I am at war with. Grabbing Rome's cities isn't too hard either but I can't do anything with them because of the cultural and religious differences, the public order just drops and drops. Strange that you get more income from "Looting and Occupying" a city than from just "Looting" it. I Loot and Occupy and then abandon cities, which gives you even more income. ^-^ The Frank's victory conditions also don't require you to occupy cities in Gaul just territories east of the Rhine which is also kind of odd. It's MUCH easier to auto-resolve city assaults than fighting them out on the battle screen as long as you have numbers on your side. Those Arrow Towers are just murder, even in heavy fog they never miss from the next area code. Still a great game though. I want to do ERE eventually.

There is some excuse for the "arrow towers" -- though you can't tell from anything in the game -- Apparently around 350 AD, many Roman defenses got a new layout that emphasized big clear fields of fire for ballistae.  Of course a ballista tower would be big and not enclosed -- more like an early modern gun emplacement than an arrow tower.  On the other hand, such defenses don't seem to have done very well against the barbarians -- maybe the old-style high walls and deep ditches would have worked better.

Gusington

I suddenly have a hankering to play as ERE as well. Langobards or ERE will be next, then Sassanids.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Swatter

Quote from: MengJiao on March 16, 2015, 08:25:29 AM
  Persians are very dangerous.
  Huns are even more dangerous than Persians.

That's frightening. The Sassies can field tremendous armies, I had a hell of a time with them.

MengJiao

Quote from: Swatter on March 16, 2015, 08:10:23 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 16, 2015, 08:25:29 AM
  Persians are very dangerous.
  Huns are even more dangerous than Persians.

That's frightening. The Sassies can field tremendous armies, I had a hell of a time with them.

As the Easy Alans, it wasn't the Sassanids that wiped me out, it was Mazun (which has Persian troops).

The next time I was the Easy Alans, the Huns wiped me out.

Maybe I should be the Franks or the Sassanids.  Easy Franks sounds good.

Swatter

Sassanids are the easiest I hear.

PanzersEast

Started as the Saxons last night.... secured the North by trade and non-aggression pacts.  Then turned my focus on Britannia and some of the WRE settlements.   It appears that I will have to deal with the Franks soon and the Vikings are worrisome.  I think I will expand West and try to told off on the North and defeat the Franks before they get too powerful.

Thus far, I have no complaints.

PE

Gusington

New Celtic DLC announced, here's a sample:

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ATTILA_The_Picts

Not sure of release date but I now add the Picts to the list of factions that I want to play next, right under the Langobards and the ERE.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

Quote from: Gusington on March 17, 2015, 01:42:17 PM

Not sure of release date but I now add the Picts to the list of factions that I want to play next, right under the Langobards and the ERE.

Yea.... let the DLC rain down on bath you while it melts your wallet...

Anyway, I'm going through all the factions right now so I am going to do the Saxons and the one of the Roman factions next.  It appeared that the existing DLC is not a must get at the moment so I will just wait for a drop in price until someone says otherwise.

PE

Gusington

Otherwise! j/k

The Saxons look very interesting as well but they are slated as 'Hard' which, in this game, is uber-difficult. And since I have been spanked badly in each campaign I have played, it frightens me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

Quote from: Gusington on March 17, 2015, 01:51:34 PM
Otherwise! j/k

The Saxons look very interesting as well but they are slated as 'Hard' which, in this game, is uber-difficult. And since I have been spanked badly in each campaign I have played, it frightens me.

Well I will let you know, its the quiet before the storm right now.  I'm thinking if it is hard and after all I have read I will be in for a early exit from the campaign.  :D

PE

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on March 17, 2015, 01:42:17 PM

Here's the official trailer: 

https://youtu.be/8wrdBy6VZYE

(Can't get YouTube embedding to work all of the sudden...?) 

Holy hell, there's a *lot* of hate for this one.  On YouTube and Twitter, all I'm seeing is rage; you can imagine what the reaction on TWC is... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash

"Picts" even sounds painful. And everybody knows Vandal girls are the easiest. And the most dangerous.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

There is a ton of hate for this one. I'm still getting it because 'hey whateva' is my new mantra.

Picts!!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

I honestly don't understand the hate for these DLCs! I mean, if you dont want it, don't buy it. People complain that they contain stuff that should have been in the original release but that would have made it more expensive. I like the paradox style cafeteria DLC...keeps the cost down and you pick and choose what you want. I'm going over to the TWC forums...if I'm not back in 10 minutes, go on without me
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

^It's been more than 10 minutes...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd