Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

So far, I feel the game has been worth it for me....

The DLC whoring is crap, however I will not pay full price and will wait until it drops to be really cheap in the summer sale or whatever.....

So far with my Saxon Campaign I have managed to piss off and start wars on two different fronts.... so I could be in trouble real quick..... however historically I have been over cautious, now I just throw $*@)$ to the wind.... sometimes it is more fun to lose than to win.

PE

Gusington

I felt that way right before my Geats were pound into Nordic sand. But I do miss the game since I have not been playing it this week. It beckons.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

As does Carthage for me in vanilla Rome 2

One day

PanzersEast

Just to ask a slight OT question.... how does Attila compare with RTW2 EE?  I have considered a reinstalled after playing Attila to see the difference, however I figured it was easier just to ask you guys about if it is worth a reinstall and play.....

PE

Sir Slash

I'm wondering when the Yahoos over at Steam are going to get the Workshop for Attila up and running. I've played the Huns to where Attila himself is born vanilla campaign, and want to do a Radious campaign to the same point and compare the two. Steam has got me so damned spoiled that I'm too lazy to just download it and install myself. I haven't seen anything in the DLC that I can't live without until a Summer-Sale comes along.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 19, 2015, 10:55:41 AM
Just to ask a slight OT question.... how does Attila compare with RTW2 EE?  I have considered a reinstalled after playing Attila to see the difference, however I figured it was easier just to ask you guys about if it is worth a reinstall and play.....

PE

Attila is more difficult in general.  But I enjoy the period & factions in Rome 2 more. 

So why not, if you feel like revisiting Rome 2?  I was thinking of doing the same again soon too.   May fire up a new campaign as Ptolemaic Egypt and/or Carthage again.

mikeck

And it doesn't matter. This is how the game companies make more money. They then make more games. Want them to include everything and still charge the same that they were in 1985 for Commodore 64 games...not likely. Just the way most companies do it so the only way to "protest" is not to buy I suppose
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Swatter

Quote from: besilarius on March 19, 2015, 06:46:08 AM
Swatter, don't know if this would be feasible, but you reminded me of a great game from years ago.
Was in a group that had map and miniatures campaigns.  The GM divided the East Romans into two players, and the West into three factions (would have played better as two, but he had some historical justification.)
Each player had two goals to keep the Empire going, but to be in charge.
Then his surprise, each player also controlled a tribal group (Franks, Goths, Saracens) that attacked the other half of the Empire.
So if you had Anatolia in the ERE, you would also have the Franks attacking the WRE. 
The player who did best was the campaign winner.
Was one of the very best campaign games I ever participated in.  The Diplomacy and deals were utterly cutthroat.

That sounds very cool. Getting that large group of cool people playing the right game is priceless.

Gusington

After 15 patches Rome II EE is now sound. I'm going to play a Macedon campaign at some point in the next few months. But opposite of Nefaro, I generally enjoy the Dark Ages more.

And UCG the Carthage campaign is very fun. And I actually won that one!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on March 19, 2015, 08:11:34 PM

And UCG the Carthage campaign is very fun. And I actually won that one!!

Nice.

I started Carthage a couple times, but incoming updates in the midst of them persuaded me to start fresh next time (preferably after all the patching was done).  They usually started off getting brutal pretty quickly anyway because I'd have Rome and a few others DOW'ing me in no time, before my armies were even finished recruiting.    :uglystupid2:

Gusington

^It's worth going back. The Carthaginian unit roster is very unique and very fun. I actually don't recall how hated I was as Carthage.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

This guy plays a lot of strategy games and I just love how he explains how to play them.  Here is video 1 of his series on Attila.  Skip to 1:52 if you don't want to watch the in game intro movie.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Thanks for posting that...I need a guide like that to help me wrap my brain around the new game dynamics.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

So far I am doing fairly well was the Saxons, however I think I will start over as a different faction as I think one of the Romans or the Huns would be more fun to play.... so a restart for me.  Also, I will probably reinstall Rome as well.

PE

MengJiao

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 20, 2015, 10:52:55 AM
So far I am doing fairly well was the Saxons, however I think I will start over as a different faction as I think one of the Romans or the Huns would be more fun to play.... so a restart for me.  Also, I will probably reinstall Rome as well.

PE

I gave up on the Alans (the Huns live in their neighborhood) and switched to the Easy Franks.  The Saxons almost wiped me out, but then the Romans turned up and crushed the Saxons leaving me to pick up the pieces.  Thanks Rome!  Seems like a good start.

The Saxon armies were truly immense.  I think they fielded around 5000 men in the first few turns.  Frightening, but not as endless as the Huns.