Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

There's an expanded campaign mod at Steam that has playable Berbers, Burgundians, and a couple of others I can't remember.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 01, 2015, 09:26:54 AM
There's an expanded campaign mod at Steam that has playable Berbers, Burgundians, and a couple of others I can't remember.

Suebi?  Bretons?

Gusington

I hope so...got my ass kicked in Attila as well. Actually won in Rome 2 as Armenia, set at normal difficulty...which was still pretty difficult.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

It the Suebi and the Roman Empire. The non-Belisarius version of the Roman Empire.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 01, 2015, 10:56:14 AM
It the Suebi and the Roman Empire. The non-Belisarius version of the Roman Empire.

Speaking of which, last night, I got the sad message that The "Kingdom of Rome" (ie Belisarius) faction was no more.  I think the berbers got him.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on July 01, 2015, 10:55:05 AM
I hope so...got my ass kicked in Attila as well. Actually won in Rome 2 as Armenia, set at normal difficulty...which was still pretty difficult.

Something or other about Attila didn't quite work for me.  Admittedly I was a Frank and that was it.  I'm finding the Last Roman DLC more to my taste AND I'm doing okay now that the atmosphere is back to normal and the crops are coming in.  If I win as a Visigoth, I'll try the Franks or Ostrogoths or something.

mikeck

I'm a bit confused. With the quote last Roman" DLC if I want to play as the Byzantines does that mean I don't get a country? only an army generaled by  Belisarius to travel around the map with ?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on July 01, 2015, 03:32:50 PM
I'm a bit confused. With the quote last Roman" DLC if I want to play as the Byzantines does that mean I don't get a country? only an army generaled by  Belisarius to travel around the map with ?

In the vanilla game, you can't play as Justinian.  The Empire sends troops to help Belisarius, but you don't control the Empire if you are Belisarius.  I'd rather be a Visigoth anyway so that's all fine with me.

Sir Slash

In the DLC the Byzantines are the Roman Empire and are an AI controlled faction. You can only play "Roman" as Belisarius' Expeditionary/ hoard force that begins in North Africa already at war with the Vandals. The Byzantines/ Romans are active though, sending armies to North Africa too on their own. But they don't really help much just wandering around and the Vandals seem to kind of ignore them too. Another strange thing is my Roman expeditionary force has no trouble recruiting units everywhere, even in Vandal territory though some are just basic spear and melee types. The campaign AI is pretty good and especially reacts to your laying siege to their walled cities. Fun so far.

Gusington

So when you capture your first city as the wandering Romans, you get a choice of cedng it to the empire or keeping it for.yourself?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yes. Every city you get that choice. And after you have no control over the city if you give it to the Empire though you can replenish in that territory. And you know what a shitty ruler Justinian was so the Public Order in them drops like Bill Clinton's trousers, when he was young mind you. But the odd thing is you can recruit Roman Units anywhere you go. And, being a Horde faction, you can camp and upgrade your various tents/ buildings if you have enough coin and surplus population-- some of the tents increase your expedition size. I just spent $3000 to upgrade my Public Latrines to Private Latrines. I figure that'll make my troops much happier. I don't know what the next upgrade from there is, maybe Nat-Geo magazines to read in there or dirty poems to go on the walls. "There once was a Vandal from Nantuckett......"  ;D

Gusington

^I've heard about that Vandal.

I love the dynamic of fighting for Rome but having the choice to take a city for yourself or for the empire. Very proto-feudal!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Quick question: I'm playing the original Attila again as the Persians, and I'm using the Radious mod. I have had a series of political events occur (a trader comes to your court, etc.) and for the life of me I cannot find the political screen where I choose what choice to make on each scenario...in other regular Attila games the screen was easily accessible through my faction crest at the center-bottom of the UI. I hit that now...and can't find the resolution screen! And so now I have the little yellow exclamation point there for unresolved events. Does Radious disable the resolution for these events or am I just losingmy mind? Help!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I play Radious all the time and can't remember not being able to make a choice when a Political Event occurs. Sometimes I get an event message and then a turn or two later I'll get a choice to make but I thought that was vanilla not Radious. Check it out at the TW Forum and see if anybody else has had this problem. If the Persians get a Political Event to make a Nuclear Deal with Obama, I'd take it.  ;D

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 12, 2015, 08:43:50 AM
I play Radious all the time and can't remember not being able to make a choice when a Political Event occurs. Sometimes I get an event message and then a turn or two later I'll get a choice to make but I thought that was vanilla not Radious. Check it out at the TW Forum and see if anybody else has had this problem. If the Persians get a Political Event to make a Nuclear Deal with Obama, I'd take it.  ;D

So true, a nuclear power in the 6th century would have some significant technological advantages AND a big bomb.

Weirdly enough, one of the last papers I wrote in French ( Le Defi Sassanid) covered this topic, but it was about the Sassanid lead in Cosmic Imperial Imagery.  Poor Hericlitus fought his way all the way to Cteistiphon only to find a vast machine that could elevate an Emperor (preferably Persian) into a vast working model of the heavens.  Mr. H was never quite the same.