Main Menu

Attila: Total War

Started by LongBlade, October 27, 2014, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I'm always impressed how much you guys know about this era.  Other than the Romans and Carthage, I don't have the slightest idea who those other factions are, or how they fit into history.

Can you guys recommend a good book or two that maybe walks through all of this history?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Philippe

Background for the two games is a huge subject.  When I've had a little more coffee I might be able to come up with something that gives an overview of the earlier period (i.e. what gets covered by Rome Total War).  But a good starting point for Attila would be Peter Brown's The World of Late Antiquity.  One of it's virtues is that it isn't a thousand pages long, so you might actually get around to finishing it.  One of the differences between the two periods was a pretty fundamental change in world view (which isn't surprising given that half a millenium separates the two games).  The Roman Empire ultimately fell because people eventually got tired of having it around, rather than because of anything external like military force.  Speaking of things military, Edward Luttwak's Grand Stategy of the Roman Empire is always worth a read.

One thing you might do for starters is to simply look up every group you encounter in the games and read their wiki's, even if (especially if) you think you know who they are.  Wiki's on these subjects are generally pretty good, and the information you get will often be focused on what you want to know but will also lead you to look at related questions.  Rome Total War takes place during the Hellenistic period, and the history can get pretty complicated.  For keeping track of the outlying peoples it often helps to have a background or interest in archaeology, and since that's pretty uncommon, google is your friend.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Gusington

^I read the World of Late Antiquity and really enjoyed it. Toonces you can also check out some titles by Bryan Ward Perkins and Peter Heather on the era. Some of the titles are better than others.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Age of Charlemagne campaign pack coming. 

More info here

Dammit.  Now I might have to pick up Attila just so I can play this... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mikeck

Maybe this will fix my issue
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

Bastards! Now I am spending my free time again rummaging through wiki's, Era books and thinking about a new RTW 2 campaign! :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

Yes! yeeeees

Looking forward to this. Maybe I can even win a campaign.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I've got my eye on Attila during these upcoming Steam sales...   :knuppel2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Because we wants it Precious. Yes, we wants it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

As soon as they said, "knights" I knew I was going all in.

Gusington

Just pre-ordered Charlemagne. The game's mechanics are to be redone so perhaps I will have a fighting chance this time. Besides, the original Attila is great fun even if I suck at it. Plus this new iteration is at a 13.49 price point.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

For all the cool-sounding features they're adding for the campaign pack, I'll freely admit it's the setting/era itself that's the main draw for me.  One hardly ever sees strategy games (or just games in general) that focus on the early Medieval period, so this one got my attention right away. 

Quote from: Toonces on November 24, 2015, 03:32:35 PM
As soon as they said, "knights" I knew I was going all in.
Talk Martel to me, baby!  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 25, 2015, 02:54:45 AM
Is Attila stand alone?

Yes.......
TW ATTILA: Age of Charlemagne Campaign Pack
Huge new Campaign, set at the dawn of the Middle Ages.
Enter the Medieval era with Knights, Housecarls and a new illuminated UI art style.
8 Playable factions with all new Units, Tech and Buildings.
New game features with Story-based and Kingdom Events.

I may have to reinstall Attila because this looks like one of the more interesting DLC,s they have had by far.

Gusington

I agree - very happy that the rumors of this are true.

Doesn't CKII have a similar DLC that begins in the 9th century? The Old Gods? I guess it's 100 years later than this...but I could swear Charlemagne made an appearance in CKII, didn't he?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd