Any Grogs in East Texas?

Started by RommelFox, November 17, 2019, 07:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RommelFox

I've had a wild ride as of last week.

The company I've worked at for almost a decade, was apparently doing some shady stuff and abusing a large advertising website and said website's owners booted my former workplace.  This resulted in me getting the dreaded pink slip, as well as about half of the other staff with more likely to follow, if the company can even stay open.

The misses and I have been planning on moving nearish to the Tyler area in east Texas, and I was wondering if any grogs are out there?  We were planning on waiting until next year, but now we're going to be moving kids, pets and all out to an apartment in Texas in a few weeks.

I thankfully got a severance, and will be getting unemployment, so this seems like the time to go. 

It's a little nerve wracking going without a job already lined up, but this is something we've been planning on doing for years, and if we don't do it now, I know we'll regret it in the future.

This is all after the previous couple of years of my wife dealing with serious health issues, and us having to sell our house and living with family to survive.  I'm happy to say her health is a thousand times better, and is no longer a limiting issue.

It's been a crazy couple of years  :uglystupid2:

My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Sorry to hear about that Fox.  Not familiar with Texas, but have some friends who have lived there.  Is Tyler anywhere near Austin?'Will ask if they know of any gamers out there,
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

RommelFox

Thanks Gus!

besilarius, Austin is about five hours away from me, but thank you!  If you're going somewhere in Texas from outside of Texas, the longest part of the trip is when you hit the Texas boarder haha.  I'm originally from Texas, so I may be a bit proud  :cowboy:
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Tpek

I'll join Besilarius and Gus in saying I'm sorry to hear about you losing your job and wishing you good luck in finding a new one.

I know there are several Grogheads here who are or originally were from Texas.

Jarhead0331

I grew up in Richardson, which is in the DFW area, just a little West of Tyler (about an hour and a half). My brother lives in Austin now, so I only get back to North Texas on occassion these days, but it was a fantastic place to grow up and if I ever get the chance to move again, the area would be at the top of my list.

I know we have some Houston Grogs, but I think I'm the closest you're going to get to that part of the state.

Good luck!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Not in Texas but still sorry you got the pink slip, I've been there. And usually every time inside of 6 months, I wish it had come sooner. Hang in there Fox.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RommelFox

Thanks guys!  And some people say grogs are grumps! :wow:

My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

bayonetbrant

GJK is in that general area, but I think he's closer to Austin.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 19, 2019, 07:47:43 AM
GJK is in that general area, but I think he's closer to Austin.

He is in Georgetown near Austin. My brother's in-laws live there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GibbyG

I'm near Dallas.  There is a decent group in this area.  The North Texas Gamers meet once a month in Plano at Madness Comics and Games.  It is sort of a long drive for you, but if you can set up a game or 2 it might be worthwhile. 

RommelFox

Quote from: challerain on November 19, 2019, 10:55:59 PM
I'm near Dallas.  There is a decent group in this area.  The North Texas Gamers meet once a month in Plano at Madness Comics and Games.  It is sort of a long drive for you, but if you can set up a game or 2 it might be worthwhile.
Thanks for the tip!

So far so good.  Apartment and movers lined up  :bd:
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs