Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I must point out again that Julius could not be a Consul this Turn, having been a Dictator last Turn (although he could have been Dictator again, had the Consuls chose to appoint him).

Consequently, it's Manlius who's going up against the Syrians as Field Consul. Julius is the one who, as Master of Horse, is helping Paullus Macdonicus with the 1st Macedonian War.

This was the only alteration I made to the proposed Contract, since it could be done for a basically equivalent result in the main goal, and avoids the invalidity of Julius being Consul after being Dictator.

(Later in the game Players will have the option, depending on a few semi-random circumstances, of getting rid of that rule, thus allowing Dictators to be Consuls immediately after their Dictatorship; also allowing Consuls to be immediately re-elected. But we aren't there yet.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 20, 2019, 11:15:19 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on February 20, 2019, 10:18:56 PM
I didn't feel that I could (or should) tell the dictator how to deploy the forces.  I earlier made a proposed force deployment.   For reference it was:

1) Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus (Conservatives) becomes Dictator.  Takes Manlius of the Militarists as MoH.  Prosecutes the evil Phillip V in the Macedonians with 12 regular legions and 10 fleets. Odd are: ((12 (Madedonian War Strength) + 6 (Phillip V))- (12 (Legions)-5 (Macedonicus)-(7 Manlius (Normally an 8, but limited by the # of legions))= +6 DRM=37% chance of 18 or more, and all losses are halved due to Macedonicus's special ability.

2) Julius (Militarists) and 9 legions including the 3 vets and the 2 naval v. Antioch and the Syrians.  Odds are ((6 (Syrian War) + 5(Antioch III))-((9 Legions)+3 (veteran legions)+9 (Julius))=+10 DRM=83% chance of victory with no losses.

However, we purchased one more legion than that proposed force deployment had, so we could improve the odds of the (I believe Macedonian war) by sending the extra legion there.  ALternatively, we could take one of the Syrian Vet legions, send it to Macedonicus, and send the extra legion to Julius.

so let it be written, so let it be done...sorry wrong movie.  Yes, and yes to the extra legion to Macedonia

Becasue of the rule that Julius must be the MoH (See Jason's post above) you may want to send the spare legion to help in Syria, as the odds there changed.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

I'm holding off processing specifically for any adjustments due to needing to flip Julius' and Manlius' assignments.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on February 21, 2019, 09:52:58 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 20, 2019, 11:15:19 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on February 20, 2019, 10:18:56 PM
I didn't feel that I could (or should) tell the dictator how to deploy the forces.  I earlier made a proposed force deployment.   For reference it was:

1) Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus (Conservatives) becomes Dictator.  Takes Manlius of the Militarists as MoH.  Prosecutes the evil Phillip V in the Macedonians with 12 regular legions and 10 fleets. Odd are: ((12 (Madedonian War Strength) + 6 (Phillip V))- (12 (Legions)-5 (Macedonicus)-(7 Manlius (Normally an 8, but limited by the # of legions))= +6 DRM=37% chance of 18 or more, and all losses are halved due to Macedonicus's special ability.

2) Julius (Militarists) and 9 legions including the 3 vets and the 2 naval v. Antioch and the Syrians.  Odds are ((6 (Syrian War) + 5(Antioch III))-((9 Legions)+3 (veteran legions)+9 (Julius))=+10 DRM=83% chance of victory with no losses.

However, we purchased one more legion than that proposed force deployment had, so we could improve the odds of the (I believe Macedonian war) by sending the extra legion there.  ALternatively, we could take one of the Syrian Vet legions, send it to Macedonicus, and send the extra legion to Julius.

so let it be written, so let it be done...sorry wrong movie.  Yes, and yes to the extra legion to Macedonia

Becasue of the rule that Julius must be the MoH (See Jason's post above) you may want to send the spare legion to help in Syria, as the odds there changed.

concur
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

In accordance with various advice and prior plans, modified for the switch between Manlius and Julius, Paullus Proposes Deploying Field Marshal Manlius to the Syrian War with the 3 Vets, 7 regular Legions, and 2 Support Fleets. After Contracted agreements, Manlius leaves Rome Commanding his Force. Normal vote tally goes down 7 votes to 12; but this won't affect the Contracted vote success for the last Proposal.

Lastly, Dictator Paullus Proposes (with Contracted voting approval) to Deploy himself and his MoH Julius to fight the 1st Macedonian War, bringing 11 regular Legions and 10 Fleets for logistic Support. (These are all the remaining Legions; there were 21 - 3 Vets and -7 regulars to the Syrian War = 11 remaining.)

With this Force's Deployment, the Militarist votes go down 8 to 4; and the Conservative normal vote tally goes down 5 to 10.

JasonPratt

Since these fights are crucial to how much chance the Republic has of surviving through the next Turn, I've decided to set up a side-thread over at Armchair Dragoon to track the fights (and future critical rolls).

The thread can be found here: https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=627.0

Once I'm done, I'll link back here for ease of transition to the main thread.

Due to some technical problem, I'm unable to post the results of the first battle, but I've introduced the situation to anyone unfamiliar with our game, explaining the context, and I've rolled it. You can tell from the results that Manlius won. Hopefully the problem (maybe server load, this being 8:50 pm CST) will be resolved soon. I've got my notes ready for a copy-paste at any time.

JasonPratt

Okay, results for Manlius' fight are up, as are the prep and roll for the Macedonian War.

It's late here so I'll post the details of that fight tomorrow afternoon, but I've noted the basic result to avoid needless suspense on that.  O:-)

Erax

While you listed the number of legions as 10 rather than 11, you used 11 in the DRM calculation, so +4 is correct. The final result is 15, not 16 (still a victory).

JasonPratt

Man, the way my neurons zig and zag on that topic is just beyond my understanding...  :-[  I can't even imagine how I could have written 10 instead of 11, and then also used 11 instead of 10 in my subsequent calcs! Seems more likely I didn't use a calculator going down the list and was just fortuitously off by one in the right direction.  :buck2:

Thanks for double-checking!  O:-) 15 is going to mean 3 Legions lost (and three chances for one or both of the senators to die).

JasonPratt

The detailed results for the 1st Macedonian War are now up at the Dragoons, and the game returns back here until the next crucial rolls / draws which might win or lose the game.

(I would link to the particular post, but I can't figure out how there...  ??? You can follow the thread link a few posts above, and scroll down to the newest post.)

This ends the Turn 11 Combat Phase.

JasonPratt

TURN 11 -- REVOLUTION PHASE
---------------------------

Erax's new Faction card, won from the Frog by playing an Influence Peddling Intrigue earlier this Turn, now arrives (facedown) on the Progressive mat. Erax and the Frog both know what it is.

If any Players wish to donate or trade Faction cards, they may arrive immediately now without delay. (I'll allow some asynch lag as usual.)

No one has more than 5 cards, to discard down to.

Also, no one has any valid Concessions or Statesmen to play yet.

AzTank and Tripoli must let me know whether they intend to Rebel against the Republic with their Victorious Commanders, before I can continue. (They can ask me about details privately, but any testing of the waters by polling the Legions must be done publicly.)

They must also declare whether to Retire the 3rd (Manlius) and/or 10th (Paullus) Veteran Legions, for +1 Ora and Inf each. If they attempt to Rebel, this must be done first.

Strictly speaking, Aristocrat Governor Valerius can also declare Rebellion at this time, but I'm assuming he won't so I'll move along unless I.I. insists on doing so, in which case I'll retcon things back to this Phase.

Tripoli

I'm on the road right now so i may be slow in responding. I will publicly state the militarists will be handing all of their legions back to the republic and returning to our farms until next turn. I think the veteran legion might come in handy next turn especially since we will need to spend a fair amount raising a fleet, so unless the senate wants me to disband it I think for reasons of military necessity it should not be disbanded. If the factions disagree with my analysis I will disband the legion.
Before we return to our fields, I leave the Senate with one thought: Carthage must die
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Heh, reference to Cato's habit of ending literally every speech, regardless of the topic, with "And in conclusion, Carthage must be destroyed."

The Legions return to the Active Pool (and the 2 Support Fleets already there), to await further action.

Manlius returns to Rome, adding his votes back in, up to 19.

JasonPratt

In order to move things along for weekend perusals, I'll provisionally continue on into the new Turn 12.

Note that if AzTank declares rebellion, I'll retcon back to Turn 11, but any chits drawn from the Death Bag will still apply when I return to this phase!

TURN 12 -- MORTALITY PHASE
--------------------------

There are no Immanent Wars to Activate. The Inactive Illyrian War stays making preparations offstage.

The Death Bag is randomly shuffled, and damn if the Conservatives continue jockeying with the Progressives for bad luck! At least it's only Family 11, Papirius, not his Statesman (who isn't prepared to pass on inheritance yet via that Conservative special ability). Alas, having lost a relative in the recent Macedonian War, perhaps he dies of grief. All chips are deleted (no unique ones to move around), and his family card goes to the Curia stack to await random respawn.

This leads me by coincidence to note that there are at least some times when total Influence in Rome is an important factor: if at any time there are less than 8 senators in Rome, the Player with the fewest senators automatically draws the first waiting family from the Curia -- with ties for fewest senators broken by least Influence in Rome.

This suggests I need to recheck the rules, if possible, over whether senators outside Rome still contribute their Influence to the Faction total. Certainly that wouldn't be true for Captive senators for example! -- but does it apply to all absent senators...?

Anyway, Conservative normal Vote tally goes down to 11 (assuming Paullus doesn't rebel), and total Influence goes to 27 (ditto).

This ends the Mortality Phase.

JasonPratt

Since another senator, Manlius, is getting close (at 31 Influence) to the silly original game rule of automatically being appointed Consul for life at reaching 35 Influence, irrespective of other considerations, I'm going to institute the house rule discussed previously, with Erax's adjustment.

Edited to add, because I forgot to specify what that was: to be automatically appointed Consul for Life, a senator must be 20+ points of Influence in the lead, and his Faction's total must be +35 in the lead.

I'll also allow the Presiding Magistrate or a Tribune during Other Business on any Turn, to make a Proposal for automatic appointment rules, to be voted on by the Players.  >:D No vetos allowed for this Proposal.