Thank the maker! 'Star Wars Squadrons' leaked

Started by Gusington, June 12, 2020, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Come on - Jedi: Fallen Order is very good!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2020, 02:20:41 PM
Come on - Jedi: Fallen Order is very good!

+1

It was one of the better games of 2019 period. 

As to Squadrons, I like how many things they took from X-Wing/TIE Fighter for the cockpit.  It's so close that they clearly are at least inspired by them. 

However, I see they're doing full crossplay.  That doesn't bode well for HOTAS and TrackIR support.   I have very serious doubts that they'll hand PC players that much of an advantage when there's cross platform competitive play.

I'll hold my preorder for the live play event Thursday.  Although the $39.99 price point surprises the heck out of me.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^Yeah the 39.99 shocked me too but I don't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged by it :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2020, 02:51:49 PM
^Yeah the 39.99 shocked me too but I don't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged by it :/

Yeah, that somehow screams "We don't consider this a AAA title".

However, maybe that's because it is pushing the simulator boundaries and they're pricing it to sell.   AAA status is overrated. 

I'm encouraged that it has VR support as that's very heavily PC leaning.   That gives me hope for TrackIR at least.   If this thing is cockpit driven HOTAS may be a deal breaker for me.  I can't see playing anything from the cockpit with a controller or mouse/keyboard.   The thought makes me ill.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Either way I am sure they will be putting out more details in the build up to October - whether they bode well for us PC nerds or not.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2020, 03:03:48 PM
Either way I am sure they will be putting out more details in the build up to October - whether they bode well for us PC nerds or not.

They're doing a live play event Thursday.  I think it's going to have a Q/A. 

I did lots of pauses on the trailer where they showed the cockpit.  There were engine/shield/weapons management pips just like XW/TIE.  Also the same blaster power pips on the top and missile tracker readouts.   Same shield readout that was in X-Wing with double charge and the TIE Interceptor had no shield controls or marker. 

Also on the official page they're saying first person only. 

Looking and sounding more like a sim every minute.   I'm allowing myself a touch of hype.

Martok

Interesting.  I'm encouraged by two things: 

1.)  The game is set in the "classic" Star Wars period.  No prequel or First Order bullshit. 

2.)  There's an actual singlerplayer campaign. 

The main downside, of course, is that the game is made by EA.  So I will cheerfully let everyone else spend their money on this before I decide whether or not to pick it up.  O:-) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Martok on June 15, 2020, 06:31:33 PM

The main downside, of course, is that the game is made by EA.  So I will cheerfully let everyone else spend their money on this before I decide whether or not to pick it up.  O:-)

I'll almost surely be the one that takes the hit for the team on this one. Unless they 100% confirm no HOTAS support I'm going to preorder, especially at the price point.

One thing that stunned me is that there's a "briefing room" layer where you plan your battle.   I can't wait to see how that's implemented. 

I'm no fan of EA or its practices, however, I can't say I hated Battlefront 2 or Jedi Fallen Order.  BF2's reputation was marred by the MTX scandal, it wasn't actually a bad game.  I still play it from time to time. 

One thing EA also said on the launch page for the game was that all cosmetics and equipment progression are unlocked in game, not via micro transactions. 

Skoop

There's VR support planned.  No support for hotas or TIR so far.  There better be one hell of a good SP campaign or it's bargain bin purchase for me.  Not interested in the arena style MP mode they have planned, I can already do that in battlefront.  If EA had balls, they'd make this like the PU in star citizen, that would be a homerun.  After watching expanse and playing star citizen, I don't really need much more in the scifi department, the itch is well scratched.

SirAndrewD

My hope for HOTAS lies in the fact that this is Motive doing it. 

The zero HOTAS support in recent Star Wars games has universally come from DICE.   That lack of support extends to every game DICE does. 

Maybe Motive will be different.   They haven't said it's not available, but it's not on their supported hardware list. 

I'm fine with the MP aspect if it's implemented well.   I loved X-Wing vs TIE Fighter on my old dial up.

Gusington

Yes, I'm with Skoop - robust SP is a must.

That said, I really enjoyed SP in Fallen Order, so...I am optimistic.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Steam page is up. It is going to be in VR. This alone will make it a must buy for me.

Master the art of starfighter combat in the authentic piloting experience Star Wars™: Squadrons. Buckle up and feel the adrenaline of first-person multiplayer space dogfights alongside your squadron. Pilots who enlist will step into the cockpits of starfighters from both the New Republic and Imperial fleets and fight in strategic 5 vs. 5 space battles. Modify your starfighter and adjust the composition of your squadron to suit varying playstyles and crush the opposition. Pilots will triumph as a team and complete tactical objectives across known and never-before-seen battlefields, including the gas giant of Yavin Prime and the shattered moon of Galitan.

Take control of starfighters such as the X-wing and TIE fighter. Customize loadouts and cosmetics, divert power between weapons, shields, and engines, while immersing yourself in the cockpit. In addition, players will have the option to play the entirety of the game in virtual reality (VR) on PC!

Learn what it means to be a pilot in a thrilling Star Wars single-player story set after the events of Return of the Jedi. Seen from alternating perspectives between two factions, iconic and emerging leaders on both sides are battling for the galaxy. The New Republic fights for freedom. The Empire demands order. We need you to join the galaxy's finest.

KEY FEATURES
All Wings Report In – Plan skirmishes with your squadron in the briefing room before taking off to the evolving battlefields across the galaxy. Compete in intense 5 vs. 5 multiplayer dogfights or unite with your squadron to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles. Together, you're the galaxy's finest.
Master Legendary Starfighters – Take control of different classes of starfighters from both the New Republic and Imperial fleets – including the agile A-wing and the devastating TIE bomber. Modify your ship, divert the power between its systems, and destroy your opponents in strategic space dogfights.
Live Your Star Wars Pilot Fantasy – The cockpit is your home. Use its dashboards to your advantage and – with just a thin hull of metal and glass between you and the perils of space – feel the intensity of combat from a first-person perspective. Take off in thrilling multiplayer modes and a unique single-player Star Wars story, which covers a key campaign near the conclusion of the Galactic Civil War. Immerse yourself in the pilot's seat completely with the option to play the entirety of Star Wars: Squadrons in VR.
The Mission is Clear – Star Wars: Squadrons is a fully self-contained experience from day one, where you earn rewards through play. Climb the ranks and unlock new components like weapons, hulls, engines, shields, and cosmetic items in a clear path for progression that keeps gameplay fresh and engaging.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I may get VR just for this game. Imagine if we could set up Grogs VR teams for this? I would never do anything else.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on June 16, 2020, 08:28:44 AM
I may get VR just for this game.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/overview/pc-system-requirements

Recommended (non-VR) / Minimum (VR)

Processor (AMD): Ryzen 3 3200G
    Processor (Intel): Intel I7-7700
    Memory: 16GB
    Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon RX 480 or Equivalent
    Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 1060 or Equivalent
    DirectX: 11
    Multiplayer Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
    Hard Drive Space: 30GB

Recommended (VR)

Processor (AMD): Ryzen 3 3200G
    Processor (Intel): Intel I7-7700
    Memory: 16GB
    Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon RX 570 or Equivalent
    Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 1070 or Equivalent
    Multiplayer Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Minimum (non-VR)

Processor (AMD): Ryzen 3 1300X
    Processor (Intel): Intel I5-7600
    Memory: 8GB
    Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon HD 7850 or Equivalent
    Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 660 or Equivalent

Gusington

Steep, but my five year old rig should be able to handle it...I have 16GB's worth of memory and an NVidia GTX970.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd