Free WWII Microarmor Rules

Started by bayonetbrant, August 02, 2013, 05:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: GJK on August 07, 2013, 07:42:30 AM
Only speculation but I believe that many/most miniature manufacturers have or are moving towards the cheaper plastic/resin models.  Perhaps GHQ has something in the works for a new product line.

The other obvious guess is that just as you said Mike; there's a bunch of old stock lying around so maybe they're hoping for a revival of some sorts by publishing "new and free" rules. 

I haven't even looked at them yet - how recent are those rules?

Good questions to all. I have the original GHQ rules somewhere on my shelf, but haven't looked at those, either. I had some of the original micro tanks when Deluxe ASL came out - a donation from a friend who bought some and never used them. I think there are a lot of people - they seem to be coming out of the woodwork as news of these new rules come out - who are in the same boat. They bought the cool little 1:285 tanks but never actually did anything with them. I at least painted a few Tigers and Shermans. I wonder if there is anyone who actually played the rules out there - or what the ratio of hoarders to players is?

bayonetbrant

I have a handful of modern ones that we used to use for officer professional development when I was in the army. I even ginned up some Q&D rules for my guys that based their hit rolls on their gunnery scores & fire commands.  Still have them but haven't used them in years
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Toonces

I didn't realize "micro-armor" was a name for a specific brand/scale...I figured it was for a range of scales.

I don't know how much money I want to throw at miniatures, but there is merit to giving the rules away for free if the idea is to sell minis...I'm a perfect example of that marketing at work!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bayonetbrant

Micro-Armor is a GHQ brand name, but there have been occasional other manufacturers that made compatible minis.  The nice thing about them, to me, was that you could fight a BIG game on a dining room table, and store it all in a shoebox.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Somebody posted this...
QuotePicoArmor.com mini

Hi

What do you think about this mini : PicoArmor.com vs GHQ ? http://www.picoarmor.com/pages/home.php

Thanks

Philippe

... in the CSW "Panzer" folder just over night.  The mini's look fine to me but I didn't compare prices, shipping nor availability.  There's probably no competing with GHQ however as it seems *every* FLGS has some old stock of GHQ micro-armor laying around.  Speaking of Panzer though (the point of my post), that might be a great system to look at using with GHQ micro-armor: http://www.gmtgames.com/c-34-panzer-series.aspx 

I still have my copy of the latest GMT version in shrink and hope to get to it some day (I better hurry....).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

picoarmor is tiny.  What is cool about it is that you can glue a tank platoon to an existing PanzerBlitz counter and use it on the hex maps :)

GJK

Oh crap, they're that small?  Let's just set up some division level conflicts then!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on August 08, 2013, 07:25:41 AMOh crap, they're that small?  Let's just set up some division level conflicts then!

from the manufacturer
Quote from: PicoArmor WebsitePicoArmor is a website dedicated to war gaming at the 1/600 scale.

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 08, 2013, 07:55:05 AM
Quote from: GJK on August 08, 2013, 07:25:41 AMOh crap, they're that small?  Let's just set up some division level conflicts then!

from the manufacturer
Quote from: PicoArmor WebsitePicoArmor is a website dedicated to war gaming at the 1/600 scale.

I don't actually read the pages that I link to Brant...come on!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

see, you can get away with that at CSW, but 'round here we demand excellence!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 08, 2013, 09:16:37 AM'round here we demand excellence!

I can't believe I said that, either...

Toonces

I got a couple of boxes of pico-armor when I bought Hind Commander a few months ago.  They're pretty small.  I was thinking I'd somehow use the pico armor with the micro armor rules, but the way the micro armor are written they don't look like they scale to a different size. 

I only browsed them, though.

I might head down to the FLGS tomorrow or this weekend and ask around.  This guy has rooms full of all sorts of minis, so he probably has some GHQ stuff I can look at.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

as a modeler I prefer the casting detail on GHQ stuff.  theyve got to have some seriously near sighted sculptors over there.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.