2015 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees

Started by bayonetbrant, December 18, 2014, 11:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Comparing resumes against who is already in there, there are two bands that should be hands-down slam dunks, if it were more than just a bunch of old white myopically xenophobic Americans doing the voting.

Iron Maiden did more to bring down the Iron Curtain then just about any other musical artist.you cannot have a discussion of the history of heavy metal without them.

The Cure consistently outsell most arena acts all over the continent, and were the first majority commercially successful goth band that made it OK to listen to depressing music and not have to like Morrissey to do it.

Both belong in the hall ahead of Donna Summer or Joan Jett or Laura Nyro or Green Day or John Butterfield or James Taylor
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

I'll give you Maiden.  The best I can give you for The Cure is, they were real popular with a certain subset of people.  Totally not my crowd or my vibe.

Green Day and Paul Butterfield most certainly belong.  The rest you can keep.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

The best paragraph in the article.  It kicks off explaining why The Eagles should be Out and Gram Parsons In:

Let me put this in terms that the people who vote for the Rock Hall will understand: Imagine if Meat Loaf, Bryan Adams, and Tom "Life Is a Highway" Cochrane were in, but not Bruce Springsteen. OK, you can stop now. Breathe deeply into a paper bag. Repeat after me: Bruce is safe and sound. Bruce is safe and sound. Bruce is safe and sound.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

I'm OK with Meat Loaf. Overplayed as it was in the late 70's and early 80's, Bat out of Hell is to Rock Opera what Fanfare for the Common Man is to classical music.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys