2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Started by bayonetbrant, October 18, 2016, 07:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Who should get in vs who will get in is an interesting debate.

I won't tell you who I think should get in, but my best guess on who will:
Pearl Jam
The Cars
Tupac
Depeche Mode
Janet Jackson
Jane's Addiction
and maybe Joan Baez, but I'm pretty sure she's been nominated before and not made it

This is the first year that Pearl Jam and Tupac are eligible.  I'm a little surprised Jane's Addiction didn't get in before now...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

I went for:

ELO - very few people on the planet can write a pop song like Jeff Lynne

Kraftwerk - high priests of Krautrock

Pearl Jam - (I put aside my intense dislike of Eddie Vedder and his politics to vote for them) much better than Nirvana, imo

The Zombies - the catalog is lacking, but, go back and listen to how clean and smooth the sound is

Yes - I am a huge prog rock fan and these guys are the standard bearers and continue to tour going on 50 years after their inception
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

I have no idea who will actually make it, but I voted for ELO, J Geiles, Journey, and The Cars, all bands I loved in the 80's.  Never a fan of them, but I know they're very popular, so I put in Pearl Jam as I figure they'll make it in. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

airboy

I've seen The Cars and Yes live.

Don't care about the R&R Hall of Fame.  We went after the Ramones were inducted and it was meh.

MetalDog

I love rock history.  Not as keen on listening to certain acts/sounds/genres, so, I don't always have the experience listening to a group to back up anybody's assertions.  But this guy seems passionate.  And knowledgeable:

http://observer.com/2016/10/the-2017-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-nominees-are-a-disgrace-to-music/

ghostryder

Seems it's turning into the same deal as the video Games awards on Spike. Some on that list seem to have no place being on it. This is Rock 'n Roll so I can see Yes, The Cars etc...but Tupac? That's Rap--Joan Baez? That's Folk. Janet Jackson? That's Pop. I'm a Rock 'n' roll fan and I own none of their stuff because they aren't in the Rock 'n' Roll section---although i did tolerate Joan Baez briefly when she toured with Dylan -- I can't believe there's no heavy Metal represented at all--at least that's an offshoot to Hendrix.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: ghostryder on October 26, 2016, 10:57:07 PMI can't believe there's no heavy Metal represented at all

Metallica is already in
We've been thru it already with the fact that Maiden/Priest both missing
Who else really belongs?

If you're going to start argue wider hard rock acts, you've already got GNR and Deep Purple and Cheap Trick and others.

The R&RHoF has already put rap acts in before last year (NWA) with both Beastie Boys and Public Enemy
They've already put guitar-folk acts in with guys like James Taylor and others
They've already got pop acts in there with, well, half of the acts pre-1965

So it's not like this slate of candidates are breaking the mold.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

ghostryder

bayonetbrant

The votes are in

QuoteYOUR OFFICIAL ROCK HALL CLASS OF 2017 ROSTER.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is proud to announce that 6 artists from the ballot are included in the Performer Category and 1 individual is recognized with an Award for Musical Excellence.

YOUR CLASS OF 2017 INDUCTEES ARE:
Performer Category:

• Joan Baez

• Electric Light Orchestra

• Journey

• Pearl Jam

• Tupac Shakur

• Yes

Award for Musical Excellence:

• Nile Rodgers

The 32nd Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, presented by Klipsch Audio, will take place on Friday, April 7, 2017 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York for the third time. Ticket on-sale dates will be announced in January. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2017 Induction Ceremony will again have its television premiere on HBO, and a radio broadcast on SiriusXM. Broadcast details will be announced in early 2017.

Artists are eligible for inclusion in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after the release of their first recording. The 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Performer Inductees were chosen by more than 900 voters, as well as the aggregate results of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's online fan vote. The top five artists from the fan vote comprised the Fans' Ballot that was tallied alongside the other ballots to determine the 2017 Inductees. Four of the winners of the Fans' Ballot (Electric Light Orchestra, Journey, Pearl Jam, and Yes) will be inducted as performers in 2017.

https://www.rockhall.com/class-2017-inductions

bayonetbrant

ELO, Journey, and Yes - it's 70s arena rock night, especially coming on the heels of Cheap Trick, Chicago, Deep Purple, and Steve Miller last year.

Barthheart

Quote from: Homer Simpson
"Everybody Knows Rock Attained Perfection in 1974"

Centurion40

Quote from: Barthheart on December 20, 2016, 12:58:58 PM

A-fricken-men!!!
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

20 artists that should be in the Hall, according to someone who loves punk, terrible British bands, and a gem or two.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/20-artists-missing-rock-roll-slideshow-wp-205947597.html

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on December 20, 2016, 09:06:14 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on December 20, 2016, 09:02:36 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 20, 2016, 12:58:58 PM

A-fricken-men!!!

Yup.

That was the year Blue Oyster Cult released the 'Secret Treaties' album, wasn't it?  ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys