2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Started by bayonetbrant, October 18, 2016, 07:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

And two years later the Project released Tales of Mystery and Imagination, one of the best albums of all time.  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Dammit Carl!

Could only vote for Yes once! Rigged poll! Sad!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 18, 2016, 07:45:38 PM
I won't tell you who I think should get in, but my best guess on who will:
Pearl Jam
The Cars
Tupac
Depeche Mode
Janet Jackson
Jane's Addiction
and maybe Joan Baez, but I'm pretty sure she's been nominated before and not made it

The list came out today.  I am stunned that The Cars & Depeche Mode didn't get in (not that I think they should, just that I thought they would).  The fact that ELO & Journey made it on the heels of Chicago, Cheap Trick, and Steve Miller tells me that the hall feels like they need to play "catch up" on the 70s dinosaurs before moving on to too many more 80s/90s fringe candidates like DM and Jane's.

I'm not a fan of Tupac going in, but if you've already got RunDMC, Public Enemy, and NWA, then Tupac probably belongs, too.

Performer Category:
• ELO
• Joan Baez
• Journey
• Pearl Jam
• Tupac Shakur
• Yes

Award for Musical Excellence:
• Nile Rodgers

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

HBO has the show on tonight.

Chris Squires (bassist for Yes) has already passed on.

So they got Geddy Lee to sit in.  Not too shabby.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Steve Perry's not singing with Journey.  They're letting Arnel Pineda sing with them instead.

Nice that they inducted the entire historical lineup of Journey and not just the post-Departure lineup, so Gregg Rollie and Deen Castroneva and Aynsley Dunbar get in, too (tho Rollie is already in w/ Santana, too)

Staggerwing

Didn't Aynsley Dunbar play with Ian Hunter on some of the latter's solo albums?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

He has recorded or toured with about 50 different bands

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob