Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

Thanks Barthheart. That's good enough for me. Purchase immanent.

Barthheart

I'm having some fun with it. I really like the time scale. It just feels right that travel between the stars takes years and building space ships should take years not days or weeks.
I have pretty much just used the automation for colonizing planets and running them except for Home. Not sure yet about the tech tree but mostly I just let it run and use stuff as it shows up.

I keep restarting as I learn new things on how the game works, like how borders work and ship building. Ship building is pretty good. You can design ships with different purposes and they are different enough in how you use them to be meaningful.

I liked the idea of DW but there were just too many moving parts for me to get a grip on it, even with lots of AI help. And the time scale seemed off to me, 1 week to travel half across the galaxy...?
And the space battles were just bring the biggest ships and slug away. So while pretty and very interesting I got bored with it quickly.

This is has me losing track of time while playing it.... and I'm learning/discovering new things every time I play.... but it's early and I don't know if it has legs....

mikeck

Quote from: Ian C on March 29, 2016, 10:35:10 AM
Quote from: ghostryder on March 28, 2016, 09:42:16 PMWe need far better customization at game start-- currently you start in the same exact local every time on each map choice, as does the A.I.

OK, I was ready to dive in before I read this. Could anyone clarify this? Do you start at the same position, exactly same planet, same everything
or are the starting positions the same but the universe is different?

You start in different places. Sometimes I've been in the middle of the galaxy sometimes I've been on the edges. You can customize your race in terms of advantages and disadvantages in about 20 different areas. You choose the number of other races as well as the average amount of star lanes and number of stars. If customization is that important to you that it would decide whether or not you play a game I would stick to distant worlds. You can customize but if it's that important I don't think it has the level of detail of customization you would want

And ghostrider is correct in that there is no general planet management screen. That is something that is definitely lacking. I am unable to find the screen where I can pull up all of my colonies and click on one and manage it. You pretty much are re-sign to find in the plant on the galaxy map and clicking on it but to me that's not a make or break issue just an area of improvement.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Barthheart

Quote from: mikeck on March 29, 2016, 11:18:55 AM
.... And ghostrider is correct in that there is no general planet management screen. That is something that is definitely lacking. I am unable to find the screen where I can pull up all of my colonies and click on one and manage it. You pretty much are re-sign to find in the plant on the galaxy map and clicking on it but to me that's not a make or break issue just an area of improvement.

There is a Economics page that you can bring up from the main map screen. The Economics page lists of all your planets - what they are building, pop, what resources they have and are producing etc. - lists all of the planets you have setup for colonizing and lists all the planet you have discovered so far.

If you double click on the name of one of your planets, it will take you directly to that planet where you can control it as you see fit. You can then return to the Economics page are back to the map.

So it's true you can't change things from the Economics page directly, it doesn't seem like much work to pop back and forth from Planet page to Economics page to get things done.

My problem is trying to remember where each planet actually is in the galaxy so I know what I want to do there....  :P

sandman2575

*very* minor thing -- but anyone else puzzled by the weirdly ugly representative of the "human" race?  Maybe I'm just used to the heroic Captain Kirk-esque idea. But this guy looks like a bedraggled, chain-smoking used car salesman....

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 29, 2016, 11:36:22 AM
*very* minor thing -- but anyone else puzzled by the weirdly ugly representative of the "human" race?  Maybe I'm just used to the heroic Captain Kirk-esque idea. But this guy looks like a bedraggled, chain-smoking used car salesman....

Yes. I referred to him as Bernie Sanders circa 1983.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 29, 2016, 12:22:45 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on March 29, 2016, 11:36:22 AM

Yes. I referred to him as Bernie Sanders circa 1983.

He looks like Joe Lieberman to me
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

sandman2575

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with Joe Lieberman. Close though.  ;)

solops

Just got this reply from the Dev (Ufnv) to some things I asked over in the Slitherine Forum:
-----------------

by Ufnv ยป Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:14 pm

solops wrote:
1. Option to speed up or slow down R&D when setting up the game.

There is such hidden option, can possibly be available via "advancedsettings".

2. Option to increase/decrease habitable planet frequency when setting up the game.

Same

3. Planets should have differing "levels" of environmental friendliness and each races ideal environment should vary as well. Apparently, right now, all races have the same habitation requirements and like the same kind of planets equally. Even a little variation would be more seemly.

Sure.

4. Some sort of mechanism to keep the game from being a "rush out and colonise everything in sight ASAP" kind of game.

That's the wrong strategy on Hard :) Ufnv
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

ghostryder

I've started 3 games so far. Each time I played the Humans... mostly only ever play the humans in these things....
So I started on the same planet called New Earth. The system name was different every time as were the planets in the system with me, although there were always only 2 other planets.... seems you only get a max of 3 planets per system.
The location of the system in the galaxy was different every time. I chose Spiral Galaxy Sa(?) with 800 stars and 8 opponents each time.
The galaxy make up was different each time. System names in different places, starlanes different, discoveries different, AI's in different places etc.

So I'm not sure what GhostRider is talking about.....  ???

I'm not sure of the names of planets around me as I paid no attention. What I did notice was my position in the galaxy, which was always upper left edge corner on a 900 map and the first choice as galaxy type. 4 restarts so far and I am in the same exact upper left corner--and as the game progressed surrounded by the same races.

Now if you choose a different galaxy type, like spiral--then your position changes but what needs to be tested is start twice on a Spiral and see if it's the same. I haven't tried all the different ones...but the ones I have done have placed me at the same position.

Freyland

Quote from: ghostryder on March 29, 2016, 04:56:02 PM

I'm not sure of the names of planets around me as I paid no attention. What I did notice was my position in the galaxy, which was always upper left edge corner on a 900 map and the first choice as galaxy type. 4 restarts so far and I am in the same exact upper left corner--and as the game progressed surrounded by the same races.

You sure you weren't just reloading saved games?  You said you had difficulty with the UI.

Barthheart

^LOL

I've only tried the exact same setup on the same Galaxy for each restart and it been different each time...
Maybe it's a glitch in that first galaxy type.....  ???

undercovergeek

So i have built my bespoke 'armada of doom'

can they get out of the back yard? no

any advice on refuelling without having to colonise every planet between me and the damn pirate fleet?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 29, 2016, 05:56:22 PM

any advice on refuelling without having to colonise every planet between me and the damn pirate fleet?

Design and build a tanker with the refuel module.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 29, 2016, 06:37:36 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 29, 2016, 05:56:22 PM

Design and build a tanker with the refuel module.

genius - do these guys need to merge with the fleet or do they operate seperately, orbiting planets that i can reach?