Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Quote from: bbmike on April 02, 2016, 06:53:30 PM
Anguille, you would like this game.  8)
I know i will.... ;)

It's just that i already have so many games i still have to play  :crazy2:

Barthheart

Quote from: vyshka on April 03, 2016, 04:51:26 AM
My first wormhole experience was entertaining. I didn't realize they could be 1 way only, so my scout ends up on the other side of the galaxy with no way back. Then next system over they find another, and we proceed to lost contact. RIP brave souls.

Yeah... that was my first experience too.  :D

Now the only ships to go through wormholes have solar converters so they can continue to scout without a home base nearby.... but it still hurts when a wormhole eats your ship.....  :(

Rayfer

Quote from: jomni on April 02, 2016, 07:31:06 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 02, 2016, 06:38:58 PM
Quote from: Ian C on April 02, 2016, 06:12:15 PM
Game of the year for me so far. I know a game is pretty damn good when I start making notes in a dedicated notepad.

Funny you should mention that! I was just thinking about doing that for my next game. I think it would draw me into the game even more.

WITP in space?

LOL....I thought the same thing...!

Jarhead0331

Game of the year for me so far. I know a game is pretty damn good when I start making notes in a dedicated notepad.

Funny you should mention that! I was just thinking about doing that for my next game. I think it would draw me into the game even more.

WITP in space?

Not even close. It's a good game with some nice features, but nowhere near that kind of complexity.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 03, 2016, 07:33:50 AM

WITP in space?

Not even close. It's a good game with some nice features, but nowhere near that kind of complexity.

Thankfully!  O0

mikeck

the question came up in the steam forums about the formula for how many building slots get blocked off when you build something else. For example, you may have 35 production slots and 100 farm to start, but after a few farms you now have only 5 production. Just posting here to see if anyone knows:

"I am trying very hard to understand how the blocking of building types works.

Example: I have an earth-like planet with 46 production, 9 mining, 26 research and 100 farming slots. Building 1 farm instantly blocks 36 production slots and 1 research slot. adding another farm doesn't change the numbers. 1 factory on the other hand blocks 1 research slot and 12 farming slots, 2 factories block 2 research and 24 farming slots. Also, I can only fill 22 of the 26 research slots with research centers, even though the other 4 are not blocked.

Is there any fixed rule how availability is calculated? Is the "cost" in blocked buildings displayed somewhere?

Since apparently noone asked the question, am I missing something obvious?"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jamus34

OK you barstards, I broke down and picked this up...awaiting the install to complete.
Insert witty comment here.

Sparhawk

I couldn't keep myself from getting this game yesterday. After playing for a number of hours I'm still a bit confused on research. There must be some kind of strategy involved with picking a direction to travel with research. So far I've been stumbling along more or less at random without a clear idea of what tech I want or even need.

mikeck

Quote from: Sparhawk on April 03, 2016, 03:11:29 PM
I couldn't keep myself from getting this game yesterday. After playing for a number of hours I'm still a bit confused on research. There must be some kind of strategy involved with picking a direction to travel with research. So far I've been stumbling along more or less at random without a clear idea of what tech I want or even need.

Ok, there are 2 types of research: fundamental and Applied. There is a slider to control how many research point go to either. Applied tech leads to stuff to use: reactors, weapons, shields, buildings, etc. fundamental unlocks new THEORIES which are required in order to use "applied to get something.

For example, if you want shields, you will have to wait for the "field theory" applied science to unlock (in the beginning there are only 4 unlocked applied sciences but that will change to 20 or so at a time). Once that appears, you put a check in the checkbox next to "field theory". That sends points into field theory that, after time will unlock shields. Now, in order for "field theory" to appear in the applied sciences column, you have to have done sufficient FUNDAMENTAL RESEARCH, which is controlled by the 4 sliders: biology, chemistry, math and physics.

So, fundamental research opens applied sciences...which applied sciences depends on how many points you have set to each slider. Once the applied science unlocks, you put a check next to and you will begin to funnel research points into that specific tech.

It is important to know that the research point distribution is determined by the number of applied sciences you have checked. Only 1 means 100% goes there. 2 means 50% each. You may think you want to do 100% at a time but you don't. That's because - and this is what I love about it- a certain invention like a weapon, shield, reactor, etc required MORE THAN 1 applied science.

So to get SHIELDS, you may have to send research (by checking the box) to not just field theory, but also islands of stability and force fields and super conductors....for example. All this means that generally, you are directing the areas of research and not a specific tech. So by increasing the "physics" slider, you will get more applied science dealing with plasma, nano tech, force fields, etc.  Then you check those boxes and you will end up getting items related to those techs over time

Now, if you want a specific item, like lets say "atmospheric domes" to enable colonization of frozen/desert worlds, just click on that item in the far right Column where it is listed (called "researching now). When you click on it, you get a box with a picture. You will see a list of research necessary to get it (fundamental and applied you need to unlock FROM fundamental research). Don't worry about that, just click on "SET AS PRIORITY), this AUTOMATICALY, sets all of the sliders to positions that pour research to those techs needed in the most efficient way to get that item the quickest. You will see the whole list of items reshuffle when you do that because you are altering where research is going.

Eventually, you will get a feel for what applied research you need for certain types of such. If you want powerful lasers, you can uncheck all the applied research that doesn't help that and only check the 4-5 that do

EDIT: you can see what an applied science puts research points towards which items by checking it's box. That brings up a box in the bottom left listing what items will benefit from points in this tech
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sparhawk

Thanks mikeck, your description gives me somewhat of a bigger umbrella to organize the details under. I had found myself picking through the different techs and going from one priority to the next.

mikeck

Over time you will get a feel for what items you can prioritize  that decrease research times for other things you like as well

FarAway Sooner

That is a novel approach to research.  I'm not sure if it would get tiresome after the novelty has worn off, but I appreciate any effort at 4X innovation. 

Am I correct in my understanding that you start out with a finite pool of "research points", and then have to split them between Theory & Applied Research, and then within Theory you have to balance between different types, and within Applied you also have to balance between different specific items as well?

mikeck

Research points are generated by your research buildings.
They are split between fundamental and applied. Whatever goes to applied is then split up depending on how many applied sciences you have checked

My way isn't the way it's designed to be played. Your supposed to determine what fields of applied science you want to research and the items discovered come from that. Basically, I'm doing the maze starting from the "end" and ending at "start"

It's actually a pretty cool system and more realistic. You don't say "I want to discover cell phones". Some one says "I want to invent a phone that can call from anywhere. Companies then research communications, microchip technology, plastics, etc. from that stuff ideas come. From that research, other technologies bloom.

So much better than a civ style tree. Imagine a guy In 1800: "hmmm, i would really like to have cell phones, so first I will research electricity. Then I can research "telegraph". Once I invent a telegraph, the next step is to invent a vacuum tube.

mikeck

Just read in the steam forums that a beta patch will be released in the next few days. This fixes an issue with the AI not properly researching. This would explain why they never use more than corvettes frigates and fighters. Pretty pathetic that even with a tech handicap, I still get slapped around in battles