Feedback on Review of Hannibal: Terror of Rome

Started by bayonetbrant, September 05, 2014, 07:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Boggit's review dropped today.  Your comments drop now!

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Very interesting.  Rome was a master of divide and conquer - and the scenarios seem to have a large element of revolts and gaining the alliance of smaller political players. 

One thing that the review did not cover - is the game totally strategic or are their tactical battles?  I could not tell from the review itself.

Well done, thanks.

Bison

You have no control over tactical battles in any Ageod game.  They occur but you don't get to move forces or anything like that.

WallysWorld

A very interesting article. I haven't bought the game yet, but this article is definitely pushing me towards doing so.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Kushan

Great Review. Boggit I think you just added a game  to my weekend gaming list. Had my eye on Hannibal or To End All Wars and I think I just made my decision.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Boggit

Quote from: airboy on September 05, 2014, 09:13:21 AM
Very interesting.  Rome was a master of divide and conquer - and the scenarios seem to have a large element of revolts and gaining the alliance of smaller political players. 

One thing that the review did not cover - is the game totally strategic or are their tactical battles?  I could not tell from the review itself.

Well done, thanks.
Hi Avery :)

It's a strategic/operational game.

I didn't comment on it directly, as I cross-referenced  (3rd para. down) my review of Alea Jacta Est in the instant review. The earlier review covers the nuts and bolts of the game, scale etc. in detail. I had a lot to comment on the specifics of Hannibal and it just didn't seem sensible to repeat what I'd already covered regarding the game mechanics itself- hence the link. I hope that helps.

However, given that it slipped under the radar for you, you might find this covers the missing links (so to speak ;), and I hope you enjoy it. :) Herewith... http://grogheads.com/?p=1449
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

@Wallysworld and Kushan :)
You're both very welcome, and I'm glad you've enjoyed it. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

airboy

Quote from: Boggit on September 06, 2014, 11:36:02 AM
Quote from: airboy on September 05, 2014, 09:13:21 AM

Well done, thanks.
Hi Avery :)

It's a strategic/operational game.

I didn't comment on it directly, as I cross-referenced  (3rd para. down) my review of Alea Jacta Est in the instant review. The earlier review covers the nuts and bolts of the game, scale etc. in detail. I had a lot to comment on the specifics of Hannibal and it just didn't seem sensible to repeat what I'd already covered regarding the game mechanics itself- hence the link. I hope that helps.

However, given that it slipped under the radar for you, you might find this covers the missing links (so to speak ;), and I hope you enjoy it. :) Herewith... http://grogheads.com/?p=1449

Thanks.  This led me to purchase........................... Pride of Nations on sale at Matrix.  May pick up the other titles when/if they go on sale.

Boggit

^^ Lol!

Actually I have PON too. It's a very ambitious game, but turn processing can be slow. IMO, it's a very engrossing game. Take the chance to check out the scenario DLC - they have the ACW, Franco-Prussian War, Spanish-American War and the Scramble for Africa. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. :)