Main Menu

Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veitikka

Quote from: Destraex on January 22, 2020, 11:18:25 PM
Can you show the zoomed in gradients and shadows? I do not play zoomed out that far.
It does look easier to interpret zoomed out to maximum though. But if I want to see the models and the terrain for managing a flashpoint ( ery specific important engagement on a small part of the map), I will not be able to see quickly if their is a slope to a tanks front. Unless I use the new cursor gradient indicator. But that while an improvment is a fair effort for each individual unit.

The zoomed-in hill shading was not touched this time. Some don't like how the exaggerated shadows make the terrain cells stand out more.

Destraex

Quote from: Veitikka on January 23, 2020, 02:22:58 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on January 23, 2020, 12:23:44 PM
I am still sitting on the fence with this game, but with the GOG discount, I am debating getting it. I already play SPMBT so is this game just like an upgraded version of SPMBT albeit in real time? It doesn't seem to have a campaign so that's a bit of a downer for me.

There are a few pre-made campaigns, and also the Campaign Generator.

The official Campaign Generator guide: https://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/Campaign-Generator-Guide.pdf

The GOG product page could be better than it is, and we're working on getting it updated.
I must check out the campaign if I can move units around at the strategic level and losses are carried over.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Veitikka

Armored Brigade has been updated to version 1.056! This update expands scenario design possibilities and improves the planning tools.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4767593

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MOS:96B2P

I noticed this game is on sale on STEAM and I'm considering picking it up.  Is this game similar to Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm?  Is there a reasonably realistic C2 system and command delays?  Any thoughts / opinions on this game in general would be appreciated. 

Also, I'm specifically interested in scenarios involving the National Training Center (NTC).  I think it might be interesting to take some 1980s equipment and fight the OpFor in the Central Corridor etc.  I've not found any mention of scenarios or AARs involving the use of the NTC maps (I think the game comes with NTC maps?).

Thanks for any information on this one.         

ArizonaTank

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on December 31, 2020, 10:58:57 AM
I noticed this game is on sale on STEAM and I'm considering picking it up.  Is this game similar to Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm?  Is there a reasonably realistic C2 system and command delays?  Any thoughts / opinions on this game in general would be appreciated. 

Also, I'm specifically interested in scenarios involving the National Training Center (NTC).  I think it might be interesting to take some 1980s equipment and fight the OpFor in the Central Corridor etc.  I've not found any mention of scenarios or AARs involving the use of the NTC maps (I think the game comes with NTC maps?).

Great game IMHO, you can't really go wrong with this one if 1980s armored combat is of interest. A steal at the sale price. Probably one of the reasons for not seeing too many NTC related scenarios, is that the game has a pretty good scenario and campaign generator. It gives you a large map that covers a very large piece of terrain, and you select the borders for the fight. You then get to choose opposing forces using something like the old CMX1 battle generator. Anyway, the self generated fights are usually pretty good.

Units equal individual vehicles and squads, with individual weapon systems being modeled. No health bars in this game.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

Damn all of you, I thought my spending was almost done.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

stolypin

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 31, 2020, 11:18:22 AM

I too was holding firm in my decision to give this game a pass -- until I saw this post. 

Great game IMHO, you can't really go wrong with this one if 1980s armored combat is of interest. A steal at the sale price. Probably one of the reasons for not seeing too many NTC related scenarios, is that the game has a pretty good scenario and campaign generator. It gives you a large map that covers a very large piece of terrain, and you select the borders for the fight. You then get to choose opposing forces using something like the old CMX1 battle generator. Anyway, the self generated fights are usually pretty good.

Units equal individual vehicles and squads, with individual weapon systems being modeled. No health bars in this game.

Sparhawk

Thinking of the NTC. Scenario material maybe:

"The desert valley fills with smoke thick enough to be generated from the bowels of hell itself as F-16 attack planes course overhead. The soldiers of the light infantry platoon well dug in on the low rise, with a commanding view of the most likely approach of armor, peer with determination into the closing fog of death as it envelops them. All weapons at the ready, all fingers on triggers. The belt of ammo feeding the M60 machine gun rises out of the ammo can ready to dispense its bite as sure as a cobra rising from its basket for its charmer. The riflemen in their positions ready to provide cover for those weilding AT4 rockets. The rumble of scores of tanks and IFV's become deafening as they bear down on this troop at the forefront of defensive positions. Barely discernable through the dark shroud, Bradley IFV's pause, and soldiers appear, advancing on the well defended position. The M60 lays down disciplined suppressive fire and M16's pick shots of opportunity as the roar of rockets blast from all quarters aggressors and defenders. Soon the sounds of battle, the sharp cracks of rifles, the bursts of machine gun fire, the deafening explosions of HE moves past this outpost, this tip of a defensive spear. All that remains are the burning husks of two Bradleys and the bodies strewn about the approach and blasted positions as one M1 Abrams after another roll across the pockmarked rise as the Sun's face beats through the whisps of smoke swirling around in the air." 

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Sparhawk on December 31, 2020, 08:21:27 PM

"The desert valley fills with smoke thick enough to be generated from the bowels of hell itself as F-16 attack planes course overhead. The soldiers of the light infantry platoon well dug in on the low rise, with a commanding view of the most likely approach of armor, peer with determination into the closing fog of death as it envelops them. All weapons at the ready, all fingers on triggers. The belt of ammo feeding the M60 machine gun rises out of the ammo can ready to dispense its bite as sure as a cobra rising from its basket for its charmer. The riflemen in their positions ready to provide cover for those weilding AT4 rockets. The rumble of scores of tanks and IFV's become deafening as they bear down on this troop at the forefront of defensive positions. Barely discernable through the dark shroud, Bradley IFV's pause, and soldiers appear, advancing on the well defended position. The M60 lays down disciplined suppressive fire and M16's pick shots of opportunity as the roar of rockets blast from all quarters aggressors and defenders. Soon the sounds of battle, the sharp cracks of rifles, the bursts of machine gun fire, the deafening explosions of HE moves past this outpost, this tip of a defensive spear. All that remains are the burning husks of two Bradleys and the bodies strewn about the approach and blasted positions as one M1 Abrams after another roll across the pockmarked rise as the Sun's face beats through the whisps of smoke swirling around in the air."

I spent 45 days out in the NTC dust and dirt in 1987. I was with the 3rd ACR. I remember vividly looking across the valley at the OPFOR execute a classic Soviet attack behind a rolling smoke barrage. Must have been 30 OPFOR tanks, lined up abreast rolling forward behind smoke. Every once in a while, the wind would shift, and I could see some of them coming on. It was awesome. Then somebody in the 3rd ACR, gave the order to bug out. I thought I was going to get run over by an M1 as they turned around and beat a hasty retreat. They left all of the support vehicles in the dust, struggling to keep up with the retreating tanks. I was in a CUCV (basically a Dodge SUV). My driver, to keep from getting "killed" by the advancing OPFOR followed a bunch of 3rd ACR support trucks up a rock strewn draw and pretty soon we were all stuck. I got out, climbed a slope, and watched the OPFOR tank line roll by from the side...they were chasing the M1s and didn't care about us...all I could think was I was glad it wasn't for real. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 31, 2020, 10:16:12 PM
Quote from: Sparhawk on December 31, 2020, 08:21:27 PM

I spent 45 days out in the NTC dust and dirt in 1987. I was with the 3rd ACR. I remember vividly looking across the valley at the OPFOR execute a classic Soviet attack behind a rolling smoke barrage. Must have been 30 OPFOR tanks, lined up abreast rolling forward behind smoke. Every once in a while, the wind would shift, and I could see some of them coming on. It was awesome. Then somebody in the 3rd ACR, gave the order to bug out. I thought I was going to get run over by an M1 as they turned around and beat a hasty retreat. They left all of the support vehicles in the dust, struggling to keep up with the retreating tanks. I was in a CUCV (basically a Dodge SUV). My driver, to keep from getting "killed" by the advancing OPFOR followed a bunch of 3rd ACR support trucks up a rock strewn draw and pretty soon we were all stuck. I got out, climbed a slope, and watched the OPFOR tank line roll by from the side...they were chasing the M1s and didn't care about us...all I could think was I was glad it wasn't for real.

Thanks for the replies.  I got the game and am learning the mechanics of it now.

That is a very cool NTC war story.  I'm sure the 3rd ACR was leading the OpFor into a fire sack of TOW missiles a few klicks back.  ;D

I was in the 313th MI Bn. 82nd Airborne in the 1980s (hence my avatar) but I never went to NTC.  I've been reading some interesting books on the NTC, The Defense of Hill 781, 66 Stories of Battle Command and The Origins and Development of the NTC.  Fascinating stories and lessons learned. 

So I've got the game, read the manual, and loaded an approximately 15 Km by 15 Km map of the NTC.  I have my US forces assembled about 5 Km southeast of Brown Pass.  I'm about to cross the LD headed for objectives up around Crash Hill.  My plan is to go through Debnam Pass unless recon reports change things.  The OpFor will probably shred my forces just like in RL.  :)           

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on January 01, 2021, 07:02:41 PM
I'm about to cross the LD headed for objectives up around Crash Hill.  My plan is to go through Debnam Pass unless recon reports change things.  The OpFor will probably shred my forces just like in RL.  :)         

Ah yes. The classic fight into Strawberry Fields/Crash Hill via Brown and Debnam pass.....don't forget the Goat Trail too.

Good luck, and bring extra MOPP gear.

demjansk1942

Great story Arizona, m1's needed to put holes in opfor

Veitikka

The new DLC featuring Czechoslovakia and the Netherlands has been announced.

They will come with more than 200 new units and aircraft, a new map located in the Plzeň Region, Czechoslovakia and a linear campaign inspired by the events of the Prague Spring.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/armored-brigade-nation-pack-czechoslovakia-netherlands

Gusington

^That sounds absolutely awesome, especially the Prague Spring. Sold!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd