Main Menu

Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Sounds like a true labor of love. I may get Armored Brigade just for this mod.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

stolypin

Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2019, 08:44:12 AM
Sounds like a true labor of love. I may get Armored Brigade just for this mod.

Same here.

Con

looking for a little help understanding command radius in armored brigade

Here is my situation.  I have dismounted my East German Mech infantry and pushed them in deep snow through a very heavily wooded area that has enemy infantry and reconciles rifles.  The command delay on them is now extreme to get them moving since they are at 0 command.

What/where is their HQ unit.  Is it one of the mech vehicles, is it a stand alone mech HQ (I have several of them but I was assuming they were for the support assets), is it a mech infantry unit?

Bottom line is there a way to show what the units HQ?  Or does it not matter and any units listed as an HQ will do?  I have tried using the OOB but it shows units and not their command structure to one another.

Thanks
Con

-budd-

You can click on the nato flag. It should highlight all the units in that platoon, they'll be a red highlight if detached. Any time you give orders to an individual unit it detaches. When i give an order to an individual unit, once the order is complete i reattach the unit via the orders menu on the bottom of the screen.

Here's a pic. I clicked the nato flag, it highlights the units in the platoon. The outline is red for the top two Leo's as i gave them individual orders. Once they re-position i click the orders menu on the bottom and reattach them, and the outline won't be red anymore.
Hope this helps.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Rayfer

Yes, it took me awhile to realize I had to reattach units I gave individual commands to, otherwise you'll have to continue giving them separate orders.  The urge to micro-manage individual units is strong but the game seems have been designed (like command ops2) to discourage it.

-budd-

Yea, i pretty much play it like command ops with as little micro as possible.

acctingman

What's the learning curve for this game? Is it not novice friendly?

-budd-

Quote from: acctingman on August 14, 2019, 10:37:09 PM
What's the learning curve for this game? Is it not novice friendly?

that's always a difficult question. I think it easy to get up and running with the game, but i've been playing a lot lately so it may be the forest for the trees kind of thing.

There's a lot of options. You can play a canned mission where the forces are already selected for you or generate a mission or campaign yourself. You can generate a small mission with a few units to get used to the game. There are a  lot of parameters you can set when generating a mission or campaign. Pick a map, pick the battle area on the map, set the size, time of day, buy points, weather, so on and so forth.

You can set the game to play real time[it has pause] or set fixed round times for 30, 60, 90, 180 or 360.

As far as controlling platoons, select the platoon flag, set the formation , right click, pick the order, click a waypoint or waypoints. You can change orders per waypoint. The game rewards planning ahead, there's no command delay at start of mission and you can set disabled waypoints and pay for the command delay up front so when you activate the waypoint there is no delay.

some people have had problems with the pathing, but i find the AI does a credible job. You have to remember there is only one unit per cell and i find its better to use the least amount of waypoints needed. I think it plays best when you don't micro units to much.

Con

Hey Budd

Any tips on moving?  I do seem to be struggling with some of the pathfinding as others have said.

For example if you are in dense woods with roads/streets cutting through them do you
1. Set a formation (column with tight spacing) and put a waypoint where you want them to end
or
2. Same formation but put a way point at each turn in the road so that they follow a tight path

For dismounted mech infantry do you have them move then bring up their transports and have them embark or do you bring infantry back to the transports?  Ie move infantry and transports as separate units
or
Do you just lasso the entire group and move them as one formation (infantry and transports)

I still am struggling with where the command elements are for dismounted infantry is it their APC or is it something else?

Thanks
Con

al_infierno

^ I generally try to use as few waypoints as possible, so I would go with #1.  You can change their movement orders to "fastest" (or whatever it's called) to have them stick to roads, or use "covered" for them to avoid roads and stick to treelines and whatnot.  Multiple chained waypoints can be useful if you have deactivated ones set up down the line that you want to later activate, but I find putting multiple active waypoints in a row to be a bit sluggish compared to just putting the point at the final intended destination.

Re: Dismounted mechanized infantry -- I would say the path of least micromanagement is usually best, so I tend to just lasso up dismounted infantry alongside their APCs and give them the same order(s) together.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

-budd-

Not in front of my computer now. I don't think there is a command flag for each element once dismounted, I'll have to check. I seem to remember that being mentioned by the devs.

The less waypoints the better, especially with narrow spacing. To many close waypoints that twist and turn with narrow spacing I have found doesn't work to well. Also there seems to be a slight pause between each new waypoint. If I was going through the woods via road, I'd use March and one waypoint where I wanted them to end up. Just remember one unit per cell, if slower units in front they will go around that cell. Same for wrecks, for awhile the wrecks take up a cell. You'll see messages about ammunition cooking off, once the wreck is dead so to speak you can use the cell.
March is the use road command, as it was explained using March is the only command where they will stay road bound. I didn't mention there are SOPs you can set also, covered, fastest, ECT.
Once you set a waypoint and once the order is active click on an individual unit and it will show the path they have chosen.

I probably won't get to look until tomorrow, but I'll check the dismount, hq thing .

-budd-

I tend not to lasso the infantry and the transports. Tried that but the speed difference makes it so it doesn't do what want. I'll start the infantry off, set disabled waypoints for the transport, and activate the waypoints as needed. Game could use an SOP about moving infantry with transport while dismounted, Graviteam games have this, but it really isn't that bad or micro using the disabled waypoints.

Veitikka

Regarding pathfinding, we have implemented a new system that supports multiple units in a map cell. It makes a massive difference, and the game won't be the same after the patch is out.

-budd-

How many per cell did you decide on? 3 .  Patch ETA?

Great support by the way, appreciate it.

Question, not in front of my computer. Is there a flag each for dismounted infantry and there transports? Do they have separate HQs.

Veitikka

Quote from: -budd- on August 15, 2019, 07:30:04 PM
How many per cell did you decide on? 3 .  Patch ETA?

Great support by the way, appreciate it.

Question, not in front of my computer. Is there a flag each for dismounted infantry and there transports? Do they have separate HQs.

The current limit is three units per cell. Hostile units are not allowed in the same cell. We don't have a release date for the patch yet, but it should be before the Steam release.

Currently there's only one 'flag' per formation. Many have requested having a separate flag for the infantry units after they dismount. Perhaps that can be implemented in the future.