Greyhound 2020 trailer 1 - Tom Hanks in a Movie about a Destroyer fighting subs

Started by Destraex, March 05, 2020, 05:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Uboat markings are a bit strange but it looks like fun. Who likes to bleed their ears?
The Uboat markings look a little anime... what the hell, check the conning towers on the submarines.

To get bums on seats for a movie like this, they really did need to amp things up. Which they have done. A bit of a shame. Will be interesting to see how true the events are. I mean it seems like they might have just taken every interesting DD event in ww2 and crammed it into one patrol. That uboat voice calling the DD would be interesting to see about as well, was it something that happened?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

Maybe Hanks will depth charge up Darryl Hannah in a mermaid outfit.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CJReich46

It's based on a book by C.S Forester (Horatio Hornblower) - "The Good Shepherd." just fyi.   ^-^
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

Saw the trailer for this over the weekend and it looked and sounded great...the music and sound effects are excellent too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: CJReich46 on March 09, 2020, 12:08:28 PM
It's based on a book by C.S Forester (Horatio Hornblower) - "The Good Shepherd." just fyi.   ^-^
Wow. That sounds like it might be worth a read. I did finish all of his Hornblower books.

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Destraex

He now has coronavirus.
What is special about the film actors guild?

Sir Slash

I hear Chuck Norris was exposed to the Corona Virus too, but it was afraid of him and ran away.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Quote from: Destraex on March 12, 2020, 04:48:33 PM
He now has coronavirus.
What is special about the film actors guild?

Well I guess I'm not a big fan of Tom Hanks and I was making a reference to the movie Team America. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

RedArgo

Has anyone seen this yet?  I think it released on Apple TV + this morning.  Looks like there is a free trial for Apple TV, so I'll probably watch it this weekend.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: RedArgo on July 10, 2020, 01:00:51 PM
Has anyone seen this yet?  I think it released on Apple TV + this morning.  Looks like there is a free trial for Apple TV, so I'll probably watch it this weekend.

Not yet, but will tonight or tomorrow:)

JasonPratt

Based on an early review I saw, it sounds like it might have been chop-edited down to only 90 minutes of action scenes.  :-\
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Saw it this evening with the wife. We enjoyed it, and it is certainly worth seeing.

The editing does seem rather tight, and the movie clips right along. The action is almost non-stop, and that fact is basically a plot device. Every time Tom Hanks tries to get a bite to eat, the enemy attacks and Tom just never gets to the food. I would have been good with a slightly slower pace.

The movie has some things that felt true. The vast distance that the convoy was stretched out over. The feeling of helplessness as the German wolfpack attacked from several directions at once, and ships in the convoy started getting hit. The rudimentary sonar and tracking tools the destroyers used to find their targets.

There were a few "hollywoodisms" however. These detracted somewhat...the Germans taunting Tom Hanks over the radio several times for example. U-boats that spent too much time surfaced. One even gets into a gun battle with the destroyer. Also, the editing made U-boat attacks seem like a video game almost...fast paced and hot blooded. In reality, a U-boat attack was slow and methodical.

Overall it was pretty entertaining.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

I'm interested.   However, I still haven't gotten my wife to watch Das Boot.   

I don't feel I should watch this with her till she sees that first.  And I won't watch this alone.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback