Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on August 22, 2020, 05:15:25 PM
I know one always must take Steam reviews with a large grain of salt, but it sounds like this game needs to cook a bit.  This is certainly an eventual buy, but like Bannerlord I'm thinking letting this simmer a bit isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It absolutely needs to have a robust save feature.  Messed up last night and tried to do my battle impression video in two parts, forgetting that the battles didn't save like the campaign does. 

But, yeah, your campaign is going to break and you'll lose your save unless you go and manually back it up occasionally. 

That said, I'm finding it a lot of fun.  More fun than first iteration of Bannerlord.  The difference here is that I'm not sure Bannerlord is ever really going to get where I hoped it would be, and I saw that in some ways right away.  This game absolutely has the nuts and bolts already in place.   Right now it's just bug smashing, balance, quality of life and UI that needs work, not the wholesale adding of hugely missing features like Bannerlord. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

I'll admit that I am wrestling with a refund at this point.....although completely understand it is an early access game and comes with bugs, it also cost $40.  Not necessarily "feeling" it right now and does appear to have a number of issues to sort out...but probably the thing that has me the most nervous is the developer's previous game (7 Year War) never really worked out for me so not a lot of positive history to bank on.  And from what I understand, the final game will only be roughly 10% more than early access cost so getting a cheaper price for EA is not a major decision point for me.

I just really like the Civil War and "if" the developer is able to pull off everything, certainly would be a dream come true....just have my doubts if it will get there....but I freely admit that is only speculation, nothing to back it up.   So I might just refund now and jump back in when I see a lot of the features added and more positive feedback....I'll think on it for another day or two:)

Rayfer

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 22, 2020, 05:28:50 PM
Quote from: Toonces on August 22, 2020, 05:15:25 PM
I know one always must take Steam reviews with a large grain of salt, but it sounds like this game needs to cook a bit.  This is certainly an eventual buy, but like Bannerlord I'm thinking letting this simmer a bit isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It absolutely needs to have a robust save feature.  Messed up last night and tried to do my battle impression video in two parts, forgetting that the battles didn't save like the campaign does. 

But, yeah, your campaign is going to break and you'll lose your save unless you go and manually back it up occasionally. 

That said, I'm finding it a lot of fun.  More fun than first iteration of Bannerlord.  The difference here is that I'm not sure Bannerlord is ever really going to get where I hoped it would be, and I saw that in some ways right away.  This game absolutely has the nuts and bolts already in place.   Right now it's just bug smashing, balance, quality of life and UI that needs work, not the wholesale adding of hugely missing features like Bannerlord.

I'm really into the game but as you point out the UI and save functions need work.

W8taminute

Initial thoughts so far after playing for about 3hrs.

I'm experimenting with the '61 campaign as the Union.  (I know the developers have said stay away from the '61 campaign but I can't.  Therefor I will limit my comments to just general impressions and not focus on obvious bugs that the devs are working on.)

Font size - need to be bigger.  My old eyes can't see everything because the print is too small.  I'm running the screen resolution at 1900xwhatever the next number is you get the point.

No tooltip popups where they are needed most - Meaning when I hover over text in a unit card I can't get additional information regarding why I'm losing so many men to non combat related causes.

Lag - The software code needs optimization in order to have the game run smoother. 

The game is fun despite the problems - There is really a hidden gem in this game once all the bugs are worked out.  The game is very deep but not difficult to grasp.  Some mechanics have no documentation yet but once things are better explained this game will be fun.

No naval battles controlled by the player - Naval battles are auto resolved. 

My recommendation is stay away until out of EA or at least until most of the game is polished before actual release.  I knew what I was getting into but my gut feeling is to help support the devs.  That is the main reason why I decided to purchase.  If this game does indeed survive to maturity it will be epic.  I'm willing to gamble my 40 bucks on the game but you may not agree.  Go with your gut on this one.  If you think you should wait then wait. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

I concur, my $40 was dev support.  The game needs a lot of work, but as I said, I've seen games in far, far worse shape in EA. 

I'm mostly going to have fun with this possibly doing more videos and getting my history fix using this game to talk about history.  Teaching is well in my rear view but I still enjoy doing it and miss it.

I really wish I was physically able to reenact again!  Games like this awaken that spark in me. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Rayfer

Quote from: W8taminute on August 22, 2020, 09:02:35 PM
Initial thoughts so far after playing for about 3hrs.

I'm experimenting with the '61 campaign as the Union.  (I know the developers have said stay away from the '61 campaign but I can't.  Therefor I will limit my comments to just general impressions and not focus on obvious bugs that the devs are working on.)

Font size - need to be bigger.  My old eyes can't see everything because the print is too small.  I'm running the screen resolution at 1900xwhatever the next number is you get the point.

No tooltip popups where they are needed most - Meaning when I hover over text in a unit card I can't get additional information regarding why I'm losing so many men to non combat related causes.

Lag - The software code needs optimization in order to have the game run smoother. 

The game is fun despite the problems - There is really a hidden gem in this game once all the bugs are worked out.  The game is very deep but not difficult to grasp.  Some mechanics have no documentation yet but once things are better explained this game will be fun.

No naval battles controlled by the player - Naval battles are auto resolved. 

My recommendation is stay away until out of EA or at least until most of the game is polished before actual release.  I knew what I was getting into but my gut feeling is to help support the devs.  That is the main reason why I decided to purchase.  If this game does indeed survive to maturity it will be epic.  I'm willing to gamble my 40 bucks on the game but you may not agree.  Go with your gut on this one.  If you think you should wait then wait.

I agree with all your points detailed above.  The UI is awkward at best, and needs work.  Do you have any insights as to what to do with the Goods and Trade, and Production screens?  All in all it has the start of being a truly great ACW game.

glen55

I got it and found it difficult to get going. I'm likely to put it aside until the devs or somebody on Youtube makes it easier to get started. It's a little overwhelming from my coddled, 2020 perspective.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rayfer

Quote from: glen55 on August 23, 2020, 01:13:56 PM
I got it and found it difficult to get going. I'm likely to put it aside until the devs or somebody on Youtube makes it easier to get started. It's a little overwhelming from my coddled, 2020 perspective.

This YouTube, 3 video series helped me get started on an 1861-start Union campaign.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-dBoiyz_5M

W8taminute

Rayfer

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the trade and production screens as well.  I've left them to be automanaged by the AI but I'm sure there is some information there that can be of use.  Maybe even be manipulated by the player such as building/upgrading factories and farms but I haven't figured it out yet. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Rayfer

Quote from: W8taminute on August 23, 2020, 04:12:47 PM
Rayfer

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the trade and production screens as well.  I've left them to be automanaged by the AI but I'm sure there is some information there that can be of use.  Maybe even be manipulated by the player such as building/upgrading factories and farms but I haven't figured it out yet.

Exactly....!  I didn't see where either one had an auto-manage button like the Finance tab does?  May putting Finance on auto-manage includes goods and trade, and production as well?

glen55

Quote from: Rayfer on August 23, 2020, 01:25:34 PM
Quote from: glen55 on August 23, 2020, 01:13:56 PM

This YouTube, 3 video series helped me get started on an 1861-start Union campaign.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-dBoiyz_5M

Thanks, I didn't look at that one because the 1861 campaign is said not to be finished, but if the video goes over general gameplay it would still be worth looking at, I think.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

W8taminute

Won my first battle in the 1861 campaign as the Union!  Whoo hoo!

It was my 4000 infantry backed up by 7 six pound guns vs. his 2000 infantry, 300 cavalry, and 8 six pound guns.  I had 964 losses against his 650 but after I wiped out his arty he fled.

I also noted that in order to get the war going you have to select the policy called "Volunteer service 3 months" or some such policy.  Doing that with Lincoln as president caused the war to begin.

MOS:96B2P

I watched a U-Tube video tonight about the game by TortugaPower.  In the video his commander ordered a detached unit to take an objective.  A horse & rider appeared on the field and rode out from the main force.  The messenger on horse back rode over to the detachment and delivered the new orders.  Until the new orders were received the detachment continued to march in a different direction.  I thought the messenger thing was very cool.  I wonder if the messengers can be intercepted?  Maybe killed or captured? 

Rayfer

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on August 23, 2020, 10:18:41 PM
I watched a U-Tube video tonight about the game by TortugaPower.  In the video his commander ordered a detached unit to take an objective.  A horse & rider appeared on the field and rode out from the main force.  The messenger on horse back rode over to the detachment and delivered the new orders.  Until the new orders were received the detachment continued to march in a different direction.  I thought the messenger thing was very cool.  I wonder if the messengers can be intercepted?  Maybe killed or captured?

I like that feature too, but I'm not sure if they can be killed or captured.  You can turn off 'order delay' in the options menu if you want your brigades to immediately do what you order them to do.

W8taminute

One thing I like about the messenger system even though it means delayed orders is that it recreates the uncertainties of battle.  This is not Total War with a USCW skin on it.  In fact the battles do not feel like Total War at all.  I imagine however if you remove the option for order delay the game would still be different from the Total War series.