The Xth Annual GrogHeads March Madness Bracket Challenge!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 08, 2017, 09:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Go Gamechickens Go!  :DD

Successful NCAA Tourney already!  UNC made the sweet 16 again and dook lost!  <:-)

[Brant - I did not know you had a gamechicken connection.  I got my Ph.D. there - but have no sports affiliation.]

I think that Brant is the only one left who cannot win the pool.  Everyone else has a shot.

And more idiots (or worshipers of evil) picked Dook in my office pool than any other team.   :uglystupid2:

bayonetbrant

I got my Masters there, but I don't really follow their sports at all.  During the 2-1/2 years I was there, I went to one USC game - a dreadfully bad basketball game btw USC and Ole Miss.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

RANK  BRACKET, OWNER    R64    R32    CHAMPION     PPR   TOTAL    PCT
1    Straight Chalk     260    240    Villanova    600    500    97.9
2    dook sucks         250    220    UNC          920    470    85.0
3*   KyzBP KyzT333      240    220    Kentucky     920    460    79.4
3*   Marty Ward         260    200    Kansas       920    460    79.4
5*   OJsDad             240    200    UCLA         880    440    64.8
5*   Bison36 Bison      260    180    Gonzaga      800    440    64.8
7    bayonetbrant       270    140    Louisville   520    410    41.0
8    MetalDog's Year    260    140    Arizona     1040    400    33.9

yeah, I'm pretty fooked
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

KyzBP

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 20, 2017, 05:55:07 AM

RANK  BRACKET, OWNER    R64    R32    CHAMPION     PPR   TOTAL    PCT
1    Straight Chalk     260    240    Villanova    600    500    97.9
2    dook sucks         250    220    UNC          920    470    85.0
3*   KyzBP KyzT333      240    220    Kentucky     920    460    79.4
3*   Marty Ward         260    200    Kansas       920    460    79.4
5*   OJsDad             240    200    UCLA         880    440    64.8
5*   Bison36 Bison      260    180    Gonzaga      800    440    64.8
7    bayonetbrant       270    140    Louisville   520    410    41.0
8    MetalDog's Year    260    140    Arizona     1040    400    33.9

yeah, I'm pretty fooked

Woot!  In striking distance.  Take that Straight Chalk.

bayonetbrant

Yeah, Straight Chalk is always just for entertainment – to see how your  picks do against the NCAA seeding :)

KyzBP

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 20, 2017, 10:34:27 AM
Yeah, Straight Chalk is always just for entertainment – to see how your  picks do against the NCAA seeding :)

Well, as usual, Straight Chalk is kicking our behinds but this year it looks like we'll get the upper hand.

Bison

There is no way Straight Chalk stays on top this season.  The Villanova loss sunk its chances.  My goal is simply to place higher than the committee picks, which may end up being a challenge.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: KyzBP on March 20, 2017, 10:51:58 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 20, 2017, 10:34:27 AM

Well, as usual, Straight Chalk is kicking our behinds but this year it looks like we'll get the upper hand.

Just out of curiosity, I went back and checked how Straight Chalk / Straight Faves finished in previous years:

2016: tied for 2nd w/ 40Cent, but just barely

2015: 4th out of 10, but that was the year Kentucky was expected to roll the field and Wisconsin saved Western Civilization by kneecapping a team with 7 first-round picks in the national semis

2014: The last bracket I posted had them on top, but Bison ultimately won it.  Not sure where Straight Chalk finally finished

2013: I won with an insane amount of points, thanks largely to picking UofL to win, and Michigan to make the Final Four.  Straight Chalk finished in a 3-way tie for third.  But did I mention that I racked up over 1300 points, for the most dominant win in GH history?  If not, I really should.  I mean, it's not that often that someone kicks the tournament's ass that badly, and we really should celebrate it when it happens.  I mean, the winner finished 240 points clear of 2nd place, which is like, almost the entire Round of 32 total that most folks max out with!

2012:  Chalk finished second, behind Bison, who somehow managed to score more points that year than our un-named Dominator Of All Brackets™ did in 2013.  FWIW, the margin of victory wasn't as big as 2013, so I'm claiming that feather-in-the-cap for myself  ::)  I'm sure there's Common Core math to blame there.  That was the year Kentucky rolled and over half of us picked someone else to win.

events held prior to 2011 are null and void due to their association with somewhere we'd rather not claim if we can help it.  Sorry, KyzBP. :coolsmiley:

KyzBP

"events held prior to 2011 are null and void due to their association with somewhere we'd rather not claim if we can help it.  Sorry, KyzBP. :coolsmiley:"

I had a good run on that other site.  As long as you remember it, it will be almost immortalized.  I'm feeling like I could make a run for it now.

Bison

Huh.  I've won more of these brackets than I would have ever thought. 

airboy

Unless I've lost my mind, I've won a couple of times here and "elsewhere."

I've only won my office pool twice in the last 10 years - but it has a lot more members.

I won here last year.  My wife and I have already "won" this year since UNC made the Sweet 16 and Dook tanked again because Grayson has trouble tripping chickens.  We "win" again because the finals will be played when we are on a cruise.

bayonetbrant

Airboy - just to clarify, the listing above was where the "Straight Chalk" bracket had finished over the years, comparing the NCAA seeding to our picks.

OJsDad

Well, I'm pretty much done.  Three of my final four teams are out (thanks Michigan!).  So far, none of my elite 8 picks have made it. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

airboy

Quote from: OJsDad on March 23, 2017, 09:29:50 PM
Well, I'm pretty much done.  Three of my final four teams are out (thanks Michigan!).  So far, none of my elite 8 picks have made it.

You are still in it.  If UCLA wins, you will win.  Nobody else picked UCLA to make it to the final four.  If you are right on UCLA you will win going away.

Bison

Wow what an outstanding performance by Xavier tonight.  Great game.