Advice needed on a couple games

Started by acctingman, March 11, 2020, 12:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

So, I've been looking at a couple games and with my hobby budget spread so thin I need to be a little selective.

I've been looking at John Tiller's Panzer battles, Strategic Command WWII, Unity of Command 2 and the upcoming Panzer Corps 2. The ONLY knock for me about the Tiller game is the dated graphics. I've watched several videos of each game so I have some idea of what to expect with each game.

In order of complexity do I have this right?

Panzer Battles
Strategic Command WW2
Unity of Command 2
Panzer Corps 2

I'd love to hear comments about any of these games that you've personally experienced. Any other games you might recommend that aren't on my list?

Thanks

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I suggest Order of Battle instead of Panzer Corps. 

-budd-

Get the Panzer Battles demo to try out, it has scenarios from all the releases. It's practically a whole games worth of material.

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Demos.php
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

airboy

The Order of Battle series has been deeply discounted several times.  Unless you have run out of things to play, I would wait for the next sale.

JasonPratt

Speaking of deeply discounted Panzer Generalish games (since I have no good opinion on the original question ;) ): Warhammer 40K: Armageddon and all its dlc is currently on a very good discount at GoG.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

I was at work earlier so no time for opinions. 

I have all the Panzer Battles and SC games.

Panzer Battles are my favorite Tiller series, hits the scale sweet spot for me between Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns, they all control pretty similar. I find the graphics are good enough but i do wish there was another zoom level. The only thing that bugs me about PB is kicking enemy units out of defensive terrain especially when entrenched, i know its supposed to be hard but it sometimes seems a little suspect. Seems like nothing gets bounced out until its disrupted. The games are a good value, you get a good range of scenarios of different length. I haven't played much of the North Africa one yet, but Normandy is my favorite so far, I like the battles once the allies move inland. There are 3 different counters set to choose from that come with the game.
Here's a AAR of one of the battles in Normandy game.    http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=72286     Give the demo a spin to be sure its your thing.

I'm a recent convert to the SC series, about 3 years ago. I like them all but my favorite would be world at war, but  SC Europe is good, just a smaller chunk of the war. The one difference people mention is the different map scale between WAW and the Europe game, that aspect seems to put some people off. It's really a tried and true system at this point, a little deeper than beer and pretzels with more things to consider. These games are really fun in PBEM,and there seems to be no shortage of opponents. There are plenty of mods and some user made campaigns. The draw backs people comment on are the fact that there is no stacking, and the navel game is kind of shallow, and the turns are alternating between sides with each side getting one turn a month basically. These issues never bothered me and didn't get in the way of me enjoying the game. The SC games play quick and give lots of things to consider and many strategies to try.

i have both the original Panzer Corps and Unity of command games, didn't care for the puzzle nature of the games so i didn't buy the sequels.

Warplan is a game you might consider, its like SC but without events but with stacking and a different navel model, also there's oil, manpower, and production to consider. You can only one air, navel, or ground unit in a hex, so its not complete stacking. Two grounds unit can't be stacked, same with air or navel, but navel counters are groups.

Couple of more game i could recommend is Armored Brigade, i'm big fan of this game. I call it close combat in the saddle.  Speaking of Close Combat, the new 3d Close Combat got off to a rough start, but worth taking a look at it now, i'm enjoying it.

one more thing, Vic's Shadow Empire is due soon, first day buy for me.  https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1753 
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Apocalypse 31

I think Order of Battle has better game mechanics than PzC but the scenario design is horrible.

UoC II is great, especially if you enjoyed the first one.

Bardolph

Or if you didn't ;)

I bounced off the first one hard, but UOCII I like so far.

jamus34

Shadow Empire has me about as close to nerdgasm as anything else I've seen lately.
Insert witty comment here.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on March 12, 2020, 05:38:15 AM
I think Order of Battle has better game mechanics than PzC but the scenario design is horrible.

If you have the free Order of Battle (+ one paid DLC ?) you can have 21 campaigns for free :  http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=24338.0

Martok

Quote from: jamus34 on March 15, 2020, 03:48:06 PM
Shadow Empire has me about as close to nerdgasm as anything else I've seen lately.
I've been trying really hard to not pay attention to that one.  It looks good, but I don't want to get over-hyped for it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

Your mom's looking hot, bro! Still, I gotta ban you.   O0

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

My Momma used to tell me, 'Always wear your seat-belt son. You never know when you're going to have an accident'. I thing I just had one.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.