Dominions 3 MP game [Running]

Started by Yskonyn, February 21, 2013, 06:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 15, 2013, 11:31:25 AM
lol - no worries - gives ME a chance at least to read up on magic that im seriously struggling with, and retweak me plans for domination

Magic had me scratching my head for ages, until I finally found a key mechanic explained in the appendix!  WTF?  Oh well, at least I found it eventually...after reading the whole chapter on magic, two wikis, and two FAQs...

I think we're going to have to start the FAQ thread you mentioned, because I still have no clue about lots of aspects of the game.

undercovergeek

lol - yeah i know - i was like 'im a Death 9 pretender!!!!! why can i only cast 'grow daffodils'?' until i figured the schools and research

Huw the Poo

Were they giant death daffodils of doom?

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 15, 2013, 02:38:01 PM
Were they giant death daffodils of doom?

no just little girly yellow ones, you know, the ones with the orange bit in the middle!!!

undercovergeek

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 15, 2013, 11:06:24 AM
Guys I just had a Roster change and need to go on a short tour of three days.
I will upload my turn in a few hours so the next turn gets pushed out the door, but will pause the game after that until I am back.

The new turn says its to be in by tomorrow - is that right?

JasonPratt

Having just sent in my turn, it looks as though Ysk didn't get his turn out on time before he had to leave. Too bad; hope his mission goes well, though.

Consequently, he left a delay until Wed March 20, 19:13 GMT. Most likely he'll be back long before then and sending in his turn (but from what he said not until Sunday.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 15, 2013, 04:43:07 PM
Having just sent in my turn, it looks as though Ysk didn't get his turn out on time before he had to leave. Too bad; hope his mission goes well, though.

Consequently, he left a delay until Wed March 20, 19:13 GMT. Most likely he'll be back long before then and sending in his turn (but from what he said not until Sunday.)

surely he did get his turn in - thats what triggered us all receiving turn 7

undercovergeek

and now we wait for him to come back, do his turn and well all receive the next mail?

JasonPratt

Ah, yep, I lost a step there. (I mean mentally not really.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 15, 2013, 05:22:44 PM
Ah, yep, I lost a step there. (I mean mentally not really.)

together we'll make it JP!!

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 13, 2013, 06:10:55 AM
quick question before submitting turn - do Indies attack you? and is a garrison still a garrison without a commander - will they still perform garrison duties without one?

Ysk said that indies don't attack you, but they certainly do.  Just not from neighboring provinces, I think.  Seems to be a random event.

I've seen them invade my provinces before but I'm not exactly sure of the mechanic.  I've seen the announcement in my turn messages regarding Independents attacking, and often taking one over if it didn't have a lot of PD on it.  It seems to be a random event, and they may also weight their target towards lower-PD provinces.  Also witnessed a couple Indie attacks on nearby AI nations, too.  :D

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 15, 2013, 02:06:32 PM
lol - no worries - gives ME a chance at least to read up on magic that im seriously struggling with, and retweak me plans for domination

Magic had me scratching my head for ages, until I finally found a key mechanic explained in the appendix!  WTF?  Oh well, at least I found it eventually...after reading the whole chapter on magic, two wikis, and two FAQs...

I think we're going to have to start the FAQ thread you mentioned, because I still have no clue about lots of aspects of the game.

The magic system is definitely the deep end of the pool.  There's a huge amount of spells, and a fair amount of variety in mixing & matching crafted magic items on your Leaders.  One big hurdle in understanding how to maximize Magic-spamming is getting your Spellcasting Encumbrance and Reinvigoration to a good point where they're gaining only a small amount of extra fatigue, and regaining it as fast as possible, which entails tailoring your magic item loadouts quite specifically for each individual along with keeping them in some extra gems and programming their lead-off spells so they can cruise through the rest of the turns with the AI running them (and hopefully not tiring them out so much that they start sucking).

The next big hurdle for me is messing with the Communal Casting in the mid-to-late game.  I've not even tried it yet but read through the general concepts enough to have an idea.  That's where you pull out the big guns!  ;D

Huw the Poo

Thanks for the explanation, Nef.  One thing that really had me puzzled was how many gems were required for a spell.  The only place I could find the info was page 226 of the manual, in the appendix:

QuoteSpells costing 100 fatigue or greater require one gem of the primary path. For every full 100 additional fatigue, a spell requires another gem. So for a spell
of 700 fatigue, like undead mastery, 7 gems are required (plus several more are probably advisable just for fatigue reduction).

Why isn't that in the chapter on, you know, magic?!  :o

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on March 15, 2013, 11:44:50 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 15, 2013, 02:06:32 PM

The magic system is definitely the deep end of the pool.  There's a huge amount of spells, and a fair amount of variety in mixing & matching crafted magic items on your Leaders.  One big hurdle in understanding how to maximize Magic-spamming is getting your Spellcasting Encumbrance and Reinvigoration to a good point where they're gaining only a small amount of extra fatigue, and regaining it as fast as possible, which entails tailoring your magic item loadouts quite specifically for each individual along with keeping them in some extra gems and programming their lead-off spells so they can cruise through the rest of the turns with the AI running them (and hopefully not tiring them out so much that they start sucking).

The next big hurdle for me is messing with the Communal Casting in the mid-to-late game.  I've not even tried it yet but read through the general concepts enough to have an idea.  That's where you pull out the big guns!  ;D

communion and sabbath - blew my mind reading that!!

Yskonyn

My turn was indeed submitted.
Llama is a bit weird when you try to control the hosting interval. For example, it did not accept my postponement request.
Instead I have now lengthened the hosting interval, but this does require me to keep tabs on things because once hosted I will stale.
And I am not sure how well the system works with shortening the interval, therefore I need to be careful with choosing a time.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out my half truth there, Nef ! You are completely correct.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."