2014 World Cup Running Commentary

Started by bayonetbrant, May 23, 2014, 11:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Bloody good game with USA and Belgium tonight.

It ain't finished - got another second half of extra time (15 minutes) - but whatever happens - the USA can hold their head up well high. They've played superb.
Alba gu' brath

Con

sad to see the US go out but it was a great game, thrilling, without any controversies and in the end as much as I hate to say it the better team won.

US can go off feeling like they gave it their all a bit of a better bounce earlier and we would be looking at penalty shoot outs right now.

Tim Howard was goalie of the tournament with his saves today, absolutely spectacular

Con

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Con on July 01, 2014, 05:47:56 PM
sad to see the US go out but it was a great game, thrilling, without any controversies and in the end as much as I hate to say it the better team won.

Tim Howard was goalie of the tournament with his saves today, absolutely spectacular

Con

Agreed.  It is a shame to not see them advance but they have a lot to work with going forward and I hope it only gets better from here.  Now the 4 year wait begins again.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

You know - we said going into the World Cup that getting out of the group was going to be a successful tournament.

You can be disappointed, but let's also be realistic - we beat Ghana, should've beat Portugal, and held off a tournament favorite for most of the game against Germany, and quite frankly, could have beat Belgium.  It would've been nice to hang on for the Portugal win, even tho it might've made no difference at all in the final reckoning (a 1-0 loss to Germany still leaves us in 2d), but overall it's hard to be too disappointed with this year's performance.

And if you don't believe me, go ask an Italian, or a Brit, or better yet, a Swede or a Ukrainian.

Now, go get 'em Costa Rica!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2014, 07:10:58 PM
You know - we said going into the World Cup that getting out of the group was going to be a successful tournament.

You can be disappointed, but let's also be realistic - we beat Ghana, should've beat Portugal, and held off a tournament favorite for most of the game against Germany, and quite frankly, could have beat Belgium.  It would've been nice to hang on for the Portugal win, even tho it might've made no difference at all in the final reckoning (a 1-0 loss to Germany still leaves us in 2d), but overall it's hard to be too disappointed with this year's performance.

And if you don't believe me, go ask an Italian, or a Brit, or better yet, a Swede or a Ukrainian.

Now, go get 'em Costa Rica!
Not a Brit - an Englishman - ask an Englishman.

Scotland gave up on major tournaments years ago for...personal reasons  ;)
Alba gu' brath

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

BanzaiCat

Finally, a Secretary of Defense with some balls.

Err...ball.

Marty Ward

So is anyone going to watch the WWII rematch or is the soccer fever over?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

bayonetbrant

I'm going to be watching every game I can.   O0

But I'm the soccer nut around here that also DVRs MLS games and can tell you about the CONCACAF teams that never made it out of the home-and-home quals to even get to the group stage that qualifies you for the hexagonal   :idiot2:
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

1982 is the first world cup i remember, in that one the german keeper ran out and destroyed a french player - oxygen needed on pitch, concussion, broken ribs - the ref was that shocked the keeper didnt even get a card and went on to save 2 penalties

TheCommandTent

I am looking forward to the remaining matches.  There are some many good ones especially if you also consider the countries histories with one another.

JudgeDredd

Holland Germany for the final is my prediction
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

you could have a final 4 of Germany-Brazil and Holland-Argentina

of course, you could also have Costa Rica sneak in there, too - GO TICOS!

MikeGER

Staggerwing

^Hey now! First you have to buy us dinner!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys