Jumping down the rabbit hole

Started by acctingman, May 26, 2019, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

So, to make a long story short, I want to try board games again.

I bought Panzer a while ago, but never touched it and eventually sold it here.

I've been playing a miniature table top game for the last year (Chain of Command) and I LOVE it. Great group of fellas I found, but the problem with a mini's game is setup/take down time. I live in small condo with my wife and I don't have the dedicated table space for a mini's game nor do I have the storage for all that stuff. However, I've now gotten this itch to play some war gaming via the board game approach. Quicker setup and less space.

I've been looking on BGG for various tactical board games. Mainly Panzer (yea, I know...shoulda held onto it), the Lock n Load tactical series and the Band of Brother series.

Panzer has the more detailed armored rules which is what drew me to it in the first place.

The Lock n Load Tactical series has the newer solo rules that work for ALL their tactical series which I think is a great idea (which excludes Conflict of Heroes..which I owned and played a couple timesand didn't care much for it).

I don't have much info about the BoB series, but I don't think they have a solo module for that series, but I do know that any game can be played solo.

Love to hear comments on any of the 3 mentioned games and what you like/dislike about them.

Thanks

Yskonyn

I have no experience with any, but I do own MBT, which is the modern warfare version of Panzer.
IMO it plays very well solo with the drawing of order chits to have the opfor act randomly.
It can obviously create some weird unrealistic events but entertainment wise it works fine.

I'd also recommend keeping an eye out for the recently kickstarted World at War '85 series reboot which will also feature a solo ruleset to 'train' with.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Worth noting for solo and/or tabletop setup-takedown purposes:

1.) Tabletop simulator can be your friend. Especially if you own the set already, you can more easily set up and re-set up your pieces, without shorting anyone profit from their work.

2.) TTS also has a few paid DLC, one of which (Warfighter modern) is nice for solo wargaming of a sort.

3.) Lock and Load will soon be releasing computer versions of its Tactical series -- maybe also Band of Brothers, I don't clearly recall. I think also revamps of their Heroes series, of which there are two kinds? (The kind represented by Heroes of Normandie, and the kind represented by Heroes of Stalingrad which is much groggier. The Tactical series could be revamping the latter. Many people here will be able to fill out those details better than me.)

Much further down the pipeline, GMT has commissioned Playdek to keep on (slowly) porting their catalogue to PC/mobile gaming. This will be expedient.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

I have played Panzer and own the original AH version of MBT. Greta detailed armour battles gaming to be had but the infantry side is rather bland. So if you are manly interested in tank on tank battles you can't go wrong with Panzer series.

Lock n Load Tactical Series.... now before I get started let me just tell you that I've been playing the system since 2005 and have worked with both publishers play testing and demoing the series. So I'm a bit biased.

If you want to find out what this game is like go to their site and download the FREE print and play demo game. It has all the rules and one Normandy and one Vietnam scenario to play.... for free. You can also download a excellent walk through of the Normandy scenario there.
If you don't want to print and play you can download the VASSAL module for the demo package and play through it on the PC just like the board game.

The series plays well without the solo rules, how I play most often, but the Solo module does add a nice AI opponent to play against.

acctingman

Thanks Barth...thanks everyone else too

The more I research/watch videos I'm finding out that most people who solo just play both sides. I've read quite a few LnL players don't even bother with the AI cards. As much as I love tanks, I don't think I want a tank focused game (maybe down the road as I know the rules are well received with the gaming community and I am intrigued with all the charts).

I'm going to look at both LnL tactial and the BoB series as I believe they are the same scale. I like platoon/squad level games but eventually I'd like to try larger games in the new future.

acctingman

Not wanting to create another thread...

anyone care to recommend a platoon (per counter) sized WW2 game they've enjoyed?

Thanks again

ArizonaTank

Quote from: acctingman on May 28, 2019, 10:37:16 AM
Not wanting to create another thread...

anyone care to recommend a platoon (per counter) sized WW2 game they've enjoyed?

Thanks again

I have enjoyed Paths of Hell a Warstorm series game... It is the game system that I had always hoped Panzer Blitz would be. So I have been collecting the series.  The list of games is at:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/37037/war-storms-series

It would be wrong not to mention the entire community built around Avalanche's Panzer Grenadier system...and there are probably 100+ titles in the series. I have a bunch of them, and have played with folks who are dedicated fans. But I personally have an issue with the way the system treats leader counters and leadership in general (Warstorm has a much better treatment IMHO)...  Also, Avalanche has very spotty support for Vassal, a requirement for me. So I have been divesting to make shelf room for Warstorm. 
The list of games is at:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/123/panzer-grenadier

Also, up and coming... Operation Dauntless and Red Winter.... I have them, but have not played. But folks that have really like them.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69234/operation-dauntless-battles-fontenay-and-rauray-fr
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38786/red-winter-soviet-attack-tolvajarvi-finland-8-12-d
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Barthheart

Avalon Hill's Original Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader games are still fun to play...at least for me.

LnLP has Nations at War, an offshoot for the World at War (1985 Modern series.) It' a fun lighter system.

acctingman

Thank you both.

I've looked at the NaW series on BGG and I'm going to put those on my want list. While there, I saw a couple reviews of Platoon Commander Deluxe: The Battle of Kursk and it looks pretty nice. Noticed it was the same designer of the 1st Ed of NaW games (I think).

Haven't checked out the Warstorm series, but for sure will.

Thanks again

I think this gives me enough to chew on for quite sometime between these titles and the squad level games I'm also eyeballing.

GroggyGrognard

My personal favorite WW2 tactical game in the past few years is Combat Commander from GMT Games. It's a fantastic card driven game that plays well. There are several battle pack modules for the game. To name a few: Normandy, Stalingrad, Paratroopers, and even Sea Lion. Lots of scenarios. I believe the core game is in its 4th printing. Highly recommended.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

acctingman

Thanks all. I'll for sure look at all the suggestions as time passes and I go through titles.

I wound up buying NaW:Desert Heat. I think it's entry level enough for me to start with.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Barthheart on May 28, 2019, 12:07:19 PM
Avalon Hill's Original Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader games are still fun to play...at least for me.

I loved PB in my youth. A year ago I opened it back up and played quite a bit of PB with a friend. In light of more recent gaming systems, PB disappointed me because of lack of opportunity fire. The resulting "gamey" strategies really ruined the game for me.

I understand there are house rules for opportunity fire, and maybe that will fix the problem, but have not tried. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Barthheart

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 30, 2019, 11:07:13 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on May 28, 2019, 12:07:19 PM

I loved PB in my youth. A year ago I opened it back up and played quite a bit of PB with a friend. In light of more recent gaming systems, PB disappointed me because of lack of opportunity fire. The resulting "gamey" strategies really ruined the game for me.

I understand there are house rules for opportunity fire, and maybe that will fix the problem, but have not tried.

There is an opportunity fire rule in Panzer Leader if I remember correctly. You could port that over easily enough.