Console Recommendations

Started by Bison, January 14, 2016, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

whilst disney infinity with my 8 year old is a blast in sandbox mode, she loves building worlds that make no sense to me at all, youre going to get hammered on the characters - every week - everytime you go shopping - everytime you pass the aisle - everytime you enter the supermarket

mirth

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 14, 2016, 04:49:27 PM
whilst disney infinity with my 8 year old is a blast in sandbox mode, she loves building worlds that make no sense to me at all, youre going to get hammered on the characters - every week - everytime you go shopping - everytime you pass the aisle - everytime you enter the supermarket

Heh. That's one of the reasons I've stayed away from it so far. I could sense what kind of money pit it would become.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

there are 16 sat on the shelf next to me - that took 3 months i think

Bison

What system are you playing it on?  I looked at them today and they do have a cost, but I think the toy box is a good imagination builder without the complexity of something like minecraft.  And compared to Legos Dimensions it's a bargain.  Holy crap is that pricy, but man do the let's play videos on youtube look awesome.

OJsDad

The characters vary in price.  O just got Minnie Mouse for about $14.  I saw Nick Fury for $10.  Also, we saw some at GameStop used.  Elsa was $13, so only a $1 savings. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Bison on January 14, 2016, 04:59:18 PM
What system are you playing it on?  I looked at them today and they do have a cost, but I think the toy box is a good imagination builder without the complexity of something like minecraft.  And compared to Legos Dimensions it's a bargain.  Holy crap is that pricy, but man do the let's play videos on youtube look awesome.

im on ps3 and playing DI2, but even 3 will work on a PS3, but shes not that into star wars - average price here is about £15, if anything some of the hulk and spiderman stuff got her into the films abit

Bison

I'd actually just consider staying with the PS3 longer but it's only an 80 GB system, which poses problems.

OJsDad

I was just at GameStop tonight and they had Disney Infinity 3.0 for $50. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

The deal has been set.  I'm good to go on getting an upgraded console.   Of course, I have some work to do to rearrange furniture and set up a craft/sewing area for the wife.  Not a bad trade off if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure I'll just go with the PS4, but I'm going to take the kids to BestBuy and Gamestop to let them play with the controllers and see which is better for them.   I'm thinking PS4 again just because the controllers are smaller, but we'll see.

I saw the same deal at Walmart, but I'll have to get the speedway expansion and some girl characters for the toy box portion if I decide to go with Disney Infinity over Lego Dimensions.

mirth

You really can't go wrong either way. Enjoy  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Congrats on the PS4.  Until my oldest bought me a 360 for Christmas six or so years ago, I always owned Playstations.  I miss my PS2 more than I miss the ex-wife who took it with her ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Jarhead0331

I have them all. I've got the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii and most recently the Wii U. Although I have all the systems connected, but for the Wii, I only play the next gen consoles presently.

Speaking strictly in terms of hardware, the PS4 is the most powerful, capable system. I also much prefer the PS interface/UI over the Xbox One. Microsoft recently redid the UI on the Xbone and I absolutely hate it. It is so much easier to find what you are looking for on the PS4. Furthermore, the Xbox is much more of a social media device, as opposed to a console for playing games and/or watching movies/listening to music. I feel that the PS4 is much more streamlined and I appreciate that.

That being said, there are games on Xbox that are exclusive, that in my opinion are must haves...Anything Halo, Gears of War, etc. Although PS4 has some nice exclusives too, I can't think of any off the top of my head that I just couldn't live without.

As for the Wii U, I picked it up for two reasons...one, the new game Xenoblade. Two, to slowly get my 2.5 year old daughter into gaming. The huge controller takes some getting used to, but I really like it now. Also, they do make a pro controller that is much more similar to the standard xbox/PS controllers. Xenoblade aside, though, I am hard pressed to find anything on the Wii U that I would actually want to play, and certainly, if its cross-platform, Wii U is the last system I would buy for.

So in my opinion, for a serious adult gamer, it comes down to either the PS4 or the Xbox One. Between those two, it then boils down to what kind of games you want to play, and what kind of experience you are looking for. For me, the PS4 wins out, but for others, the Xbox is the way to go. Either way, I think you'll be satisfied. They are both good systems that offer a lot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

I always thought I'd lean towards the Xbox, but I admit, my son's PS4 is pretty sleek. My father-in-law bought one and has a ton of games for it, so my kids and niece and nephew spent most of Christmas break sequestered in his bedroom playing all the games. ALL of them.

Barthheart

Does the PS4 have an online system?

One of the main reason me and my gaming group have Xboxes is because of Xbox live. We're spread out all over the province now and it's an easy way we can get together for some hack and slash gaming once a month. It costs me $70 CDN a year for that service and worth every penny. Also lets me play World of Tanks on my big screen....  :)

Haven't graduated to the Xbone yet..... need to save up on money and Wife points.....

BanzaiCat

There is an online PS4 component though I know fuck all about how it works. All I know is my mother in law bought my son a one year subscription to it for fifty bucks. He had to have online connectivity to play Elder Scrolls Online, which kind of sucks but I guess that's the nature of the consoles these days.

My Xbox 360 doesn't have connectivity...I needed some adapter that at the time cost $150 so I pretty much was 'nope' and just did without. I only played it about four times in four years before I gave it to my son, whom played it one time (that I know of anyway). It's sat in his room for two years at least without being powered on. I think I'm going to go sell it at Gamestop for a few bucks.