Fog:Emp multiplayer 2 -- BARBARIANS ARISE (game 2 running)

Started by JasonPratt, September 15, 2019, 02:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Since some other people have picked up the game recently (Huw among them), it occurred to me that an interesting multiplayer game might be made of players teaming up to solidify a region and then opposing the Successor states with our Confederation.

Game restarted Monday Oct 28.

CURRENT TEAMS:

Speedy, MetalDog and Tuna: MD takes Belgium, Tuna tags in with the Averni, and Speedy completes the continental Europe team with the Goths. Map here for reference.

Barth and Huw: take the Brigand/Brittone back-to-back-bros! (Respectively.) Map here for reference.

Blucher and I will be teaming in Southern Arabia, as the Qats and Sabs respectively: Map here for reference.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

I've tried a few games like this and the main problem is that everyone inevitably ends up with with objectives in each others territories, which makes for some awkwardness.

I'd be up to give it a shot with a proper group, though.  I've only tried it in ad hoc games with randoms, which doesnt lend itself to cooperative play.

Another good idea for an alternate FOGE game is making all the primary factions (Rome, Carthage, Alexandrian successors, etc.) AI controlled and only let players pick secondary or minor nations.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tripoli

One other possiblity: It is possible to play multiple powers.  You could set up a game where the players got to pick one major/one minor power, or two mid-ranked powers, separated by at least half the length of the map.  After 30 or 50 turns, the player would have to chose which power to stop playing. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Huw the Poo

I'll leave the decision of type of game to you guys who are more experienced, but I'm totally in!

JasonPratt

Quote from: al_infierno on September 15, 2019, 02:39:31 PM
I've tried a few games like this and the main problem is that everyone inevitably ends up with with objectives in each others territories, which makes for some awkwardness.

Hm, yes that's true, I had forgotten that. The computer has a list of objectives it runs down in order (more or less inevitably in my experience) for each faction, including capitals of other factions. Not getting those objectives leads to potentially stagnant factions (or worse, degrading ones).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

devoncop

My vote would be for a vanilla game.

The more restrictions and "special rules" you make the less satisfactory the game in my opinion...(I have played or am still playing in about 40 games and have definitely found this to be the case).

Co-op games are fine initially but the whole point of the game is to try and win on Legacy so it can never last and some folks don't like it when one player breaks away.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

Quote from: devoncop on September 15, 2019, 03:56:25 PM

The more restrictions and "special rules" you make the less satisfactory the game in my opinion...(I have played or am still playing in about 40 games and have definitely found this to be the case).

Co-op games are fine initially but the whole point of the game is to try and win on Legacy so it can never last and some folks don't like it when one player breaks away.

I'll take your word for it as you're clearly the resident Grogheads FOG:E expert  :D
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on September 15, 2019, 04:01:00 PM
Quote from: devoncop on September 15, 2019, 03:56:25 PM

I'll take your word for it as you're clearly the resident Grogheads FOG:E expert  :D

Pah !!

Obsessive ......maybe.....

"Expert" .....Definitely not !  :)

devoncop

MetalDog

I think I would be willing to throw my hat in the ring for this.  Somebody should alert Tuna this is going on.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

besilarius

In regards to set up, this multiplayer group would have a lot of fun with running a rather large faction, say Antigonids, and a small faction, like the Picts.  The two factions should be far away from each other, so they could not combine, or fight each other.
This allows a full gaming experience, with lots of opportunity for diplomacy and treachery.
At the end, add the two factions results to determine the winning player.

A group ran a game in the ancient's world in the time of Stilicho.  There were five players, two had East Roman factions and three had West Roman factions.  Then they also got a barbarian tribe. 
The barbs were allocated so that they were far away from the player's Roman holding.  For example, the East Roman in Egypt and Syria had the Picts.  If a barbarian tribe was destroyed, then the Roman player got a new tribe in replacement.
Was  agreat game.  The diplomacy and back stabbing was deliciously epic.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

How would that work in this game? -- I mean multiple players running one large faction (like Antigonids or Selucids)?

Barthheart

JasonPratt

I pinged Tuna on Steam chat with the link.

As long as we all understand that the goal is one for all -- whoever puts the ball over the goalpost we all win -- I don't really foresee a problem with a confederation of cooperative weak nations. We'll just have to work out diplomatically who should get what objective areas, so far as possible, and then accept that some objective areas will not be shareable.

Legacy points could be considered "combined", too. Not that the game will recognize this, but the game is just a bunch of automatic reactions pingponging around after all. ;)

And we can have other goals that we would consider for the win. For example, take a relatively Roman goal: eliminate the Successor states and control their areas.