Fog:Emp multiplayer 2 -- BARBARIANS ARISE (game 2 running)

Started by JasonPratt, September 15, 2019, 02:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I forgot to mention, Blucher, that I figured out how to get rid of my Judean clients raiding you off shore -- though sort of by accident!

Without a region anymore, they didn't have a capital to properly transact with, and attempting to do so led to the message that I had to go through their client state (which was me, of course!) So I chose to break their client state agreement, figuring they'd still have a pretty high reputation with me and then I could offer to absorb their nation or something, maybe ask them to reduce their military to 10%.

What actually happened, was that without any regions to support them, and being unable to mooch off me in my regions anymore, their remaining troops and ships simply quit!

Amusingly, the game told me this with the message that Saba (me) was no longer a client state of Judea!  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Blucher

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 20, 2020, 07:00:48 PM
I forgot to mention, Blucher, that I figured out how to get rid of my Judean clients raiding you off shore -- though sort of by accident!

Without a region anymore, they didn't have a capital to properly transact with, and attempting to do so led to the message that I had to go through their client state (which was me, of course!) So I chose to break their client state agreement, figuring they'd still have a pretty high reputation with me and then I could offer to absorb their nation or something, maybe ask them to reduce their military to 10%.

What actually happened, was that without any regions to support them, and being unable to mooch off me in my regions anymore, their remaining troops and ships simply quit!

Amusingly, the game told me this with the message that Saba (me) was no longer a client state of Judea!  ::)

Well that ends the Judean raids once and for all. I have no problem giving you Arabia Felix. I hope I can hold on to the Abyss my ruler is pretty crappy right now. How do you make conquered peoples happy?

JasonPratt

Some happiness is temporary due to being conquered etc., and will go away over time.

Some happiness is sort-of temporary due to having a lot of workers in culture: it helps while they're there, but it doesn't permanently increase.

Winning battles and not being at war make one-time adjustments, but don't improve things over time really.

Some properties (especially purple) add a flat increase to loyalty for existing, but don't improve things steadily.

Having troops in the area improves loyalty steadily at a rate of 1/8th of a point per company of troops, up to a maximum improvement of 3 points per turn from 24 companies. There may be special troops adept at this, but I've never found them yet; so throwing together the most cost-effective companies possible is the ticket there. I've got a bunch of skirmishers grouped together into 24 unit peace corps. ;) But that's still a very expensive way to do it.

On the other hand, I know for a fact that loyalty steadily increases under some circumstances even without troops in the region. Sometimes. This has to do with conversion of workgroups (and their representative populations) to free citizens of your ethnicity, I think. Your capital will always be a hotbed of problems for this reason, if you're out conquering left and right and sending back slaves.

The new upgrade (even if you don't buy the DLC) has some tools to help with this, especially the ability to (sometimes) disperse slaves in one region to adjacent regions (whether you own them or not), which can spread out their inherent unrest to manageable levels. However, this (along with some other upgraded game factors) doesn't affect multiplayer games.

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, you said in game-chat that you'd like me to keep managing the Abyss. Did you mean Major, with you taking minor? Or both Ethiopia provinces? (If so, you should gift the remnant portions to me.)

Did you want to accept the Nubias? You wouldn't have direct contact with them if you let go of either of the Abyssian provinces, but you could always get to them through my regions of course in that case.

Blucher

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 21, 2020, 03:59:38 PM
Meanwhile, you said in game-chat that you'd like me to keep managing the Abyss. Did you mean Major, with you taking minor? Or both Ethiopia provinces? (If so, you should gift the remnant portions to me.)

Did you want to accept the Nubias? You wouldn't have direct contact with them if you let go of either of the Abyssian provinces, but you could always get to them through my regions of course in that case.

Jason I apologize for the confusion. There is a delay on messages in game. I have no interest in running Nubia and I think I will just keep Abyss minor if possible. I will also tranfer to you Arabia Felix once I figure out how to do that.

JasonPratt

I think you could do that by going to the offered transaction, clicking the counter-proposal button in the middle, and deleting my offered Nubian provinces from my side (by right clicking on them if I recall correctly). That would leave over the Abyss Minor region I was offering (the Major province isn't stable enough yet for me to safely offer you), and the remaining Arab Felix region I was asking for in exchange for all that.

On top of that, if you're going to let me keep and manage Abyss Major, you've got a remaining region of that under your control, and there's no reason to continue with it; so you should add that on your side of the offer.

Then resend the transaction, and I'll accept it.

Before you alter the proposition to send over the final Arab Felix region, be sure this is not still your original capitol! -- I don't want you penalized for 'losing' it! I don't think it is, or I wouldn't have asked for it -- I think you lost it to a general rebellion many turns ago, and while you were off on vacation somewhere I recovered and stabilized your lost regions, returning them to you when you got back. Still, just to be safe...

Once I get Charcareina (or however it's spelled) stabilized and up and running, I'll transfer that province over to you of course, for your side of Arabia; and possibly Mesopotamia minor.

Blucher

Ok I accepted the proposal you sent not sure if it was up to date with what we discussed here. Worse comes to worse you can hash it out again next turn and I will accept. My capital moved to some place in the United Arab Emirates.

JasonPratt

I'm sure the proposal I originally sent was not up to date! -- but as soon as I log in and catch up, I'll make an adjustment transaction offer.

JasonPratt

Okay, the original transaction went through, so you've traded your original capital for all of both Nubian provinces, plus a region of AbyssMinor.

The game won't allow me to send in a request for the Nubian provinces back (too negative in the exchange), so if you don't want to manage them you'll have to set up the transaction to give them back from your side. (You can give over the final AbyssMajor region, too, while you're at it, so it can benefit from provincial bonuses.)

Speedy

JasonPratt

I didn't think they were quite that near the 3x position??

JasonPratt

Okay, huh. I could have sworn I set up the game for a 3x score auto-win. But oh well.

So, technically the game continues after the win (I think), until the final year of the range (sometime in 2nd century AD if I recall correctly). Does anyone want to continue? I'll save the game where I am and do a turn later if so.

Alternately we can restart with variant or similar setups. The "Alpine Wall" game proved VERY challenging. ;)

JasonPratt

Ah, okay -- tried to save my position for continuing, since the game seemed to be suggesting it was possible to continue -- and it just quit! No save option.

So that's the end of that game period; it doesn't even exist anymore in my list.

Still, we did pretty well. Averni (Tuna) looks like he came closest to winning among us, on Legacy; and he and the Goths (Speedy) went very far in consolidating Europe. Barthheart went idle some time ago, but his team managed to conquer Britain (even after Huw decided he didn't like the game in its current state -- this was back before the big update helping diplomatic transactions).

Speedy

I just finished my turn and clicked the end turn button and it didn't give me an option to post a message it does however still have the game listed in my opponents turn section.