Zweihander Grim & Perilous Expansion on KS

Started by Nefaro, August 07, 2018, 10:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

(High fives with my chaos twisted tentacle hand thing)

bayonetbrant

the thing is, I honestly doubt I'll ever play an adventure with this game, but $5 for 700 pages of RPG reading goodness is too good to pass up
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Tpek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 13, 2018, 02:00:22 PM
the thing is, I honestly doubt I'll ever play an adventure with this game, but $5 for 700 pages of RPG reading goodness is too good to pass up

Same here.

And now that I think about it, I seem to have a permanent very high negative modifier to my Will saving throws against buying games.  :))

bayonetbrant

holy shit - this gets better and better...

apparently, I've already purchased it about 2 years ago ::)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 13, 2018, 07:42:58 PM

I think you grabbed it that day they were giving them away for free. 

I recall posting about it and I think you replied that you had grabbed it.  :-"

Yskonyn

The more I read the more I discover this is quite a ways outside my comfort zone (in that it requires a completely different approach to my usual roleplaying);
The book specifically states the game rules are less suited for your typical dungeon romp where a bunch of adventurers go in, save the day and get some loot.

This game is much more about players being as common as the folk around them struggling with the grim life in their perilous world.
How would you guys play the (imo) more border case professions like hookers and dockworkers and the like? Would you just play them as such in Tier 1 and advance them towards combat professions in later Tiers?

I ask because I have no experience roleplaying in this setting and am interested in what you guys think.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on August 13, 2018, 11:34:05 PM

that might well be it.

File creation date says last October.

Tpek

Oh man, I really should start checking this part of the forum more often.

bayonetbrant

yep, here it is...

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 30, 2017, 06:23:14 PM
dude - thanks! that's awesome :)

I always liked the setting from WFRP, but the rules never resonated w/ me.

O0

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 14, 2018, 08:04:12 AM

yep, here it is...

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 30, 2017, 06:23:14 PM
dude - thanks! that's awesome :)

I always liked the setting from WFRP, but the rules never resonated w/ me.

O0

It's always nice getting a reminder that my memory is still functioning.  Sometimes I forget it continues to work.

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 14, 2018, 02:51:16 AM
The more I read the more I discover this is quite a ways outside my comfort zone (in that it requires a completely different approach to my usual roleplaying);
The book specifically states the game rules are less suited for your typical dungeon romp where a bunch of adventurers go in, save the day and get some loot.

This game is much more about players being as common as the folk around them struggling with the grim life in their perilous world.
How would you guys play the (imo) more border case professions like hookers and dockworkers and the like? Would you just play them as such in Tier 1 and advance them towards combat professions in later Tiers?

I ask because I have no experience roleplaying in this setting and am interested in what you guys think.

As previously mentioned, I'd summarize WFRP style role-playing as much like:

"Call Of Cthulhu in a fantasy setting"

Cultists everywhere.  People and beasts and monsters warped by dark demon gods plotting to take over, etc.  It generally leans towards similar deadly investigative themes.

Tpek

WFRP is hardly as deadly to the characters as CoC.
In CoC, practically everything kills you, drives you insane, or both, including leveling your character. :P

airboy

Quote from: Tpek on August 20, 2018, 05:18:29 AM
In CoC, practically everything kills you, drives you insane, or both, including leveling your character. :P

Call of Cthulhu is not known for its "character development."  Great game to solve mysteries, but a "Cthulhu Campaign" is almost oxymoron.

Tpek

Quote from: airboy on August 20, 2018, 09:02:29 AM

Call of Cthulhu is not known for its "character development."  Great game to solve mysteries, but a "Cthulhu Campaign" is almost oxymoron.

I actually wondered when I read some old edition CoC core rules, why even bother with an advancement system. How long do they expect individual characters to survive?

But if you want a game with even less character survival-rates, try Paranoia! :D

Nefaro

Deadly?  Not quite so.  Although there is definitely a high chance of permanent injury, maiming, mutation, and mental issues due to corruption in this one.   It's much closer to CoC style than D&D.   ^-^