Tripoli invades the South in Civil War II!

Started by Jarhead0331, November 11, 2019, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

You're off to a great start Tripoli.  O0  Kentucky being neutral at the start of the game means neither side is able to enter it's territory until after events cause one side or the other to cross the border into the state. Up to that point, Kentucky is a great big shield against your enemy but you need to have forces ready to respond whenever you can cross the border to grab the very valuable Strategic Cities there.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Tripoli on November 29, 2019, 06:42:12 PM
Quote from: airboy on November 29, 2019, 06:27:08 PM
Bought the game from Matrix.

Question - Didn't the North have an extensive campaign in Kentucky early in the War?

Yes, they did.  But Kentucky was neutral until September 4, 1861.  Lincoln didn't want to violate its neutrality, as he was trying to woo it into the Union.  His comment "I hope to have God on my side, But I must have Kentucky" illustrates the importance of the state to the Union.  Only when Confederate general Polk violated its borders to seize Columbus did Kentucky (with some machinations by the Union) flip to the Union side.   I'll probable cover some of this history in the next installment of the AAR.

Thanks.  Month-by-month early war issues have been forgotten.

Tripoli

Quote from: airboy on November 30, 2019, 10:18:50 AM
Quote from: Tripoli on November 29, 2019, 06:42:12 PM
Quote from: airboy on November 29, 2019, 06:27:08 PM
Bought the game from Matrix.

Question - Didn't the North have an extensive campaign in Kentucky early in the War?

Yes, they did.  But Kentucky was neutral until September 4, 1861.  Lincoln didn't want to violate its neutrality, as he was trying to woo it into the Union.  His comment "I hope to have God on my side, But I must have Kentucky" illustrates the importance of the state to the Union.  Only when Confederate general Polk violated its borders to seize Columbus did Kentucky (with some machinations by the Union) flip to the Union side.   I'll probable cover some of this history in the next installment of the AAR.

Thanks.  Month-by-month early war issues have been forgotten.

For my money, the campaigns in the western and trans-Mississippi theaters were the most interesting, so I'm hoping to cover them in a little detail in the AAR
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

I agree. Anyone interested in learning to play this game, beyond the tutorials, should try the Western Campaign. It's less about combat and more about building infrastructure and a viable supply line to west Texas. The North has plenty of troops in California and Colorado but getting them to El Paso without starving to death is the real challenge. Looking forward to more Tripoli.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

This reminds me how whenever I play the South in Forge of Freedom (...which maybe I'll do a comparative AAR on...? Maybe after Tripoli's?), the North always seems to IMMEDIATELY invade Kentucky. Which flips it to the Confederacy of course, but on the other hand Kentucky is mostly knocked out of the war by the invasion and now my beloved Tennessee is the battle-border state. Suffering invasions from the North through Kentucky on a regular basis.  :P
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Kentucky is a bit of a conundrum.  Gary Grigsby's "War Between the States" does a good job of forcing the Union player to balance the advantages of seizing some key terrain in Kentucky, with the disadvantages of  it switching to the Confederate side.  In "The Grand Design: Strategy and the US Civil War" (p. 48) Donald Stoker writes:

"The lack of Unionist restraint had contributed to the eruption of civil war in Missouri: Lincoln insisted things go differently in Kentucky. When [it] declared its neutrality, Lincoln adopted a wait-and-see approach...Lincoln considered possession of Kentucky ...critical to eventual Union success because of its position along the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, as well as the possible influence it might exert on the other border states."

See also https://youtu.be/5MeAfq6XKAs?t=649 for a presentation by Stoker on Kentucky and its neutrality and the violation of that neutrality.

JasonPratt

Worth noting that AgCW2 has been nicely simulating the touchy Missouri early situation in your game! (That doesn't happen worth anything in ForgoFree.)

Just don't send any redlegs to burn farms, or you'll make Clint Eastwood mad.  :knuppel2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 02, 2019, 01:24:42 PM
Worth noting that AgCW2 has been nicely simulating the touchy Missouri early situation in your game! (That doesn't happen worth anything in ForgoFree.)

Just don't send any redlegs to burn farms, or you'll make Clint Eastwood mad.  :knuppel2:

Would you, perhaps, be thinking of this scene:
https://youtu.be/dCPcoNo_OkM?t=55

Or possibly this scene:
https://youtu.be/StEAPPLbPJw?t=186

Or maybe this one? 
https://youtu.be/zLRlY46ttfE

:)

JasonPratt

Jarhead0331

I would be playing this game now too, if I had any chance of running the war in even a remotely competent fashion.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 02, 2019, 05:09:47 PM
I would be playing this game now too, if I had any chance of running the war in even a remotely competent fashion.

That's why I like playing US Civil War games as the Union.  I can always blame my poor performance on McClellan... ;D

Sir Slash

I was hopelessly inept at this game until I watched Spink Akron's excellent series on the game on YouTube covering the confusing parts of Supply, Organization, Leadership, and much more. Then I couldn't get enough of the game. Now I'm only moderately inept at it.  :bd:

Tripoli

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 02, 2019, 10:53:44 PM
I was hopelessly inept at this game until I watched Spink Akron's excellent series on the game on YouTube covering the confusing parts of Supply, Organization, Leadership, and much more. Then I couldn't get enough of the game. Now I'm only moderately inept at it.  :bd:

Thanks-I was unaware of the videos.  I'll have to take a look. 

Sir Slash

You're welcome. They really peaked my interest and understanding of the game.

Martok

Quote from: Tripoli on December 01, 2019, 11:33:02 AM
Kentucky is a bit of a conundrum.  Gary Grigsby's "War Between the States" does a good job of forcing the Union player to balance the advantages of seizing some key terrain in Kentucky, with the disadvantages of  it switching to the Confederate side. 
Crap.  Now you make me want to fire up that game too (although I never have truly learned how to play it).  Sigh. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces