Star Wars 9 - Rise of Skywalker

Started by Grim.Reaper, April 12, 2019, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: airboy on December 18, 2019, 12:02:45 PM
I would be happy if they did not remake, again, what had already been done previously.  Rogue 1 was the only "original" after the first three that I found interesting.

Probably heresy to Star Wars fans, but aside from Rogue 1 I found everything after the first three to be meh at best.  Plus, I dislike Yoda, hate Ewoks, and was irritated they put a four lane highway to destroy the second death star in the 3rd movie.

Flame away if you wish, but after the first 2 (aside from Yoda) it was all downhill.

I agree, but in addition to Rogue One, I also enjoyed Solo. I thought the brief ground combat sequences were the most authentic from any of the films.

Episodes I, II, III, VII and VIII were garbage. Although V, VI and VII are watchable with nothing better to do.  VIII, The Last Jedi, was perhaps the most egregious of all and may have actually ruined the entire series. I am extremely skeptical whether Rise of Skywalker can save the IP. I'm not holding my breath.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

I'll have to watch solo again, I actually fell asleep watching it at the drive in...wasn't sure if because boring or because old and I couldn't stay up that late:)

I am certainly a Star Wars fan boy so I love and will watch anything they throw at me but certainly some movies were better than others

Sir Slash

I always like Star Wars movies more, the more times I watch them, including the original. I think my expectations are too high going in to really like them and a second or third viewing reveals more subtle details I missed earlier. Still the last one was a dog. And I LIKE dogs. But not that one.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Oh dear.

FWIW, there's a CNN spoiler free review that basically states just the opposite of that Forbes review.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

I think we will see a lot of positive reviews as well as negative reviews, pretty typical with the series:)

I am staying away from all material related to avoid any potential spoilers and want to form my own opinion....reviewers and I seldom agree:)

Huw the Poo

If it's actually worse than The Last Jedi, I will have to adjust my internal definition of the word 'crap'. :D

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

The best current Star Wars isn't to be found in a Movie Theater, is streaming on Disney + right now. 

I'll give Rise of Skywalker a chance, but I'm more excited about the next two episodes of Mandalorian.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

It's interesting that the "access media" invited especially to the premier, gave an average 55% on RT (for a while at first anyway, not sure where it currently is).

GEORGE LUCAS (apparently) didn't get invited. They did. (Lucas wasn't on the public list for attendees, though it's entirely possible he wouldn't or couldn't make it even though he was invited; so then he wouldn't have been on the list.)

There's a rumor going around, with some solidity (from sources that have proven dependable in the past), that Lucas was asked to try saving Episode 9 in post; and he came up with an edit which incorporated thirty extra minutes (part of the footage being filmed up until recently), which tested significantly better (at 85%) than any of the prior ten or twelve test edits. But they aren't using that edit, evidently -- if this rumor has any accuracy to it.

Bro is taking the girls to see it with a neighbor family Friday night. I'm curious in a way, but I won't see it in theaters unless (1) I can go with family, and/or (2) I start seeing good reviews from people I trust (i.e. who agreed with me about the quality of 7 and especially 8).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Only you can help us now, IGN!

...oh. Um.

To paraphrase myself slightly from elsewhere: that was the nicest 7.0 grade to a 2-star review I've ever seen.

At least RT's score has gone up to 56%!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Emergency Awesome has a much more positive review:

JasonPratt

An appreciative meh from the Mr. Sunday Movies crew?

Destraex

Just saw it and can confirm it is useless pointless crap cobbled together for maximum randomness.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"