Star Wars 9 - Rise of Skywalker

Started by Grim.Reaper, April 12, 2019, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Oh, I'm not actually complaining about a lack of plot details in an early teaser trailer (even one as sumptiously produced as this one). I totally understand it.

Nor do I want trailers which spoil increasing amounts of plot. {looks at the G2019 trailers} {or rather tries not to look because they keep spoiling awesome things}

I do expect trailers to eventually give me a basic idea of the plot however. Even if it's only a basic idea of the first 20 minutes of plot.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Based on the original Had Abbadon draft of Revenge of the Jedi by Lucas, and the events of the Vader Comic, Rebels and Empire's End, I feel I have figured out what "Rise of Skywalker" will be.  I'm not sure the "Skywalker" that you expect is the one that's going to be what they're going for.

Io9 seems to agree in a recent article.  Rebels and the Vader Comic seeded some really good wild stuff with the World between Worlds and Lord Moimin and the veil between life and death. 

Lucas intended the final battle on Had Abbadon to be the breaking of the veil.  That it'd need to pierce life and death to defeat the Emperor, who already had the mastery of these things.

Going to share it with a few people and we'll see if I'm right.

But, step one, read the first "Had Abbadon" draft of Revenge of the Jedi. The Lava room scene is pretty important to the whole "The Dead Return" theme that we're being led to.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

W8taminute

So I finally got around to watching the trailer.  All I'll say is "Have you ever heard the tragedy of episode 8?"

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Dammit Carl!

However it turns out, it will be kind of interesting to be able to say to someone that "why yes, I have seen all 9 Star Wars movies - not including the stand alone ones - in actual movie theaters - some multiple times," in that smug, Simpson's Comic Store Guy voice.

It's the little things, eh?

Tpek

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on April 16, 2019, 03:59:28 PM
However it turns out, it will be kind of interesting to be able to say to someone that "why yes, I have seen all 9 Star Wars movies - not including the stand alone ones - in actual movie theaters - some multiple times," in that smug, Simpson's Comic Store Guy voice.

Saying that about the original trilogy I can understand, but the newer ones?!

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Tpek on April 16, 2019, 05:40:57 PM

I'm a completionist by nature, so yeah.

JasonPratt

We're not far from the actual release of the film, and puzzlingly the trailers so far have barely given an idea about it -- mostly trading on nostalgia.

According to a rumor from inside production (and taking this with a huge grain of salt), the reason for the scattershot trailers so far, is that the film was shot largely without a script (seems unlikely) and JJ Abrams has a bunch of different editing cuts of the film that he's trying to choose from for release -- which sounds plausible.

In other words, what has been presented so far is advanced market research, to try to see which ideas for stories be most acceptable and thus draw the largest initial and repeat audiences.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Barthheart

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on April 16, 2019, 05:43:11 PM
Quote from: Tpek on April 16, 2019, 05:40:57 PM

I'm a completionist by nature, so yeah.

Dammit Carl! I'm with you.  :nerd:

W8taminute

I respect that and understand what you mean Dammit Carl. 

For me however, the needs of story without the taint of heresy outweigh the needs of the completionist. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

JasonPratt

Me: What? Jeremy liked it?! THANK GOD!?!?

Jeremy: ".......I might owe you a bit of an apology, for trolling you with that thumbnail..."

Me:  :hide:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

only 1 day and 17 hours until i see it....but who is counting:)

Gusington

Been catching up on The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi with the kids as well as enjoying The Mandalorian. Have been enjoying most of the new movies and series so much more than the Phantom Menace movies. Except for Solo...I guess I should rewatch that again, didn't enjoy it as I had hoped. Loved Rogue One.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I would be happy if they did not remake, again, what had already been done previously.  Rogue 1 was the only "original" after the first three that I found interesting.

Probably heresy to Star Wars fans, but aside from Rogue 1 I found everything after the first three to be meh at best.  Plus, I dislike Yoda, hate Ewoks, and was irritated they put a four lane highway to destroy the second death star in the 3rd movie.

Flame away if you wish, but after the first 2 (aside from Yoda) it was all downhill.